Intercooled guys with the throttle body re-located…

Well, you pretty much answered your own question. The a/c goes away. The alt. would need to be moved, too. All that heat right under it if you use 86-7 exhaust manifolds is not good on alternators. If you went that far, you may just as well convert completely over to the 86/7 setup. The hotair intake just isn't as good(if left stock) as the 86/7 setup.

Maybe you could get away with going the way you describe if you also get the serpentine belt setup from the 86/7's...That would relocate the a/c and alt to the driver's side and that would solve that problem, but then, you would have to relocate the coil pack/ignition module somewhere else and by that time, you are just basically an intake manifold change away from having the 86/7 setup anyway...

Intercooled88s sells all the parts to do the conversion $1600.00
IMO Cheapest way you can go.
Remember you are buying 21 year old parts.
I bought a 87 T-Type got it running correctly then took what I needed and parted out the rest.
Car was a rust bucket from the Northeast anyway
I can tell you this if you are not perpared to spend a TON of money don't change from the Hot air.
Going faster is much easier with 87 parts and even the 87 guy's get tied up in it ( I'm one)
With all the 86/87 part available it WILL suck you in.
I could have bought TWO good 87GN's for the money I have in this 84GN
And been ahead
Don't get me wrong, I really like my 84GN because it's different And I get a lot of second looks because of the setup but I've spent a lot of money.
Her nick name is The Money Pit:smile:

Great I think I''ll Just Convert fully to 87. But, for now I have a Powermaster issue to resolve.

This board is a great source for information on just about anything our turbo cars.
As a new member read, and read some more.
Most likely your question will get answers

Conn is right he has been a great help to me thus far. Though I would suggest you use the "from the start" option on posts viewed. The search tool bar almost never works for me. So just go through the list and scan.

conversion to 87

i did this on two motors and have a complete 87 lower intake upper plenum throttle body all silver hpc coated with the stock 84 fuel like and 30 lb injectors that have never even been used on it for sale just take it and install it onto your block then youll be 80% there the only thing i dont have on that intake is the bracket that holds the coil pack in the back

i can get you pics sometime this week if youre intrested 700.00 for everything on that intake and you can have it

im building a different setup on that car now

boosted1@yahoo.com

slawek

602-758-2346

I have had a V2 intake sitting in my Garage for like 12 months now lol :tongue: . So much little stuff that has to go with it. I think I have pritty much every thing.

So how many of us here are actually running some kind of intercooled hot air setup??

I have had a V2 intake sitting in my Garage for like 12 months now lol :tongue: . So much little stuff that has to go with it. I think I have pritty much every thing.

So how many of us here are actually running some kind of intercooled hot air setup??

lots of mods you got there! :cool:

Question.

Is the only intercooler out there for us 84/85 guys the Spearco? Or are there other ones?

Here is a pic of mine of course I am not done yet but you may get the idea, lol.

Attachments

• HPIM0500 [320x200].JPG
    HPIM0500 [320x200].JPG
    27.3 KB · Views: 875
Nice set up Dees. My buddy is trying to urge me not to go fully '87 and to just mount the turbo further over like that. Could you take some pics of how you modified the header and put it out that far?

Nice set up Dees. My buddy is trying to urge me not to go fully '87 and to just mount the turbo further over like that. Could you take some pics of how you modified the header and put it out that far?

Here is one:

Attachments

• HPIM0501 [320x200].JPG
    HPIM0501 [320x200].JPG
    28.6 KB · Views: 856
Is there any way you could do a larger picture. Do you have the serp set up on there? And I don't seem to see a manifold and flange connected.

Yes everything clears, I had to cut the ac mounting bracket alot, and still need to cut a lil bit more off to fit the Dp in there. The only thing that sucks about this is that the compressor housing is hitting the hood, which I new would be a problem when I looked at the turbo in there before I welded up the manifold. So, since I am on a budget here I think that I am just going to cut a little bit of the "ribbing" off of the hood and make sure the motor is braced well and leave it at that. In the future though when not on such a strict budget(wife, lol), I am going to make at a minumum a new pass side manifold. well, enough said for now here are a few pics and it is still just "tac'd" up

pics

Attachments

• HPIM0508 [640x480].JPG
    HPIM0508 [640x480].JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 443
  • HPIM0509 [640x480].JPG
    HPIM0509 [640x480].JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 443
  • HPIM0510 [640x480].JPG
    HPIM0510 [640x480].JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 440
  • HPIM0511 [640x480].JPG
    HPIM0511 [640x480].JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 445
  • HPIM0512 [640x480].JPG
    HPIM0512 [640x480].JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 445
Throttle body relocation

Attachments

• HPIM0513 [640x480].JPG
    HPIM0513 [640x480].JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 442
  • HPIM0514 [640x480].JPG
    HPIM0514 [640x480].JPG
    84.9 KB · Views: 444
Me likey!!!! That's pretty much what my buddy wants to do. Still unsure about it, but it's nice to see someone else had the same exact idea and is working on it. That looks like a strange angle into the intercooler though. But it could just be the shot. Thumbs up :eek:

Well........................not exactly how the IC is going in there, lol. It is not mounted in there yet. Hopefully I can get away with just using a 3" 90* coupler strait in to it though. Thanks for the comment and hope this may help your buddy.