Installed new heads, no oil getting to rockers

TrAb

BOOSTIN
Hey i installed a set of champion iron heads about a week ago. I got the car up and going and everything was good, the car set for a few days since it has been raining / to cold for me. Anyways i start it up and there is a ticking noise from my valves that wasnt there before. So i take off the valve cover and no oil is making it to the top end. Should i have primed the oil system after the install? I read a install guide and it didnt mention doing that after the head installation. I have drove the car for probably 10 minutes after the install so hopefully nothing is damaged. Thanks guys

Would drain the oil and check for metal--cut the filter open also.

Well i changed the oil imediatly after the head install to get all the coolant out of it. I drained the oil last night after i heard the ticking and it was very clean no bearing material what so ever. Which was surprising to me.

Normally when you have water contamination you need to change the oil a few times.

Well i changed it after i finished the install, drove it for the ten minutes or so. Then changed it again when i got back, the oil did not have any visible contamination on this change. Then the car sat and now it is making the ticking noise from the rockers.

Have you pulled the cam position sensor and primed it yet?

I have not, i just bought a tool from orielly's so i was going to do that tonight. Main question is, was i suppose to re prime it or not usually with just a head swap?

Having just primed my motor. Did you verify that oil was coming to the rockers when you did the initial oil priming. I had the drill running while I turned the crank to different positions. It took some time but the oil finally came up. If you haven't checked I would do it again. Go rent a gauge and check the oil pressure while priming.
Just re read your question. No priming is needed for a head swap.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

When you change heads it is not necessary to prime eng. With that being said i would suggest priming system now to see if oil will come up .

no, swapping the heads will not cause the oil pump to lose prime. Do you have a functioning 'oil' idiot light?

On a stock car I have not had any problems with losing oil pressure from taking off the heads.

With a remote oil filter setup or turbo saver, I had to prime the oil pump. The car started and the gauge was reading zero. So I pulled the cam sensor, got the pump to prime and had to reset the cam sensor. It did the trick.

If you dont have a light or gauge, take the oil supply line to the turbo off and put it in something to catch oil. Then you can see when the pump finally primes and you are pumping oil again.

DON'T do it with the motor running or you will have a mess!

no, swapping the heads will not cause the oil pump to lose prime. Do you have a functioning 'oil' idiot light?
I have no clue about that, i know the bulbs are good as i just replaced them all. But i did disconnect the turbo's oil drain and feed line and left them unhooked for over a week. I wonder if that could of made it loose its prime?

If you turn the key on without cranking the engine, the oil light should illuminate.

Theoraticaly, leaving the oil feed open might cause as loss of prime. It would be a source of a vacuum breaker. I would image it would take sometime to cause it, but I've never tested that theory. Any time I take my line loose I put a vacuum nipple over it.

Hopefully you didn't get any debris in the line before hooking it back up to the turbo.

Yea, i know that not priming a engine and running it is horrible for the engine. BUT, wouldent the oil system have done the same thing im about to do with the priming tool and eventually primed itself in my 10min drive?

Yes, it definitely should have. Was there antifreeze in the car? And did it get into the oil before you changed the heads?

No there was only water in the cooling system and no it did not get into the engine before the head install. It only got in when i removed the heads...

Check your pushrods to make sure you still have preload on them and that your rocker shafts are secure.