Initial impression on PTE 6262 S cover.

SS_Sean

Pro Bracket
She's a monster! Look, I'm no tuning guru, and granted, I installed a new turbo along with a new motor, and new 4" intake. There were a lot of changes and I have a lot of tuning left to do. I will, I'm sure, have to update again to give a fair representation of the turbo. Beer with me. :D

We got the new motor fired up and cam break in done on friday. The cheap duplicolor header paint instantly burned off and smoked us out! :D We had a fuel pressure regulator leak at the o-ring (fixed). We had an timing over oil leak (fixed) and we had a shifter cable that broke (fixed). All else went like a charm.

We took the car out and were purposefully babying it. Not only because I'm still running 255/60/15 Remingtons that are harder than a whores heart, but also because I need to break the new combo in. However, we did get into the boost a little the first few miles, 10#, and spool is awesome as long as you get the rpms up. Down-shift and stand on it and away you go!

The next day we pulled the oil filter, pulled a plug and she was running just a smidge rich, double checked everything and got the exhaust set up just right. We are now running a 3.5" DP all the way down to the dual 2.5" exhausts. There isn't much restriction here!! We custom modified the hooker cat-back side of the flange so that it was 3.5" to dual 2.5" so there was ZERO restriction. The tone is really nice and this thing sounds meaner than most small blocks. ;)

We put the black biznatch back on the road and did some testing. At 30 mph dropping from third to second gear and standing on it the rpms would jump to 3800, boost would jump to 18-20, and on the shift would drop to 3400 rpms. At this point the car was moving so damn fast we let out of it and hope johnny law was far away. This turbo/combo spools very fast and the converter certainly helps. The converter is a 3000 stall WCC. I will have to complete break-in, do some more playing and report back. The best we saw for boost was 20psi, and that was at 4000 rpms. Supposedly with this cam you have 5800-6000 rpm redline, so as you can see, in street trim this thing is an animal. I didn't have enough straight stretch and low traffic to really give her the test.

As for me, I'm impressed so far. I will report back any results, and experiences. I will grab some video as soon as I sort out my electric fan failure. I also hope to have track results in a couple weeks.

Cool, keep us posted. I am very intersted in this turbo...

Sean,

Thanks for the report bro.
I am looking forward to additional updates.

Shane,

I have this unit with the 65/ P Trim Turbine Wheel.
I am hoping to have some data back in a couple weeks.

Sorry, guys. Can't run it the way it's supposed to be run quite yet. Motor break-in has to be completed. :redface:

I did 20 minutes initial cam break-in on the jack stands. Varied RPM's between 1500-2500, parked, no load on motor. We got all leaks fixed during this time. I changed the oil filter, but left the oil in the engine. This was counter to what I've always done, but the guy who built my short block insisted I do it this way. He wanted all the engine lube/graphite to stay in the motor for complete break-in. I'm going to have him cut the filter today and see what we see..

Once that was done we went out on the road and varied RPM's between 1500-3000 for approx 20 miles. Five pounds of boost max.

Now we're laying the boost to it a little, and limiting it to 4000 RPM's max for 200 miles, and then will change oil and filter.

And she will be done. That's my standard SBC/BBC break in, except adding boost in increments to see what's going on. Pulling plugs, checking tune, etc.

Got any secret methods you wanna share? :)

Okay, been standing on this combo like I stole it. The spool is incredible. The converter I'm running is a west coast converter 3000 stall, l/u. I think I'm a bit tight on the converter, and would like to see another 200-400 stall. I'm going to wait a while and see how it shakes out but I may send the converter back and ask to have it bumped to 3400. The extra stall will really help in getting the rpms' into the power band. If I down shift and get the rpm's up this thing spools to 25# boost instantly. I have some remington tires that are harder than a whores heart, and it just blows them off from a dig. It feels like having your finger on the button. If you push the red button bad things happen. I have to be rolling and it still blows them off if I don't pedal it a little. I really need to get some drag radials so I can actually drive the car. I'll tell you right now this turbo is absolutely impressive for a street ride. I drive around looking for trouble like I'm loaded for bear! You want some?! :biggrin:

Wow, I am glad I have a 3200 Twisted 6 / PTC to base line.

I am surprized that the turbo spools that fast with a 3,000 stall.I have a 6157 turbo thats a complete turd untill about 3,400 rpm.And i have a 3,00 stall.So needless to say i need more stall.

You need to re-read my post above...

Okay, been standing on this combo like I stole it. The spool is incredible. The converter I'm running is a west coast converter 3000 stall, l/u. I think I'm a bit tight on the converter, and would like to see another 200-400 stall.

Sent you a PM yesterday. Wanted to know how that badboy is running...

Get out of the woods and stop busting poachers and give us info.:D ;)

Appologize for the delay, brutha. Just got back from Dallas, TX.

At this point I'm still having problems with heat soak in the starter. When the car is running it's running great. I'm VERY happy with this turbo for a street car. This turbo is nothing to mess around with. I just got some M/T ETS DR's. I need to have my driveshaft rebuilt/beefed up, and I will then get some track times. Stand by.

You need to re-read my post above...

Okay, been standing on this combo like I stole it. The spool is incredible. The converter I'm running is a west coast converter 3000 stall, l/u. I think I'm a bit tight on the converter, and would like to see another 200-400 stall.

This does not tell me if you have had it to the track yet and the improvements observed. What A/R is this monster?

This does not tell me if you have had it to the track yet and the improvements observed. What A/R is this monster?

Appologize for the delay, brutha. Just got back from Dallas, TX.
.... I need to have my driveshaft rebuilt/beefed up, and I will then get some track times. Stand by.

I don't think I can help you any further. If you have any questions you might want to contact Cal Hartline FAST-XFI-DFI Tuning !