In the market for a digital camera....need advice

Pats-GN

Thinking about buying a new digital camera, I'm looking at a Kodak Z710, 7.1mp, 10X Optical zoom but it doesnt have image stabilization which i'm not sure what that does anyway. Looks like I can get it for around $220. Also saw a canon and a sony with more features for around $300 but there 5mp. Not sure what to do, I know I dont want to spend over $300, any suggestions?

thanks

I would suggest a Canon or Olympus over a Kodak anyday.
I doubt you'll be able to tell the difference between 3mp and anything higher unless you are using a rediculous resolution for viewing.

Find the features that you want and what you plan on using it for and make a list of what will work best for you.

Digital Camera Reviews and News: Digital Photography Review: Forums, Glossary, FAQ
this is THE site for digital camera reviews and comparisons.

Sony Cybershot here.......love it.........bought my parents one last christmas and they like theirs, and they are electronically challenged. They are 6m and you can shoot video with them....all under 300$............can't beat that with a stick !

Not that I am in the habit of beating things with sticks but there are dozens of cameras at Best Buy under 300 bucks that are 6mp and shoot vids too :)

The ability to shoot vids with a still camera is pretty standard these days. I would be surprised to find one that doesn't and is 6mp.

I tend to lean towards nikon, but there are many great cameras out there. Look for the options you want. For my personal camera I bought a coolpix 4200 a couple of years ago. It was the only one at that time that would shoot video at 640x480 until you filled up the card. There were a couple other features that the competition didn't have. The other reason I bought it was it was small. I wanted something I could stick in my pocket and actually take everywhere without it getting in the way. I also have a coolpix 5000 that I use at work. Its a lot bigger, but does a lot more professional stuff. Also at work I just bought a Nikon D200 10MP SLR. Its a full on pro camera that does everything. I'm still trying to figure it out. I'm a graphic artist that does quite a bit of photography, both for architecture and events. Its still hard to beat my little 4200 for convenience, but for the price I paid 2-3 years ago ($400) there are much better options out there. I haven't looked at the current point-and-shoot nikon line in a while.

Thanks for all the help, i'm going to Best Buy tonight and see what I can find. The Kodak I had in mind didnt rate very well when I googled it:biggrin: . I'll let you guys know what I find.

pat

Thanks for all the help, i'm going to Best Buy tonight and see what I can find. The Kodak I had in mind didnt rate very well when I googled it:biggrin: . I'll let you guys know what I find.

pat

One thing I can add is that I bought a Kodak 6.1, after years of owning Minolta, Sony, Pentax, Canon. This one is hand down the best digital camera I have had. Besides taking great pictures that are VERY clear considering the size of the unit - the BIG BIG selling point to me is that it is the ONLY digital camera I have ever owned that takes the picture like a film camera - you know, point, press the button, and it takes the picture. No delay, no focus in and out, no light adjustments. So - when I am trying to catch an action shot, i dont have to try to plan the location and press the button a second before my kids shoots the ball....

That to me is huge!

I did some research and ended up getting a Kodak 6.1mp with 12x zoom and image stabilization. Takes great pics and is easy to use. Thanks for all the help guys.:)

I have a Kodak 5.0 and just bought my mom the one you bought. I love my 5.0. Takes great pictures and is fast enough to take pictures of cars going down the track. The software is really easy to use to burn pics ect.

Jason