Back in the USA. Looking for a trailer.

Pablo

Hey Guys,
It's literally been years since I've posted here. The wife got orders to Italy (Navy) so I put the car in storage. We spent 3 years there and now I'm back to the land of convenience and insanely low speed limits. We're in Virginia at the moment and will be driving cross country through Colorado to pick up my car and then on to So. Cal.

I need a trailer though. I'm in between an enclosed or open setup. Would prefer an enclosed but it all depends on price. I'd like to spend around/under 4 grand.
We'll be headed down I-64 and I-70. Anyone know a good place to buy a trailer along the way? Or does anyone know of any nice used trailers for sale along this route?
Obviously, the closer to Colorado, the better, so I'm not hauling an empty trailer wasting gas.

Also, do you guys have any recommendations as far as trailers go? What features should I be looking for, etc. I will definitely need a winch at a minimum (engine is out of the car). Also, any recommendations on what the minimum size would be to haul a turbo buick?

To give you an idea, the only trailer experience I have is with a Budget rental and that thing sucked.

Thanks in advance for any tips,
Pablo

Dove tail of some kind is nice, especially if your car is lowered. Good tires(you will need a spare and a jack with enough capacity to lift the loaded trailer) , working lights and brakes, and the associated wiring should not be over looked on a used one. Both mine have wood floor, but an open trailer with metal or an open aluminum trailer I am told is nice. Aluminum is lighter and doesnt have the rust factor.
I carry two spares but that is just due to an incident we had where to front axle blow out took out the rear axle tire. Make sure your four way fits the trailer lugs. I also carry spare wheel bearings, seals and retainer hard ware. No fun on the side of the road with no way to fix probs.
I'm guessing you have a vehicle suitable for towing.
Let us know what you find.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

If you end up being able to only find an open trailer to haul your car in, i'd try to avoid stopping for too long along the way and wouldn't let it out of your sight.

Good Luck on your search for a trailer.
Welcome back to the states also.

Last edited:
Cover an towing on an open trailer is a recipe for paint disaster. Don't do that.

If open is ok, get a car hauler from uhaul. I and many others have hauled many a gn home on one.

Welcome back!

I purchased a 16' open, tandem axle, wood floor unit from Gator Made. They're made here in KY. Cost around $1600 and was perfect for hauling the TR's we purchased.
I think the new prices are slightly higher but the used ones seem to be in the $1500 price range.
I would have liked the closed unit for peace of mind but the price was a little steep.
Check craigslist.

Depends what you're going to use the trailer for in the long run. I think you can find a decent enclosed trailer in your price range and they really come in handy.

Hey guys, thanks for the replies.
We got a killer deal on a new truck that will be the tow vehicle. It is a new 2014 Silverado 1500 4x4 crew cab with the trailering package. According to the specs, the max towing capacity is 9600 lbs. That should give me some breathing room as far as weight shouldn't it?

The trailer will see frequent use mostly to haul my autoX/track rat Camaro to events and to go to the drags with the buick. The enclosed would be nice for the buick because it looks nice, the camaro on the other hand looks like crap. I also like the added storage capability of the enclosed. The only thing is the price, looks like I can find a nice open pretty easily under 4k but enclosed is pushing it.

Do these trailers typically come with electric brakes or surge? Is electric much more expensive? Our truck has an integrated brake controller so electric would be nice.
Also, do I need some kind of sway control or weight distributing hitch?

Anyway I've been looking online and I think I'll hold off on picking one up until I get closer to Colorado. We are in WV right now so there is a ways to go.
Thanks again for the tips!
Pablo

I run a weight distribution setup with cam sway control. I wouldn't tow an enclosed with out and if I was towing with a half ton I'd probably want it for the open trailer.
We have electric brakes and they are adjustable with the controller we use. You will need a big fuse to make that integrated controller work if it is like my fathers.