Good digital video camera?

turbosam6

My cars suck
I'm in the market for a good digital video camera, nothing super spectacular, more like I'm looking for a good deal on one. I've been to the local Best Buy, Circuit City, etc. Looks like around $300 buys a decent entry level unit. But I know those places don't have the best deals. I just need this for taping races and home movies of the little one growing up. I also will need a DVD burner for the pc because all I have is a regular burner. The pc will handle it no problem, any recommendations there too? Remember, I'm no techno-wizard, need simple stuff here.:D

I just bought a JVC GR-D200 from B&H Photo. I wanted something decent yet simple and this seems to fit the bill. It is on special and I couldn't find a better price for this model anywhere else.

I don't know anything about these things. My neighbor, who's a pretty thorough kind of guy, did the research and bought a higher end JVC. This one had most of the features as his, but for $200 less.

Here's the link...

JVC GR-D200

Also, I have found that any given manufacturer will not give you the best of both worlds.

If your purchase a really good video camera that has photo capabilities, the photo's will lack in quality.

If you purchase a really good digital camera that has movies (mpg) capabilities, the mpg will lack in quality.

I have a $1k Sony digital camera 8 megapixels. The movies are horrible but will get you through if you don't have your video camera nearby.

I have a $1k Sony MiniDV camcorder. The pictures are horrible but will get you through if you don't have your digital camera nearby.

Ask youself if you have enough money to buy both? I you don't and you have to purchase one unit that does both, ask yourself which will you be doing most often.

I have a Sony HC30 and I like it. It is very small and the picture quality is real nice when i burn it to DVD. I havent used it at night but I think Sony has the better Lux in them than the others. I took about a month before I bought mine, i shopped, looked on the net and there is this websight for more info on all cameras.
http://www.camcorderinfo.com/
This sight has very good info and a message board.