Is this a reasonable price for an 85 GN?

FlaBoy

Just a good ole boy...
Hey guys,

I've been dying to own a GN for years now, but could never justify buying one when i had a perfectly good working vehicle. A few months back, my truck was totalled, and between the insurance settlement, and money ive been saving since then, I have enough money to hopefully get one. I recently found an 85 for sale in my area that is selling for 4300 (getting close to the max i could possibly afford to spend on a car right now). Due to scheduling conflicts between the seller and I, I havent had a chance to actually see the car in person, but assuming what he has told me in our many phone conversations is correct, I was wondering if his asking price is reasonable. NADA and Kelley blue book both list around 6000 for fair/good condition, but i know sometimes those estimates dont accurately reflect the real market value for cars. According to the seller, it has 120k on the clock, freshly rebuilt turbo, 90% stock under the hood. He just re-carpeted it, and recovered the seats, and put in a new headliner. He says the paint is the original job, so far as he knows, and that its decent from 15 feet or so with a ncie wax job, but it could use a repaint (typical for these cars i've heard). He says theres some minor rust in a few places, again typical for a 20yr old car, but nothing structural, and nothing that comes close to going throught he metal yet. He says the electrical all seems to work, and that the car starts and drives fine. Of course I'm gonna give it a thorough examination before buying, using that oh-so-handy buyers guide on GNTTYPE.ORG, but assuming what he says is true, does this seem a fair price? Granted, i would probably prefer to get an IC car if i had a choice, but where I'm at financially now, thats not really a possibility I dont think, and getting a hot-air would allow me to have a cheaper buy-in, and as i get the chance spend the money i can to mke ti fast. So any opinions on the pricing would be much appreciated, and any suggestions from hot-air owners on anything to pay attention to on the inspection/test-drive before i buy (that may ahve been overlooked in the GNTTYPE buyers guide) would be very much appreciated as well. Thanks in advance, and hopefully by this time next week I'll be cruisin around in my T-Top GN :)

lol, I just realized i need to change my signature... its been a year, to the day, since my baby, my 67 GS, was totalled... In both instances, with my truck, and my GS, i was 100% not at fault. hell, this last time the truck was parked on my driveway! MAN i miss that car, especially the 455 under the hood :) I can;t wait to be back in a buick, going fast with class :D

I bought a 85wh1 last summer for 2800. It had 197k miles with rebuilt turbo and trans at 170k. Needs paint but is 99% rust free and the interior is pretty good. The only seat damage is the driver about the size of a quarter. Well taken care of and all records and 100% stock down to the alum drums. prices vary by state and time of year, do a search in autotrader and see what people are asking for them. Good luck.

for 4300, you can get a hard-top 1987 GN in connettecuit....I have seen 4 for sale in CT in a local trader paper I get in Jersey. I think the $$$ is a little high. If there were no rust at all, i would say yeah, 4300 is good, but if there is bubbling, or rot that is visible on the doors, trunk, or rear wheel well, then I would offer the 3400 ball-park area. I bought my car 5 years ago for 2000, and the body was near mint...no rust at all, hard top car, with a crappy macco painbt job, but a good solid body with no bondo. Yes, the car needs a trans and motor, but the interior was immaculate, the pannels are all straight, the car was all original except for the motor, and paint. I talked the kid down off of ebay...his dad was my baseball coach in little league, and I got into a few conversations about the car and it's worth.

i told them that I wanted a Gn so bad that I would pay anything for a GN, but their car was a T-Type painted to look like a GN. I had no idea what a T-Type was back then, but I was told it had the GN motor and "hood", so i gave them the offer of 2000, and bought it that day.

Long story short, 5 years later, and I can still sell the car for 2000 with the rust free body and no motor or trans. But if the rust hits that car, I probably would be better off keeping the car.

I think the 4300 is a little high, but look at it first...like you said, use the Gnttype guide, and make sure you get under that car...if you can drive it, let it idle after running it, then park it in the street and look for leaks after it cools down. make sure you bring a flashlight to look in the dark places like the rear fenders in the trunk, or the floor pans underneath!

Good luck...If it looks good, but has rust....I'd go with an offer of 3k to 3400...but not much higher, unless they can prove it is worht more...with 120 on the clock and only a rebuilt turbo, you could have a lot coming your way, and you might need an extra 2k in the pocket just incase!

Good luck!

John

I've been scanning the autotrader, and car classifieds and traderonline and all that for months now, not to mention the for sale sections here on the various websites. The cehapest I/C cars i have been able to find in florida are at leat 7k, which is rpetty much outta my price range, and while I would love to wait until an 86/87 came along in my rpice range, i relaly dont have that luxury... I need to get a car in the next few weeks here, so it's either get a GN in that time frame, or get something else. From what I've been seeing, around here in florida at least, that seems to be around the right price for an 85 in decent shape, the only ones ive been seeing for 2-3k have been in rough shape, or needed a lot of work, but I have also only been keeping tabs on this for a month or so now, if any members from Florida could give their opinion? Thanks for all the help so far, and Racemybuick, if after a good inspection of the car I still like what I see, I will probably set down 3800 cash in his hand and see if he'll take that... even if he had told himself he wouldnt go lower than 4300, or 4000, its kinda hard to turn down a stack of 50's 2 inches tall when its sittin right there in your hand, ya know? :) Like I said, thanks for all the help so far, and keep it coming, hopefully soon I'll start bugging all you hot-air guru's out there for advice on actually workin on my car :)

that's a good attitude!!! lol. i wish you were able to come up by me. In the special interest vehicles news paper, four 1987 GN's were 4000, and one 86 t-type with the champion heads and so on, was 6000 but rust in the doors. I looked at one GN in connettecuit, near where my brother lives (I love in NJ), and it looked as good as a car that has been outside for the last 10 years, but the rust was only in the doors....The motor was 100% stock. Idled nice, all guages worked like new, and the car had no smoke on start-up....cold start...long story short, I dont have 4000, but I was looking at it with another fella who did...He ended up saying no because of the paint and body work. He was looking for a mint car (which you WILL NOT find for 4000 in our line of work! lol) Anyway, the car is still for sale!

As per that hot air...Much luck to you. I think you should show 3500 and see what happens, then if he doesnt budge, show the extra 300 in your wallet and kinda go slow about it...like...ummmm...awww gee...i cant take my kids to disney this weekend like....lol...I think he'll take 3500 and run! lol...Good luck man. it is a sweet habit to develope, these turbo cars!

John
John

yeah i was lookin at that, but it seems like someone else may have put down a deposit today, AND its got a rebuilt/salvage/theft recovery title or something, which im kinda hesitant to mess with, and 5500 is really kinda out of my price range for the time being... in a month i could probably swing that, but not right now :( I'm still keepin my eyes open, to see what turns up... and thanks for all the advice so far.

If you get the hot air, make sure you put at lease 1500 away immediately for the mods you will need to get the car updated...the regulars usually include the guages, the exhaust, fuel upgrades and so on. Be ready to have fun!

John