Improve Daily Drivability

Turb0v

Hello my seasoned turbo Buick gurus, can I have some general advice on small upgrades to improve daily drivability on my virgin 87 National?

Yes. Buy a Camry or Accord as a DD. Using a virgin GN would be a waste and a mistake.

nope.

If you're GN is truly a 'virgin', I have long list of preventative maintenance that needs to be done.

...and none of them are 'cool guy' parts that ''make your car fast''.

....you'll just end up with a reliable 12sec car with A/C and good gas mileage.

nope.

If you're GN is truly a 'virgin', I have long list of preventative maintenance that needs to be done.

True dat.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

nope.

But, you’ll look cool as hell doing it though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Damn! What a bunch of lame replies!

Guy comes here looking for help with his GN and gets one honest comment and a bunch of BS.

What is this Desert Rangers?

Alky., good chip Turbotweak or Extender chip from TurboBob, MAF translator, fuel pump, hot wire, good stereo, arm rest/cup holder, upgraded drivers seat, sunglasses holder, legal tint, change the oil every 3-4K miles with a good filter, biggie oil filter upgrade from RJC racing, good tires including snows for winter, transmission rebuild street/strip from a good known vendor builder from this site, front and rear frame brace kits including the cross brace Kirban has nice kits, Bilstein shocks, body mount bushing kit, upgraded headlights etc. etc.

Then drive it until something breaks. :p

No reason you can't drive one daily been doing it for 32 years now. o_O

Reliable 11 second cars for their age. :unsure:

The stock chip had some issues and even a stock car will run smoother with a chip from Eric at Turbo Tweak. The stock fuel pump was borderline maxed out on a stock car so I would upgrade the pump and the wiring to the pump was also not adequate so it should also be upgraded. A turbocharged car is very different than a N/A car and severe engine damage can occur if they are leaned out under boost. At 30 years old many of these cars have other issues even if garage kept with low miles. The vacuum lines are often cracking or broken. The fan delay relay (the big one) has been known to kick the fans on in the middle of the night and kill your battery. It is a unsealed relay and should be removed. The stock MAF is no longer available and if you can find a working stock one they are too expensive for what they are, your best option is a MAF translator and LT1 3” MAF or 3.5” LS1 sensor if you plan to retain the factory ECM. The transmission life will be extended by installing a shift kit but many people don’t like the hard 1-2 tire chirping shifts that comes with it sometimes. The stock timing gear was made of nylon and after 30 years some are missing teeth or nylon shavings have ended up in the oil pan. There is nothing wrong with the stock setup but most choose a new double roller timing chain set(don’t install the stock tensioner if you go this route) The stock oil pickup tube had a trap door that could open and allow bigger things than I like to get thru the mesh filter. Aftermarket ones are available without the trap door. 30 year old valve springs should be replaced they are cheap and even with no miles they are shot. Maintenance is very important. Use oil that is high in zinc not synthetic oil unless you have changed to a roller cam setup.
Look through the link in the first post for other maintenance that needs to be done.
A good scan tool will help you verify everything is working properly.
If you are having a specific issue search on this site as I’m sure many have had the same issue before or post your specific issue.
HTH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk