Im Going to paint!!!!

DiverDavies

Diver Davies
I droped the car yesterday. I need to find weather striping for a NON t top car. Trunk, Doors & roof , and headlight bezels. Where to go?? Good stuff from good people isnt easy to find.. Price?? Any ideas? also. I am shaving the impact strips off the bumper and filling it in to paint as slick as the body, and the impact guards on the side of the car are also going away . Ideas on that ?? I have anti rattle kits for the doors, nos dew strips (b72) , nos bumper filler for front,abs fillers for rear . Its going to be nice... It will be done in time for my first trip to the Buick Nationals 09.... Im excited....

Attachments

• SNC00017.jpg
    SNC00017.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 1,352
GM weatherstip costs more but its the best hands down! Thats what I would use. I have Soft seal on the doors & it works but nothing like OEM seals. I have them on trunk & sunroof & there is No Comparison!!

go with the OEM GM. Kirban (www.kirbanperformance.com) has them all if I am not mistaken. Hold on to your wallet becasue they ain't cheap but, they will fit and they will look great.

I've tried GM and softseal. The softseal is good for the price but they do not have the plastic inserts in the ends where they are screwed into the metal panel thus, they are prone to ripping since it's just rubber.

I personally prefer the GM stuff but it is VERY expensive.

BTW, just curious...you stated the car is to be done for BG09? You do know that's in May. A couple months to get it done from start to finish? Might want to make sure your painter is aware of this deadline. I just got one out of the shop that took 6 months, the one before that was 4-5 months. Full paints are not priorities especially at collision shops where insurance work makes more money and is easier.

Not trying to rain on your parade. It's just that I've been through this before and it usually the same story... Might just want to confirm with your painter about timelines...

Either way good luck.

Here are a few more Befor Pics... Ill Post some allong the way as well

Attachments

• SNC00012.jpg
    SNC00012.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 1,353
  • SNC00013.jpg
    SNC00013.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 1,353
  • SNC00014.jpg
    SNC00014.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 1,347
  • SNC00015.jpg
    SNC00015.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 1,342
  • SNC00016.jpg
    SNC00016.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 1,337
Here are some more pics of my baby.. what do you guys think?

Attachments

• SNC00020.jpg
    SNC00020.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 1,338
  • SNC00018.jpg
    SNC00018.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 1,340
  • SNC00021.jpg
    SNC00021.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 1,317
  • SNC00022.jpg
    SNC00022.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 1,309
  • SNC00023.jpg
    SNC00023.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 1,309
Im a lil worried about that. The guy has custom paint in this area wraped up.. He knows my dead line.. I asked him how long he needed in order to bring it to he w/ 2 weeks to spair.. I hope it woorks out... He is good.. Ive seen a few cars he has done & he is excited about doing it...He loves these cars. Thats good. The int of the car is perfect. no rust except under the doors ( see pic) .. He said no problem .. ???? ...

Just a suggestion for you. I would try and strip stuff off the car that you can ut back on later yourself. You will save teh painter time and save yourself money. I usually gut the interior, pull all the weatherstrip, locks, handles, wheel well trim, emblems, bumpers (or at least have them loosened up)-Remove the broken filler panels, pull the taillights and front light bezels and lights. Mostly simple stuff but it's time consuming.

You don't want to pay a painter to disassembe and reassemble your car. You want the painter to do bodywork, prep and paint the car and give it back to you. Trust me, my painters usually appreciate the work i do because it saves them a ton of time.:biggrin:

Sending you a PM...

Are you stripping it? I just went through this and turbo39351 is correct. You save $$$ and have fun doing some of it yourself. I am very pleased with my car. It took 7 weeks start to finish.

GM on the windows,aftermarket(metro brand) for the doors and trunk.

Take lots of pics.:D

Where in smurfreesboro. I used to live there and am glad to be back in TX.

Hes in Mcminnville Tn Mt Leo custom paint and body.. He does all the paint for vintage vetts here in the Boro.. I work at Murfreesboro Pawn and Gun on SE Broad st TN is OK ive lived in ar, ca, co, nv,wa,ky,la,and I like TN better than all of those.. That being said Im wating till I can move to the beach in Port St Joe FL:wink:

Im leaving that up to the guy at the body shop.. As far as he needs to go to be right. The paint is all orignal, never wrecked. No rust.. so I dont know if it needs to be striped all the way. This thing is a garage queen since 87... He said he would let me know..

Doesn't matter what shape it's in needs to be stripped. Lacquer sucks,I found out the hard way on another GN. Unless you want to repaint again at another time.

Hes in Mcminnville Tn I work at Murfreesboro Pawn and Gun on SE Broad st TN is OK ive lived in ar, ca, co, nv,wa,ky,la,and I like TN better than all of those.. That being said Im wating till I can move to the beach in Port St Joe FL:wink:

Cool. Do you remember Stones River Machine Works? We did custom machine work and gunsmithing before my partner screwed me. Lost everything when he decided to buy to much on margine. I left in 05 because I didn't have a reason to stay anymore.

I wish you would have stayed. We could have ran his arse out of town. I have 5 TR buddys here in the Boro.. Drive your Buick back for a vist..

Have you ever been down to Nutt cave trout farm? It's near tulahoma. If you have kids it's a great place to take them for fun. We used to get a group of them together and take them for the "first fishing trip". It was a blast to watch them get around the pond until one of them caught a fish..then it was a clump in one place full of kids and polls. LOL