Ignition Module?

dnoel

I have an 87 GN and there is a snot looking ooze seeping out from around the ignition module. Has anyone had this before? What can cause this and what is the fix. What are good replacements parts if I need to replace anything? Any advice is appreciated! Thank You

that stuff is coming out from the inside open it up check if its for the coil pack or module.

GLENN from nos4gn has some nice parts.

Does it look like this? Seems common. I replaced mine with a new ac delco ignition module. It has a tan colored epoxy or whatever that filling is.

Does it look like this? Seems common. I replaced mine with a new ac delco ignition module. It has a tan colored epoxy or whatever that filling is.

Picture below:

Attachments

• GN coil.jpg
    GN coil.jpg
    757.1 KB · Views: 188
It's potting material to protect the electricals from vibration and the elements. When the circuit starts failing and overheating it will get hot enough to melt the stuff and turn it into snot.

It's not a bad idea to replace both units at the same time just in case the coil pack is the reason the module got taken out. Try your best to stay away from the parts store modules as they don't have the track record the GM units do.

Do you think ordering AC Delco replacements from Rock Auto would be ok? If not Ill go with one of the forum vendors. Thanks!

PC way would be order from vendor. But I know sometimes the prices can be a considerable desparity between the vendors and the "Other choices". In my opinion tune up stuff honestly.....get it from the place thats cheapest.
Your gonna cring at the price for GM but as mentioned its best to go with GM stuff as far as ign modules go IMO.

Turbo nasty is right about GM stuff , Highways Stars has GM coil and module and plus they are our supporting vendor for the board , I just ordered a set Monday from them and very nice people to deal with also .

Another option is type 2 ignition. The parts are cheaper, easier to come by. The coils can be individually changed and the modules are designed with later technology. A much better set up IMO.

RL

Caution with type II use in other than stock build to rev over 5200 as many have a rev cut built in. Found this out at the nats. In a stocker it should be fine. IMO the biggest gain with type II is the ability to change a single coil vs the whole unit.

Thank you for all the replies, I'll replace the coil pack, ignition module and gasket.

Caution with type II use in other than stock build to rev over 5200 as many have a rev cut built in. Found this out at the nats. In a stocker it should be fine. IMO the biggest gain with type II is the ability to change a single coil vs the whole unit.

I thought Bob said at one time the dwell wasn't as good on a Type2 setup.

Never heard heard of that but, I can imagine it's possible with the dwell being different and there is some out there that definitely have a rev limiter limits or something that comes in built in that shows up around 5.2 k rpm .

Never heard of that, but then again, I haven't really put any miles on mine yet.

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Tapatalk 2

The Type II tests for spark on the coil simulator up to 8000 RPM, but the spark output is less than the stock Delco coil system. I personally wouldn't use a Type II system on my car. They are probably OK for bone stock cars, but definitely not intended for performance as evidenced by the reduced spark energy.

For what it's worth, if you need to have a replacement on hand, don't use anything but an original DELCO unit. Aftermarket ignition modules exhibit problems in high output, tach signal, cam and crank voltage levels, and so on. The Caspers LED cam cap will likely not function properly on aftermarket replacement ignition modules.

That said, GOOD LUCK finding an OEM module anymore. If you're determined, you will find it.