I Want Gnx 293....dammit!

BUICKGNX

GUYS,

I am thinking about purchasing GNX 293. What do you think about the price? The exhaust is all rotted with holes everywhere. I am thinking about selling my mint 87 gn for this car. I've emailed the seller but have had no response. The car is beautiful. What do you guys think? The coolant reservoir is incorrect.....the car does look ok. Does anyone have proof of mileage? How can i get it? Carfax did not state it.

Thanks for the carfax...

Michael

I would sell mine for it too, but I wouldn't put all the go fast parts from mine onto the GNX, and I doubt I'd have as much fun with the x as I do with my GN. That aside, it's very seems hard to find an X you can drive at least a few hundred miles a year and not feel all that bad about it. The price right now seems decent.

I contacted seller through e-bay. Car does NOT come with the jacket, original window sticker and manual. Basicly any papers or anything else that came with the car when bought new. He claims the doctor that sold it to him does not have time to look for all the stuff that came with the car.

I also sent an e-mail to the guy (or gal) that runs the GNX registry with the vin number and I have not heard anything back. Not sure if the site is active or the e-mail addy is still alive. That is all I know.

I am interested as well and have the funds but I want to make sure it is the real deal and what type of discount to expect for NOT having the jacket etc etc when trying to re-sell the car later. (asked onece before on original thread)

I contacted the seller as well. In regards to the jacket, documentation, window sticker, hat and book......he stated that the doctor does not recall where these items have been placed. How can you misplace all of these items. He stated in an email that he cannot promise that these items will go with the car. Is the mileage actually 20,000. If you look at the speedometer you can see that the numbers dont line up. Maybe i am dreaming. I would like to buy the car. The car does not seem bad at all. Little things can be fixed. It could be the way the car was stored. My gn is always stored indoors and i park it on top of a thick vapour barrier to prevent any moisture penetrating to the undercarriage and body. The coolant reservoir looks like its from a cultlass. How the heck did that get i there? I am a little worried about the motor if it runs great. Hard to buy a car without looking at it in person. I am considering selling my 87 mint gn that i have owned for 14 years. It was my high school car. I even went to my prom with it along with using her in my wedding video. It will be hard if i sell her but i've always wanted to own a GNX and cannot afford to keep both. It will be a pain to explain to my wife my intentions. I do have to come up with the extra $$ to put on the GNX with the difference that i would like to get for my 87 gn. DAMMIT! What do you guys think? I love gn's but would like to own a GNX. I was in bowling green 3 years ago. Had the honours of sitting in GNX 375. BEAUTIFUL GNX!! The owner was such a super guy. He made me take photos of it and asked if i wanted to sit in it. I know that its like a GN but the difference is that its a factory tweaked up gn (asc). Maybe my time is not now to own one but the way i look at it.....the longer the wait, the worst it gets and it gets more expensive. My gn does have sentimental values. My gn was even produced and shipped on my birthday (JAN 29, 87).....Which means only the month and day......

I hope that whom ever decides to purchase GNX 293....I hope that it goes to a good home. Can the jacket, book and accessories be reproduced?

Thank you guys!

Michael:(

You've Answered Your Own Question...

Sounds like you're very conflicted on this, and it shows how strongly you feel about your current GN. You clearly love your car, plus lots of sentimental value to you and probably the wife. I've been in the same situation.

Given all that, my advice (since you're asking :biggrin:) would be to pass on this particular X-- especially without the all-important jacket, book, and window sticker. Value wise, deduct EASILY 7-10% from average asking price without this critical material.

And you're right-- who loses that stuff anyway? Come on, folks-- how careful a life has it had if the owner didn't know where to look for the documentation or replaces the master cylinder and coolant bottle with incorrect parts? That makes him either a sloppy idiot or a liar. Of course, maybe the current guy listing the car scarfed the goodies up and is playing dumb. Also bad news. Plus, who's to say the turbo hasn't been switched out too! Either way, you have a car with excuses-- not to mention this car plain looks tired.

This is NOT the car for you to give up all that for. There will be others that come along, some expensive, some not so expensive. But you'll know when you've found something worthy of taking the place of your prized GN-- and it won't even be a debate in your mind.

So if you're not jumping, there's a reason why. That's your instinct.

Good luck in your search!
Doug

Thank you for the advice

Here are a few photos of my gn

Michael

Attachments

• IM000538A.jpg
    IM000538A.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 330
  • IM000504A.jpg
    IM000504A.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 320
  • IM000023a.JPG
    IM000023a.JPG
    85 KB · Views: 328
Dont sell the GN. You car is too mint compared to that GNX. Wait for a better one.

I do love GNXS but remember all GNXs are GNs!

Frank

I do not understand????? How can you choose not to buy a car because it does not have the jacket and the books? I can understand the window sticker being important, but there was a NOS blank one on ebay that just sold. You can always buy the manual set(I have NOS GNX supplements if anyone needs), and the Jacket, it is just a 20 year old members only jacket that can be replicated if you really want. Even if those items can never be bought, who cares........you will own a GNX.

I agree with you as far as you go, but there were other factors that weighed in on the general consensus here:

Strike 1: First, not having the book, window sticker, and jacket is only one part of the equation. They are important from the investment side, and their absence and the difficulty of replacement-- especially the original window sticker-- does devalue the car. But this was certainly not the *sole* reason by any stretch.

Strike 2: Condition is very important as well. And looking at the incorrect parts and obvious wear and tear, sub par paint work, ratty rusty underside, etc.-- there are much nicer examples to be had. Plus the visual indications lead one to believe that the car has not had the greatest of maintenance or TLC.

Strike 3: The situation. Michael has a near mint GN which rightly holds great sentimental value to him and his wife-- they dated, were married, plus he's owned it for a very long time. And look at those pictures-- a super nice car.

So what we have here is the "chance to own a lower grade X" but only by giving up a pristine GN in the process. That's a stretch that each of us would have to decide individually. So for someone else, perhaps this X will be a great deal-- a driver quality car. But as Michael has presented things, a number of us are leaning toward the "hold on to what you've got" side.

Make no mistake, I am multiple X's now (as I see you do), and these cars will always be very special and very much in demand. But as the price approaches 50 large (and I'm sure it will go higher), there should be no stories.

For me personally, I would not trade my mint Rosewood/Chrome/T-Top car for that X-- even for an even-up trade. But that's for each of us to decide individually.

Just my two cents...:wink:

I do not understand????? How can you choose not to buy a car because it does not have the jacket and the books? I can understand the window sticker being important, but there was a NOS blank one on ebay that just sold. You can always buy the manual set(I have NOS GNX supplements if anyone needs), and the Jacket, it is just a 20 year old members only jacket that can be replicated if you really want. Even if those items can never be bought, who cares........you will own a GNX.

Frank and Doug.......

Thank you for the wonderful remarks. My gn is pretty clean. It has always been maintained and cared for since i purchased the car and even by the previous owner. The car was owned by a older family man. Always took care of her. The gn was only 6 years old when i bought it. Ive had it ever since. I bought her with 20,000 miles on it. It now has 35,000 miles on it. I drive it on nice non rainy days. My wife loves the car as well. She said that if you sell it you will regret it. Many memories with this car even though it has been mainly indoors and hardly driven. The car has a #'s matching motor, transmission, etc.....It even still has the original serrpentine belt with the date stamped on it. The original wires and plugs were kept in a bag. I changed them with original ac delco's back then.The car has not given me any problems except for stalling a few times. Figured out that it was the mass airflow sensor. I had a spare original nos replacement and changed it. Runs beautiful again. I still kept the old one in a bag with the other items. I hope one day that i will find a clean gnx. I love buicks. I think that they are classy cars with fine lines and historical sentimental cars. It kills me inside when i see other gn's, turbo t's beat up to the ****s. Such amazing cars with a history of success, power and comfort. I could not ask for a better car......I could not ask for a better wife.......

Thank you guys.......All the best!

Michael

Don't sell that GN! You will regret later. Yes, you can always get an identical one again, but you'll always know that it is not the same car. Does that make sense? You get what i mean. I sold my 87 awhile back to upgrade to something i thought i would be happier with. Guess what...... I was dead wrong. By the way, super, super nice ride. Trade your GN for that X.... not a chance.

FWIW - my Dad is a doctor and he certainly wouldn't be able to find original paperwork to a car like that, let alone get out of the house with his shoes on some days. Doctor's can be real funny that way, great with their patients, but utterly clueless about anything and everything else.
If my wife wouldn't object as strenuously as I know she would (and that is putting it mildly) I'd be bidding on that car too...the missing book, jacket, etc wouldn't matter to me.