I need PC help on a new purchase, any computer people out there that can help me?

streetknight

DCVING
So, I need to buy a new laptop. I don't do any gaming if that's a factor. I do however have a LOT of music, pics, and videos. I know nothing about the "specs" of PC's.

I don't really watch movies on the pc, that's what my tv is for lol.

I've always used Dell, but I found a HP today with the new I-7 processor, 1TB hard drive, the beats audio, 8GB RAM, blue ray, but it's not a HD screen, but I don't think that matters. for $899, does this sound like a good deal or should I keep looking?

Thanks

That sounds pretty good. I paid about the same for a similar model recently for a family member with the I-5 but it had a 23" screen and came with a el cheap'o printer... I set it up and actually liked it... I primalry use custom built stuff so I was impressed, I am sure the I-7 will be faster!

computer parts are so cheap and processors so powerful these days that it's almost impossible to find a computer that won't have more power, memory, and storage capacity than you will need for the foreseeable future.

I just got a hp dm4-2070us Love it. It has 640 GB hard drive 6GB of ram. It has the i-5 processer. Paid 450 for it. It also looks like brushed aluminum. Refurbished-HP-Laptops_36437.jpg

Not a fan of anything HP except their printers..and even those are becoming POS's. Many HP owners were left holding the bag because of bad graphics cards on many notebooks and HP gave them the runaround. Friend of mine finally got his repaired and then 3 months later same problem with the graphics card and HP told him it's no longer under warrenty. Dell is still a good brand and puts out good laptops. Remember...you get what you pay for..

Always look at any mobile device as being extremely disposable and spend accordingly. Technology for mobile systems is accelerating so fast that you really don't care if the thing lasts beyond three or four years, it will be very outdated by then. Anything you get now will do the tasks you want. If you need high performance, get an i5 or i7, that is one of better procs on the market now although the AMD lineup for bulldozer is looking pretty awesome when it hits the market. 4GB+ of ram and at least 250GB hard drive. Always make sure your data is backed up in two other locations!!!! One location is not enough as external drive will always fail, just like internal ones.

Most laptops will come with W7 home premium or pro. I would look into what falls first in hacking competions and what programs are the most secure for what you want. The browser (excluding the user) is the weak point and is not always internet explorer to be the first to lose in hacking competions. If you want something that isn't mainstream for attacks, get a new laptop and install linux on it, it's easy, not scary like it was fifteen years ago. More like point and shoot for the install.

If you do go with a laptop, don't buy all the extra "stuff" they try and upsell. On W7, install avast free for anit virus and the extra warranty can be about a third or more of the original price...that's a call you have to make. I never buy them and know that I can get into another machine sooner.