Any computer experts out there? Need some fast help...

QuickWE4

Fuggedaboudit.
Hey all:

Finally stepped into 2003 and got myself hooked up with a cable modem this weekend. After I got that all set up, I went ahead and bought the Norton Internet Security 2004 suite as I thought a firewall and some updated virus protection would be a good idea.

The installation went fine for the most part but I'm running into a problem.

Since it will take me a while to get all of my email traffic switched over to my new email address, I am retaining AOL on my computer for a time. I set up AOL to connect with my new cable modem connection and that worked fine until I installed the Nortel firewall. After the firewall was activated, I could no longer access aol - it could not find my TCP/IP connection when it tried to connect.

If I disable my firewall, I can connect so I assume it's a certain setting that I have to adjust in my Norton software. But I have to tell you, the Norton firewall settings are a little complex and I'm, admittedly, not a computer expert.

I tried Symantec's online support but it really doesn't give me any help. Can somebody point me in the right direction so I can get AOL working at least on an interim basis?

TIA
Rich

I use Norton personal firewall 2003, and it scans all your programs and asks you which ones should have access when you first set it up, and then if you try to run something that does not have access it will prompt you at that time to grant or deny access. Is this not the case with 2004?

Strike - yeah, it is supposed to do that automatically, but I guess the software doesn't account for AOL.

It's already been uninstalled. I never installed a piece of software that sapped so many computer resources. Plus, because of all the filters and what not, my internet pages were loading up a lot more slowly than they should with a cable modem. The difference before I installed it vs. after I installed it was amazing.

I'm going to search for a piece of software that is less intrusive.

Thanks for the help -
Rich

gee, the only thing that worked flawlessly on this software was the installation procedure.

:rolleyes:

Sorry, just venting.
Rich

If your looking for a good easy to use firewall then I would recommend Black Ice if you want to pay for it or Zone Alarm if you something that is free.

HTH

Sully

QuickWE4

I am running a Norton firewall and antivirus in a cable set-up.
If the AOL program did not load initially you can load it into the Norton program. Open up your Norton and click on Personal Firewall. Select Internet access and scroll down when the programs load and see if AOL version ?.0 is listed. If it is you can select modify at the bottom of the window and go from there. If it is not listed click on the add tab at the bottom and search on your computer for the AOL program and select it. If you still can't get it to recognize it then I don't have an answer for you on that. I am running Zone Alarm also for an additonal amount of protection by layering my firewalls. Good luck and I hope this helped.:D

Drew

AOL offers its own free version of a firewall(McAfree's)--just D/L and go

Geoff

Do yourself a favor and get a hardware based firewall/router. Either that or set up a nice Linux box and do IP MASQing or forwarding from it.

Of course it's always a good idea to keep the virus scanning stuff.

Try Astaro Security Linux, easy to setup and maintain!