I Keep Destroying Ignition Modules

FastGN007

I have went through three ignition module/coils recently and cannot figure out what keeps causing them to fail. Each one lasts about 100 miles. The car will run fine for a few days and then it will have a serious issue with the ignition cutting in and out. Replacing the module and coil fixes this for a few days and then it happens again. Has anyone experienced this issue or have any ideas what may be causing this?

Thanks,
Scott

I would start by looking at the ground wires on the back of the head on the passenger side to see if they are tight.

John :smile:

Could be a cam or crank sensor issue. What kind of cam sensor cover? Stock?
How about crank and crank sensor? Are they stock?

Try unplugging the cam sensor while the car is running. You will get a check engine light. Don't worrie about that. Take it for a ride and see if the miss is still there.

What is your battery voltage ? If it is excessively high it will cause problems.

Also bad/poor grounds will cause problems.

Check your connector that plugs into the side of the module. I had some corrosion issues on my first TR that was causing a ground/short problem that eventually killed my module.

I worked on a GN today that had at least 100 installation no nos on it. One thing i noticed was that the coil pack and module was missing the gasket:eek: . All the grounds were loose or in the wrong places:eek: . The 12V alt wire was run in front of the intercooler:eek: . Every 12v wire at the starter with a fuse link had no insulation covering at least 3" over the wires before the fuse link and no wire loom over it either:eek: . The steel fuel feed line was replaced with a piece of fuel hose that wasnt insulated and was rubbing all over the body and frame:eek: .I dont know how this particular car did not catch on fire.

I will check the ground wire on the cylinder head tomorrow. I have the ground stretcher kit installed with the lug mounted on the firewall.

The car has the original front cover and the original cam sensor. I have a new GM cam sensor at the house as a spare. Would a bad cam sensor cause the ignition module to keep failing? The crank sensor and bracket were replaced a year ago with an AC Delco sensor. I don't have a multimeter that can check square waves so I am guessing that it is still good.

Battery voltage should not be too high. AC Delco battery that is two years old.

I took a look at the connector today and all of the pins looked good. None of them looked bent or corroded. I am hoping to get this figured out before throwing another $200 away!

Thanks for all of your responses and I will let you know what I find out tomorrow.

Scott

I worked on a GN today that had at least 100 installation no nos on it. One thing i noticed was that the coil pack and module was missing the gasket:eek: . All the grounds were loose or in the wrong places:eek: . The 12V alt wire was run in front of the intercooler:eek: . Every 12v wire at the starter with a fuse link had no insulation covering at least 3" over the wires before the fuse link and no wire loom over it either:eek: . The steel fuel feed line was replaced with a piece of fuel hose that wasnt insulated and was rubbing all over the body and frame:eek: .I dont know how this particular car did not catch on fire.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

FastGN whats your plugs gapped at? Do your plugs wires have alot of resistance in them? I'm thinking there may be a problem with delivering the spark, thats causing the coils to work really hard.

What brand of modules are you using?

I have several posts on this site where I have described an ongoing WOT ignition misifre problem I've had for nearly 4 years. When it first started, I went through 3 coil modules (not the coils, but the module itself) in about 5 months. The last module lasted until about a week ago, but that's only been about 1,800 miles. Everytime I've replaced the modules they seemed to work fine, but the WOT ignition misfire never went away. However, just the other day I decided to replace the plug wires (for the second time in 4 years) and the ignition misfire seemed to disappear. However, just as quickly as the misfire went away, the car developed a very slight, random misfire at part throttle. The new, part-throttle misfire went from occassional at first, then constant at anything above idle then the module finally completely failed - all within about 40 miles. So, it seems I keep going through modules also (although the last one did hang-in for must longer than the first few). What I don't understand in my case, is that the part-throttle misfire didn't show up until the WOT misfire disappeared.

I have ordered a genuine AC Delco module this time, so we will see how long it holds up.

Rob

The first two ignition modules and coils were AC Delco. The third time around ?I went and got a Magnavox module from Pep Boys and an AC Delco coil. The plug wires are MSD wires from Russ (about a year old). I am running CR43TS plugs gapped at .035.

Thanks,
Scott

I just can't see going through modules like that.

I would be taking a closer look at the crank sensor. Make sure the reluctor wheel is not hitting the sensor. Rotate the crank and check on all three blades.

If for some reason the reluctor wheel is riding too deep in the sensor, that will cause problems too.

Get under there with a good flashlight and take a close look.

I don't know what could be taking out ignition modules. Bad grounds are notorious on these cars.

I changed to the type II ignition off a 88 or later Buick years ago & no longer am eating up coil paks - or coils.

Could it be possible it is getting too much heat??

Just a thought.:cool:

I don't know what could be taking out ignition modules. Bad grounds are notorious on these cars.

I changed to the type II ignition off a 88 or later Buick years ago & no longer am eating up coil paks - or coils.