i FU$%%EN give up

Hows this for a senerio. Alky being ignited in the intake-boom. A backfire (for whatever reason) igniting the spraying alky-then of course kaboom.

As far as a damaged piston, depending on the damage could be many things of course. If you buy into the alky explosion idea, then you could easily associate the cause of the piston damage with the backfire (lean?, works with your lean plug description).

Sorry for the loss, I just installed a new engine myself along with many other thousands of dollars of stuff. Just waiting for something to happen.

The only way for you be sure is to pull the heads and look to see if you did damage. Other things could have been hurt as well. Bottom line is you found the weakest link by pushing your luck too soon. I would helicoil the intake manifold too. Hope you find the cause.

the fuel on the scanmaster i bumped it up from 128 to 135

Those numbers are the BLM/INT's, and numbers greater than 128 mean the ecm has detected a lean condition and is richening (adding fuel) to compensate.... which would indicate that you actually leaned it down, rather than 'bumped it up'.... AND... those numbers are in a table, based on load and rpm, not just a single number, so a bl=128 at idle means (tells you) absolutely nothing about the tune at anything other than idle.

It would seem, that you got a backfire due to either a lean condition (lean pop), or an ignition breakdown trying to run 25 psi... and if a piston is burnt, that would point to a massive lean pop...

Scanmaster at dinosaur data rate combined with the factory narrow band O2 sensor is way inadequate to try and safely jump up to 25 psi, IMO... like the other poster said..... it would take me 'AWHILE' to get to 25 psi with those tools only..... you need a powerlogger (or DirectScan for us poor folks :redface: ), a GOOD understanding of how to interpret the data, and a slow, careful, methodic approach to avoid problems like this.....

That said, hopefully the damage is relatively minor.... and you can just replace the piston(s), button it back up, and proceed with a more cautious approach.... :wink:

I think he was talking about adjusting the TT chip fueling?

and your point is???? (not being a smartazz...:smile: )

Eric makes a couple of the blm cells user adjustable to control WOT fuel. Basically instead of the cell being used to store long term fuel correction the user can manually move the number up or down to change WOT fuel.

Eric makes a couple of the blm cells user adjustable to control WOT fuel. Basically instead of the cell being used to store long term fuel correction the user can manually move the number up or down to change WOT fuel.

AAHHHH.... :smile: I gotcha' - makes sense.... I wasn't aware that's how the TT fueling adjustments display on the scantool.... see?? learn something new every day!! and I really WASN'T trying to be a smarta$$... :smile:

one headgasket blew into the oil valley causing blowby

the other one is puched out should i change it yes of course...... right?

2qlvptu.jpg
passanger side

26240h0.jpg

That's a lot of gasket material in your engine. You got lot's to clean.

I don't think a break in issue caused this at all. I'm one of the ones that back it out of the drive way then give it it hell. This year's refresh got a few street miles on it then right to the track. But, I make sure everything is 110% before I turn it up. I data log everything....a 15 psi pass...18 psi pass....20psi pass....etc...making sure that the engine is always getting plenty of fuel.

The melted piston imo is a tuning issue for sure. It leaned out bad. Intake blew off probably due to a horrible backfire. Maybe the alchy pump failed or the tune was way off?? May not have had enough octane for that much boost?? How much timing?

I don't think a break in issue caused this at all. I'm one of the ones that back it out of the drive way then give it it hell. This year's refresh got a few street miles on it then right to the track. But, I make sure everything is 110% before I turn it up. I data log everything....a 15 psi pass...18 psi pass....20psi pass....etc...making sure that the engine is always getting plenty of fuel.

The melted piston imo is a tuning issue for sure. It leaned out bad. Intake blew off probably due to a horrible backfire. Maybe the alchy pump failed or the tune was way off?? May not have had enough octane for that much boost?? How much timing?

That sounds like a nail being hit on the head.

Has a melted piston even been verified? Sounds to me like the OP just assumed and now has found a blown head gasket.

Your sig says ported heads....Those do not look like ported heads. I still see the casting marks and all.

Well IMO there are a few contributing factors. Engine not being broken in, and lean condition, I have burnt up a piston that was not broken in correctly after beating on it (engine had less then 150 miles), rebuilt motor and broke parts in correctly and with same tune 15,000 mile and plenty of beatings, still runs great.

The only thing ported about those heads is the ported headgasket. You got ripped.

I change my vote. The dipstick was loose causing the block to vent PCV leaning out the mixture and redesigning a headgasket.:wink:

Ah....i FU$%%EN give up.

The problem is.........1. Brand new motor :cool: 2. Not tuned :rolleyes: 3. 25lbs and Alky :eek: 4. Blown headgasket and intake manifold (possible piston?) :mad: . You blew your load too fast, you gotta take it easy with these cars. ;)

On a side note....that is one of the largest headgasket breaches I have ever seen.

I did one just as bad in 07. I hung it on the wall in the garage as a reminder to keep an eye on the tune and the fuel.

Bryan

In one of your first post. " How to tune"
I referenced the Turbo Regal web site for info for you to learn. You explained to me that those where just numbers
and do not mean anything. I have stayed out of any and all of your threads since. But i feel I must speak now.
If you spent $500 or 10k on your motor. Broke it in slow or fast. None of it will matter if you refuse to learn how to tune it properly. You can buy scan masters/ powerloggers/
gauges everything. But if you do not know what they are telling you it is all worthless.

Sorry for your loss.

PS. Who won the pool..........:rolleyes: .

In one of your first post. " How to tune"
I referenced the Turbo Regal web site for info for you to learn. You explained to me that those where just numbers
and do not mean anything. I have stayed out of any and all of your threads since. But i feel I must speak now.
If you spent $500 or 10k on your motor. Broke it in slow or fast. None of it will matter if you refuse to learn how to tune it properly. You can buy scan masters/ powerloggers/
gauges everything. But if you do not know what they are telling you it is all worthless.

Sorry for your loss.

PS. Who won the pool..........:rolleyes: .

I think this was my 3rd or 4th post in the origional thread...

Have someone help you... if you keep running qurter mile blasts your gonna be picking up pieces and quick.