i FU$%%EN give up

liv4gnz

i dropped my motor in 13 hours all done took it for a ride and al was good next day bumped up the boost 25 psi on alky and wow until BOOM

i blew off the top half of the intake manifold so i got new gaskets and longer bolts and what do you know the same ****en problem i cracked a ring or melted a piston again 5100 dollars later and back to the same ****en ****

how would that crack a ring or burn a piston if that popped off it even dented the underside of my hood

Just for clarification....I know you are upset.

You just dropped in a refreshed motor and then ran 25 psi right out of the box?

I have not been following your build, so I don't know if you already broke the motor in or not.

Did you pick up any Detonation? Melted a piston?:eek:

Sorry for you troubles man.

drove it for 2 days and been on it for 2 days straight raising the boost slowly and slowly and switched the chips for alky started on 18 pounds and worked my way up to 24 with zero knock

the fuel on the scanmaster i bumped it up from 128 to 135

the plugs were kinda white so was it leaning out or thats how they burn with alky?

are 60# injectors good enough for this and how else should i add more gas when now i pull the freaken head off this motor that hasnt even been together for 4 days

and the 02s were at 800-820 at WOT

it blew the top intake manifold where the throttle body bolts to right out of the manifold

i think that was caused with short screws with the rjc spacer but still would that cause it to burn a piston when that came off

you blew the plenum off your intake, and your "fix" was to get longer bolts to hold it down without bothering to do so much as run a compression check?

I'm gonna go with....break in period? Man that's a lot to ask of that motor/build with next to 0 hours on it.

White all over or white specs?

well it was easier to do first to put a new gasket and put it back and cross my fingers than to pull the plugs.

would that cause it to burn up liek that with it blowing off

the plugs were just like almost brand new still not black and like lighter colored no spots and from your guys perspective i thought there was no break in on a roller setup quote"we break our new engines in on the dyno" when i asked this question like 3 times and got the same answer

Wow...25psi on the 2nd day...:eek:
Do you have a scanmaster, powerlogger, or some type of scan tool? Did you make sure the fuel pressure was rising 1:1. boost vs. pressure? Fresh meth in the tank? What was the controller set to? It takes me a while to feel safe and must have clean runs before getting that high. I mean weeks!

You can break a motor in on a dyno, just running 2000-3000 rpm for a good while. They certainly do not go for an all out WOT blast to check hp/tq right after the last bolt was tightened.

there should be a couple hundred miles of light driving not above 3K to make sure if something does go wrong, you don't window the block you sold your kids spleen to acquire.

scanmaster alky was on 7 and kicking on i filled the tank before i went for a run

the question is

how would i richen up the mixture to be safe

and would that intake popping off cause me to blow a piston

Sorry to hear that. No break in means the run at high idle for 20 minutes on initial start-up orwhat ever method they use to break in flat tappets. The 02 readings. How fast were you going when you saw 800? The white plugs should have been tan.

You can break a motor in on a dyno, just running 2000-3000 rpm for a good while. They certainly do not go for an all out WOT blast to check hp/tq right after the last bolt was tightened.

there should be a couple hundred miles of light driving not above 3K to make sure if something does go wrong, you don't window the block you sold your kids spleen to acquire.

My engine builder, Pete Barton, recommended putting 500 highway miles on my new motor without going into boost as a break-in period. I also think it's a good idea after a couple hundred miles to change the oil and cut open the filter to look for anything suspicious. Paul

Add fuel to the chip. That will fatten the mixture up. Detonation found its way in somehow.:redface: Was the knock sensor in right? You never saw any knock at 25psi?

I would think that after doing main caps and everything associated with that job, cam, bearings, new valvetrain, etc. You would want to cut everything in at a high idle for longer than 20 minutes.

Back on track though, I'm curious as to why the hat blew off the intake - regardless of the bolt/stud length.

Hey, you didn't push out a headgasket.....:biggrin:

believe me i wish it was a ****en headgasket

i started it let it run for 30 minutes

droive it home with the street chip on moderate boost no major blasts

one more day liek that alot of driving

and next day threw in the alky chip and what do you know no knock and boom

like i said it might have been the bolts were not long enough for the spacer because the threads ripped out a little bit and took off 2 plug wires and put a dent in my hood ):

would the intake come off due to too much pressure init and it lifted off cause the piston to crap out? its a new knock sensor and works with my exhaust closed up!

my moms altima is louder than the car now

It would take a lot to blow one of those off. I have been up to 30 psi without issue. There had to be some kind of combination of things that resulted in a huge back up of pressure....OR those threads in the casting were going south well before you got to it.

I can see detonation shocking the bottom end, melting a piston, destroying rings, etc....but blowing the dog house off? I just don't see it.

Cylinder pressure will easily overcome whatever the turbo is throwing out and simply exit the way it came in. There was an explosion at exactly the wrong time. Wrong timing, RPM, coupled with detonation could possibly do this.

it had to be really loose and i guess it was the threads were not really in all the way now say that was the problem it wasnt tight enough and pulled the threads out

would that cause it to melt a piston?

what else or what kind of backup would cause that to blow off?>??