Humbled smack talker SRT4 tonight

Wow i have been following this for the last half yr now ,and was under the impression this is the worlds badest SRT,buy they way he played it up,(please sit down) and lost to a wagon...............:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

no replacement for displacement

I know this is a turbo Buick site, but surely nobody is too surprised about the wagon. Come on. I've been raised a diehard Buick fan and although I wasn't born until 1982, I'm pretty sure that in 1970 a Stage 1 455 was rated at 510 lb-ft of torque at around 2800 RPM. (its not exactly easy hooking up with that either, folks) As far as horsepower goes, I've heard anywhere from 370-430. (always got that insurance rating controversy). This man has a Stage 2. That wagon is very heavy, but dammit, thats why Buick rocks my freakin world. It's not hard to put a BBB in the 12's, 11's, etc. I love turbo Regals, GN's, GNX's, I don't have one though because I know nothing about boost, chips, and all that. I would have loved to see that GN make an example of the Neon, but something about that "heavy, slow, grocery getting, grandpa's car" putting on a clinic for the audience just gives me wood.
I own a plain 87 Regal (except its got a Stage 1 455 in it). But, to the uneducated masses, its just a slow @$$ junk Regal. No, its not an eye catcher (except to people like me), but I can get 13's and I paid $5000 for the car almost exactly 1 year ago. Imagine what could (will) happen with 10 or $15,000. It even scares me sometimes. Just don't ever ask me if its a SBC!:mad:
I have much respect for newer cars that can put up similar numbers with an engine half as big, and get twice as much gas mileage. What I hate most is their image. (they watch Fast and Furious and now every shnook with a civic wants to install a tailpipe the size of a 50 gallon drum, install the biggest dam tach they can find, and a fire extinguisher (suspect halfass wiring? I don't get it) But, for my budget, I'm dam proud of what I drive. :cool:

I give him credit. He did have the guts to show up even though he lost. AlaskaBuick has some pretty fast rides. Looking forward to a rematch next year.

Thanks for the comments.. I knew what I was getting into with the wagon as I had a 64 riv with a wildcat (im getting the pics uploaded right now). however we had a mishap with a part and that sometimes happens.. there will be a rematch and the grudge will roll on into the summer of 07 (we can even do a few track days if the doc is willing to make the 450 mile trip (each way).

I also agree with the image alot of the import tuners have given the sport compact race scene as I was into these cars well before FATF came out (I had a 69 El Camino and a 88 Chrysler conquest/Mitsubishi Starion with the 2.6L turbo rwd). Had quite a bit done to the heavy quest and was running consistant low 12s with out the giggle gas which was very respectable back in 98.

if you notice on the pictures of my car the body is just how it came from dodge and only exterior changes are rims (wider), suspension (cornering and to help stop wheel hop), mercedes benz E55 custom projector headlights (projectors retrofitted into the factory neon housing).. Im not a fan of the body kits and trash can sized exhausts..

anyway not to waste ya'lls time just wanted to show some appreciation and respect to the buick owners that have kept a classic alive..

hey neon, like that other guy said, thanks for your military service. i just got out of the Air Force about a year ago myself and i know how it is being sent from place to place when your trying to get stuff done. (i think you mentioned having to go away for a while, which delayed the race) to be honest, i dont know about the rest of you guys, but i get more pissed about all the SBC guys runnin their yaps than anything. out of all the mustangs, chryslers, tuners, etc. on the road, its our own fellow GM people in the chevy world that i love to beat more than anything. of course, i blame most of Buicks current products on Chevy and Gm. ( i know, i know, i should seek counseling. i'm already on my way. i know the drill.) but seriously, think about that.

OK I didn't know how you guys live in Alaska..I'm in Fairbanks and working at the AF base..It was -40 yesterday and got up to a warm -21 today...This SUCKS.

trust me.. its not fun :) my car is sitting out side with jumpers on it so we can get it started (sat for 2 days without being started). then off to go install some more goodies.. hopfully the SOB will start up.

Dennis just a heads up for next spring. we ordered the new DCR (darrell cox racing) block (rated to handle 1000whp but race tested at 1400hp) and we went with his race head as well... should be some great racing next spring thats for sure.. Im making a call to hales so I can get him to finally get the car on the dyno so we can get a good tune done on it instead of a street tune (about the only option us alaskans have lately)..

anyway happy late turkey day hope all had a good one :)

How much $ total in retail aftermarket parts are on that Neon as of today?

of my $ or sponsors $.. past and new parts including parts that have been uninstalled and sold?

lol TOO Damn much.. but its a hobby and it keeps me busy.. so I cant complain..

the new motor is around 7500 for everything
GT35-82R DBB turbo kit - my cost is 2200 (for everything)
1000CC injectors - 350
New pump - 210
Clutch - 900
Motor mounts (solid all around) - 285
Exhaust - Free (sponsorship) (4'' turbo back)
suspension - 1900
stand alone management - 2100 (AEM EMS) being replaced by Rage Tek
BOV - 160 (my cost) (tial 50mm)
wastegate 160 (my cost) tial 38mm) being replaced by a tial 44mm
FMIC - Free (sponsorship)
tripple pressure pipe kit - free (sponsorship)
CF dash with tripple pod molded in - free (sponsorship)
gauges - 200 (total for all 6) - my cost
ignition - 230 (my cost) MSD Dis-2
misc parts - quite a bit actually

alot of the newer parts are all from sponsors for the car

but we have a pretty penny into the neon.. but its all for fun next season we are going to be trailering the car to the track and it will be my weekend toy rather than daily driver as we now have a 92 SE-R with a SR20DET swap and upgraded turbo for the daily driver.

nice weather

ttype 83, Nice weather huh?
Jim what are you doing at Eielson? My company works out there once and awhile.

Look on the bright side, you dont need a intercooler at -40!! How long you hear for?

Ryan, glad to hear about your new motor. Hell you might now be able to keep up with my new stage 2 1200 hp motor that I orderd after seeing your post.
Man we got to stop making each other spend money man!...

Cooooomooonnn, Im just kidding. Got the same mill, not doing any changes. Tired of wrenching, she is running good and dont want to touch it.

Yeah maybe a spring trip to the track would be fun. Already itching to drive the cars and its only November.

Den

ttype 83, Nice weather huh?
Jim what are you doing at Eielson? My company works out there once and awhile.

Look on the bright side, you dont need a intercooler at -40!! How long you hear for?

Den

I don't know how you guys do it ... To cold for me, a big shock coming from Atlanta .
I work for World Airways, we are moving the Troops back home :biggrin:
1 plane a day until Thrusday, then we'll have 3.
I'm here untill the 1st..My CarbedHotAir would do great here ;)

Jim

OK I didn't know how you guys live in Alaska..I'm in Fairbanks and working at the AF base..It was -40 yesterday and got up to a warm -21 today...This SUCKS.

:eek: Geez I thought it was cold when I was stationed at Why Not Minot, Freezings the Reason in North Damn Dakota.

Stay warm...

I don't know how you guys do it ... To cold for me, a big shock coming from Atlanta .
I work for World Airways, we are moving the Troops back home :biggrin:
1 plane a day until Thrusday, then we'll have 3.
I'm here untill the 1st..My CarbedHotAir would do great here ;)

Jim

Hey Jimbo, it is 70-degrees here at home today. Just remember we love ya!!! LOL!!!

Jim C.

PS-Bring me back a snowball and not a yellow one either smart azz!!! :eek:

ok dennis we are getting ready for spring 07 you down for a track run

new goodies on order and installed
(in random order)
Rage Tek Stand alone
DCR 1000hp Race block combo
DCR Race head
DCR oil pressure modifier
DCR crank scraper
Tial 2bar wastegate spring
new 02 housing with external dump instead of recirc.
Hbrace and traction bar kit
some new slicks
MSD DIS2 with Launch Controll (so we can build boost off the line)
and we are rebuilding the turbo (we toasted a few seals when we hit that -38 week of weather) so while thats being rebuilt we are doing a port/clip on it
6pt cage
cant wait to run again and hopfully this time at the track :) so I can get the slicks on her

And I thought that 20 degrees was going to kill me. I wouldn't live there if it was the last place on earth.

Jason

Last place on Earth

And I thought that 20 degrees was going to kill me. I wouldn't live there if it was the last place on earth.

Jason

Dont let a little cold scare you, it could be +110 and sweating your A$$ off.

You may think again about that if you ever spent a summer here, they are awesome. Our summers have 24 hour sunlight at the peak of the summer. Temps range from 60's to 90' thru the summer time. Use my AC about 3 weeks out of the year, but could do without it (ac in the car that is).

Winters do tend to get a little cold and dark. But that is the price we pay for living in the wilderness of a State 1/4th the size of the US, with a population of only 1/2 million people. No freeways, no traffic jams, everyone is freindly here.

Here are some pics of our race track and of the fall colors in a mountain pass.

Den

Attachments

• Copy (2) of Palmer drags sept. 05 005.jpg
    Copy (2) of Palmer drags sept. 05 005.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 320
  • Copy of Palmer drags sept. 05 007.jpg
    Copy of Palmer drags sept. 05 007.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 315
  • Copy of Palmer drags sept. 05 014.jpg
    Copy of Palmer drags sept. 05 014.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 339
looking out the front door....

Here is a picture taken out the front door of the frozen lake.

Attachments

• Family winter 04 027.jpg
    Family winter 04 027.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 333