Humbled smack talker SRT4 tonight

I'll correct that last statement - there were quite a few Regals in BGNS and NASCAR.

Don't want to forget the CART and INDY Light cars.

This was a great read... I actually spent 2 hours reading every post...

As for driving grampa's buick... I refer to mine as a V6 Regal... :eek:

Funny, the insurance is cheaper than my 84 MCSS...

Anyhow, thanks for the reading... GREAT entertainment value.

Drop me a line if any of you ever get to HI.

Rob

There was a post that was reported in this thread!

Leave the PERSONAL INFO OFF THE BOARD!

Seems most of this is between 2 people so please take it to PM!

Sure I call certain cars "rice" any car that has a type R sticker and its not a type R or GT-R or what ever, the guys with big ass aluminum wings on FWD cars (even alot of RWD cars that do not need them), the guys with 1000 bazillion neon lights everywhere, guys who have stickers on their car for parts that are not actually on it, ghetto cars with unpainted body kits that look like ass you know those types.

as for my car being associated with FATF there was never a SRT-4 or even a neon in the FATF (to my understanding at least).

now just because I have a monster turbo "for a 4cyl" and quite a bit of mods I do not think im the worlds baddest racer or worlds biggest johnson slinger no need as there is always someone faster..

I think alot of you will change your tone and attitude when the car is finally finished up this winter and you see what the car is capable of..you would be suprised what a little 4cyl neon can do. granted it will not blow your mind or make you sell your GN or domestic V8 for one..but it will show you how the whole "modding" thing began..

let me put this into perspective so that some of the older tuners will see where I and many others are comming from.

back in the 30s,40s,50s and so on the younger guys would get hand me down or low dollar beaters and then upgrade parts to make the car faster.

thats what we are doing now with these 4cyl as alot of people have steered clear of the old school domestics due to prices, knowledge (i.e. wtf is a nail haid or wtf is push rod motor) granted some of these guys have no clue how this whole world started and how some of the rat rods and high boys began the whole street racing scene.. hell I know about 30 guys who I used to race with had no clue how this stuff went down and how things were in the 'old days'. I had to show them a few things ranging from some older movies (american grafitti, hollywood knights and so on mad max yadda yadda) then show them some old photo's from my father and grandfathers rides. when they learned about the past they were mind boggled and started to understand a little more of the history of racing and modding cars.
I hear what you're saying. I just think a lot of people consider small front wheel drive, 4 cylinder cars ricey mostly due to the FATF movies - fair or not. We all know anything that has wheels and an engine can be made to go fast, but at what cost? For me (and I think for most of us who've own turbo Buicks) it's about several things. Some of which are the bang for the buck, squared off 80's Buick look, comfort, options, usable space, gas mileage and obviously inexpensive high performance.

I can say I was personally SHOCKED to hear about the little V-6 that could in mid 1985. Sometime around 1986 I was lucky enough to get a ride in one and didn't believe it was a V-6 under the hood. I've been hooked since and really haven't seen anything close that compares to such easy and cheap performance with a look that appeals to me.

The beautiful thing about automobiles is they make'em in so many different styles there's bound to be something for everyone.... For you it's a Neon, for me it's a Regal (to each his own).

Hey guys. A while back i think i saw a video of a race where a 1970 gs wagon ate a blue neon. Does anyone know which video im talking about? If so, can someone please help me find it? I really need to show it to someone. Thanx

Sure I call certain cars "rice" any car that has a type R sticker and its not a type R or GT-R or what ever, the guys with big ass aluminum wings on FWD cars (even alot of RWD cars that do not need them), the guys with 1000 bazillion neon lights everywhere, guys who have stickers on their car for parts that are not actually on it, ghetto cars with unpainted body kits that look like ass you know those types.

as for my car being associated with FATF there was never a SRT-4 or even a neon in the FATF (to my understanding at least).
After further review I'd like to make this observation after reviewing photos and the race clip.

I don't think you're doing yourself a favor with the ricer label by installing blue (non-DOT) headlamps, aftermarket "Dark Side" lettering on the fender along with the large wing, regardless if it's stock or not. Combine this with the signature 4 cylinder performance exhaust and it's a combination for stereotypical labeling. This isn't a slam or attack on your ride, just an observation and possible explanation.

After further review I'd like to make this observation after reviewing photos and the race clip.

I don't think you're doing yourself a favor with the ricer label by installing blue (non-DOT) headlamps, aftermarket "Dark Side" lettering on the fender along with the large wing, regardless if it's stock or not. Combine this with the signature 4 cylinder performance exhaust and it's a combination for stereotypical labeling. This isn't a slam or attack on your ride, just an observation and possible explanation.

ok but before you judge things (i know your not slamming the car). the cuda stripes with my shops name (dark syde performance) = advertising. the "non DOT approved blue headlights" are actually DOT approved they are a mercedez benz E55 hi/low HID projector retrofit into a SRT stock headlamp (so not to blind people) those alone run for 1550 for the setup so they are not some cheap pep boys blue headlights. the 4'' "4cyl exhaust" is not your run of the mill setup its a mandrel bent 4'' turbo back with cutout its a full race system (thus no uber rice can). and the wing is well stock..its how they came and I refuse to put some other wing on it until i put the CF trunk with AVS downdraft (ELW) CF wing (1'' tall fin off the rear sorta like how the monte carlo's have)

like i said its not your "typical ricer" as alot of you guys may think.. but anyway also like you said cars come in diff types and styles and some people like different things. I love the regal/gn body style (miss the 79 malibu my brother had) and if I could find a GN around here for a good price I would grab it as its one of my favorite cars on the road and now that they are comming up to the 20yr mark that means modding is endless in states with IM (collector car)..

anyway appreciate your comments and I respect your honesty.

-Ryan
Dark Syde Performance
DarkSyde Racing - Your SRT Performance Headquarters.

PM sent on the lighting.

I know you have your reasons for all the cosmetic and performance parts but it's the combination of them that seem to fall in lock step with the popular teen movie, thus the stereotyping.

I'm not familiar with Alaska and know the population is very low so maybe everyone knows each other, but I would assume an advertisement would be accompanied by a phone # and/or website URL. At least that's how I'd advertise a business. When I looked at your car without being familiar with your business I had no idea it was an ad but thought it simply some slogan or that you were a Star Wars fan.

PM sent on the lighting.

I know you have your reasons for all the cosmetic and performance parts but it's the combination of them that seem to fall in lock step with the popular teen movie, thus the stereotyping.

I'm not familiar with Alaska and know the population is very low so maybe everyone knows each other, but I would assume an advertisement would be accompanied by a phone # and/or website URL. At least that's how I'd advertise a business. When I looked at your car without being familiar with your business I had no idea it was an ad but thought it simply some slogan or that you were a Star Wars fan.

newside5.jpg

its under the cuda stripes web URL and # :)
retro.jpg

the big turbo when we were installing it
big5.jpg

exhaust pix of the ricer
4exhaust3.jpg

4exhaust1.jpg

the intercooler
HUGE1.jpg

RICOR 4 LIFE YO :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

can i ask why you need a cut-out when you have a 4 inch exhaust?

also have you ever done some back pressure tests in the manifolds before the turbo with the exhaust capped and uncapped?

i ahve done this on my car with some interesting results on the effects of uncapping the cut-out does for lamiter flow and back pressure pre-turbine.

here it is

Mods to the engine/exhaust/turbo is in the sig. well here goes.

All the pressure reading were taken from the EGR port.

RUN 1 20 psi of boost in third gear i showed a BP of 33 psi made two runs to verify consistesy. this was thru the exhaust

RUN2 Next i proceeded to open the collecter on my test pipe. with the dump open @ the same 20 psi the BP was @ 36 psi Again to runs were made to show consistesy.

RUN3 i took the Test pipe competely off the car and ran just a open DWN pipe the boost went to 22 psi with 35 Psi of BP

Run4 i corrected the boost back down to 20 psi with the Dwn pipe and got 31.5 Psi of BP.

So from what i have noticed on my car just opening the dump on my test pipe yeilds no gains at all.

next. i'm going to check the Back pressure @ the o2 sensor location to see if there is an actual diffrence in pressure there than at the egr port. i doubt there will be any difference since the EGR port is tied in witht he rest of the exhaust system pre-turbo.

so 31.5psi/20 psi= 1.57 ratio just a open dwn pipe.

20psi/33psi= 1.65 ratio thru the exhaust

20psi/36psi= 1.8 ratio with the dump open on the test pipe.

The only thing that i can think of why the Backpressure went up by just opening the test pipe is that it is creating turbulence in the pipe by the air having turn and exit the dump collector. thus having to have more pressure to get the air to flow out or maybe not more pressure bu more engery to push the air out even tho it's a shorter way out.

The only thing that i can see that would make the Backpressure lower by opening the dump collector is the fact that the car has a real restrictive exhaust.

how this makes for some interesting info guys.

nice post and useful information. we noticed quicker spool with it open by about 2-300 RPM via datalog as well as a peppier top end however the dyno run this spring will show the true results :) hopfully they go in the right direction lol

Great read, and race. Neon didnt gain any, but didnt give any. I was waiting for his boost to kickin, and blow by you, but i have a 1970 GS Rivirea with 455, and it will fly.

Holy old post Batman. But I never read this one before. I thought the season in Connecticut was short. Geeez, can't be more then a few months in Alaska.
Nice Kill.

Can someone please start this argument up again? I love the drama, and love when import fags use all their excuses. I know one kid Bryan Rinko with an srt-4, he used to race from a roll........an 80mph roll. I told him that the race is 3/4's the way over when he starts, so know we call it "the Rinko Roll" around my school

Can someone please start this argument up again? I love the drama, and love when import fags use all their excuses. I know one kid Bryan Rinko with an srt-4, he used to race from a roll........an 80mph roll. I told him that the race is 3/4's the way over when he starts, so know we call it "the Rinko Roll" around my school

Well I dont know what ever happened to Ryan in the Neon last year. I have heard around town that he pulled his motor and never got it back together again?

Maybe some day he will get his rematch with my Wagon or GN, I am ready.

Update on that slow 12 second wagon... I put larger exhaust on it last summer, took it too the track running 255/60 cooper cobra radial street tires.. = 11:80 @113 mph..

Better pack you your lunch Ryan.

Den