HP Increase with just a cam swap?

Raymond Bunch

"Turbo Enthusiast"
What kind of horsepower increase can I expect with just a cam swap on a stock un-opened engine with 83k miles. Mods and my most current 1/8 mile time is in my signature. Not many people have done just a cam swap on stock engine. I think it would be fun to see how far I can go...

I will most likely go with the Comp Cams 212-212 billet roller cam, and lifters.

Later ported heads will go on, after I have my fun with just a cam change.

Ray

I would expect the peak to be slightly higher and the average mass flow across the entire range to drop unless you changed valve springs. So it would hurt performance slightly. Id also expect a drop in economy.

BPE2013@hotmail.com

Valve springs, hardened rockers haft, and cam button will be all new as well. Sorry, I forgot to mention this in the above post.

Do the heads .. more to be found there for the same price

I know but I like being different. I know a few people have done just a cam swap and seen improvements.

I guess I'll just have to try it out and see for myself after this weekend. This weekend I will be going to a 1/4 mile track in an attempt to hit a very, very high 10sec pass with my current combo. It's know it's going to be very tough, but that's part of the fun. We'll see what happens... 10sec or not, I will be doing a billet roller cam, then heads later on.

will stock tta heads support .50e" lift without cutting down the exhaust guides

will stock tta heads support .50e" lift without cutting down the exhaust guides

That a very good question. I didn't even think about this, I was assuming everything would be the same as the GN's. I totally forgot my heads are different. I'll give Nick Micale at Arizona GN a call and see.... I know not to long ago he modified a TTA, and I'm sure he would know... Thanks for bring this up Pacecarta.

My car with stock heads and cam, GT6776e at 24-26psi on 93/Alky did a best recorded ET of 11.18 @ 119 with a 1.53 60ft and 11.22 @ 124 with a 11.48 60ft with 14-16psi trans brake launch...build details in my sig. I'm quite sure it had an 11.0 pass in it and maybe even a 10.99 with all the stars aligned and locking the converter in the right spot of the pass I just didn't run it enough to get the slip. I do think I made a a pass in the area at Cecil a few years back that according to my Power Logger files (124-126 mph) and seat of the pants was my best pass ever but unfortunately the track timed out while I was building boost and recorded all zero's :(
Personally I think it's a waste of time to pull the motor to change the cam and not do anything with the heads but that's just me. I don't think you will get any better than mid or maybe 11.30's 1/4...good luck on a 10.99 with your current setup...hope you pull it off as that would be pretty impressive to say the least!

Last edited:
That a very good question. I didn't even think about this, I was assuming everything would be the same as the GN's. I totally forgot my heads are different. I'll give Nick Micale at Arizona GN a call and see.... I know not to long ago he modified a TTA, and I'm sure he would know... Thanks for bring this up Pacecarta.
GN's are very limited stock.

BPE2013@hotmail.com

Scott, that's still very impressive with what you accomplished with you car! You are so right, all the stars will need to be aligned to pull off a 10.99. My car did 96 mph multiple times already with the converter unlocked, I plan on locking it on the 1/4 mile pass. Hopefully by locking it, this will give me a couple more mph up top. If I can run a bottom 11 sec pass, Id be a happy camper. But, a 10.99 is my ultimate goal. We shall see tomorrow...

I was around 98/99 in the 1/8 if I recall...needed to lock the converter around 105 but with a manual switch I tried it at the 1/8 mark since I was close and it was easy to spot. I picked up 26 mph on the back half locking around the 1/8th netted about 4-5 mph. Locking the converter in the right spot and getting my 60ft down made a huge difference.

Cool man, I'll try locking it at the 1/8 mile and see what it does. I have a manual switch so I'll try to find the sweet spot for my car. Of course the first couple of passes need to be clean and I plan on making the car pretty rich in 3/4 gear to be safe. And take fuel out as I go.

Cool man, I'll try locking it at the 1/8 mile and see what it does. I have a manual switch so I'll try to find the sweet spot for my car. Of course the first couple of passes need to be clean and I plan on making the car pretty rich in 3/4 gear to be safe. And take fuel out as I go.

11.0-11.2 isn't a problem for a stone stock motor TTA .. its been done many times ... and long ago..

With the newer tech out .. I think 10.80's is totally within reason...

IF it were me I would do the heads FIRST .. then the cam.. like I said money much better spent .. that is if you actually want too see sizeable increases in performance.

Sounds good man. Heads it is after thinking a bit more about things. As always, I appreciate everyone's advice! Logic prevails...once again! Thanks.

Wish me luck today...going north of 30psi, hope she holds!

Street legal drags was rained out today! 100% chance of rain....maybe tomorrow (Sunday) for test -n- tune.

Sounds good man. Heads it is after thinking a bit more about things. As always, I appreciate everyone's advice! Logic prevails...once again! Thanks.

Another thing for you to think about .. there are head porters and there are head porters .. I caution you on who you choose to do the port and assembly work

you would be surprised at how much more can be had when heads are done by someone that truly understands airflow... all the out of the box stuff is fine.. but there are a few guys
that understand the WHOLE picture ... I had 2 sets of heads done back in the mid 90's by a certain porter and I am still yet to find anyone even in the ballpark as to the quality of work he did.... the only draw back was the wait time.. it was 3 months for him to complete the 2 sets.. he probably had more time in the valves alone then another guy would spend on the entire port job .... if he was still doing the work I would gladly now wait.

I think you will find that anything over 24-26 psi on your current setup will not improve performance/ET. All your gains will need to be made in your 60' and locking the converter in the sweet spot not in more boost. Stock heads and cam will be maxed out at ~24 psi. My car with stock heads and cam and a 6776 HP was maxed out at 25 psi. I dynoed the car 2 different times same dyno pretty much same weather temp (~93-95) 1st at 22 psi 375 hp/395 ft lb again 1 year later 26 psi 385 hp/395 ft lb. With 4 additional psi it only picked up 10 more HP. You can only blow so much air through a straw after that its pretty much hot air. At 30+ psi some detonation will be catastrophic on your stock block...hope you are prepared to build a new engine.