How to pass emissions

blueracer1969

IM about to get my car tested, im in Illinois and my car will be run on a dyno while being tested, any advice? IM running a 204/214 cam, 50lb injectors, catalytic convertor is brand new, no EGR valve, 3000 stall. I wont be driving it on the dyno, so u think unhooking the turbo linkage will help to keep it from boosting, im afraid some idiot will be driving my car. They take emissions readings at 40-50 mph cruise i believe, so if someones accelerating and getting into boost, whats the emissions gonna be???

Since you have aluminum heads and no EGR system, make sure you have a good three-way-catalyst. Did you purchase the cat with your THDP, if so, that is a oxidizing cat only (controls HC and CO, but not NOx). Without EGR you're going to rely on the catalyst to help pass NOx. If the operator drives the trace smoothly, you shouldn't have any problems.

Previously posted by:
"gofstbuick:
"Did you purchase the cat with your THDP, if so, that is a oxidizing cat only (controls HC and CO, but not NOx)."

Does that mean that an otherwise bone stock car that's wearing a THDP with the cat that came with the THDP will not pass Calif. smog due to Nox?

If an otherwise bone stock car has a 160 thermostat and the THDP with the TH cat as mentioned above will that pass Cal smog?

If a stretch intercooler such as the PT & E factory mount is added to the above combination, will that pass Cal. Visual & function test?

Just checking before I make any errors here.

The cat with the THDP will pass the visual, the question is will it help reduce NOx, probably not, because it is only a oxidizing cat and not a three-way. The intercooler is just fine (you could even run a front mount), because intercoolers are category1 (items not of concern so long as required emissions controls systems are not altered) devices listed in appendix K of the current CA Smog Check Manual (should be on premises of every CA smog check station).

The cat with the THDP works just fine for passing CA emissions. I know because I've done it.

I'm scheduled for testing again next month. I hope all goes as well as it did two years ago. I do have some concerns since I've added ported heads with big valves and a cam since I was last tested but I still think I'll be ok.

Kool, thanks for the replies.
Will a 160 thermo pass the smog/
Adding a TA-49, as long as the breather bypass from the passanger valve cover is hooked up to the turbo ala "Factory"
will be ok, too. Right?

Gary,

Yes both of those items are fine. My car passed just fine with the 160 stat and the TA49. I'll send you an email with more details.

Originally posted by TRBON8R
The cat with the THDP works just fine for passing CA emissions. I know because I've done it.

This is not to say that the cat will not pass visual or even the emissions portion of the smog test, but if you encounter a NOx issue, the cat supplied with the THDP is oxidizing only. This means it is not designed to control NOx. More than likely, the EGR system is taking the full burden of controlling NOx, because the cat supplied with the THDP is not. Since the original poster is NOT using EGR, what is left except for the engine to control NOx. In the case of Wells, he has an EGR system, so technically, a working EGR system will help in his NOx sutuation, even if the cat is not. Additionally, the TA-49 will move more air than the stock turbo and will aid in NOx reduction, until it is boosted. Since the CA test is steady state and the engine is not in a boost condition during the test, NOx should also reduce. But in the case of Blueracer1969, if the guy driving the trace gets into boost heavy, trying to keep the mph within the trace parameters (and it is equipped with a larger turbo), NOx may shoot off the board. In CA, a TA-49 is technically not legal for sale or use in CA for emission controlled vehicles. But it does look stock.

testing

Originally posted by TRBON8R
Gary,

Yes both of those items are fine. My car passed just fine with the 160 stat and the TA49. I'll send you an email with more details.

I will testing in two month at a test only send me your info on your car i hope i pass as well

hey blue racer i live in illinois too i failed twice i had k and n filter cat convertor and pte 93 chip i called up joe at pte and got a emissions chip for the injectors i was using and it stayed on the dyno for 10 seconds and it passed call up joe lubrant

Originally posted by the wrath
hey blue racer i live in illinois too i failed twice i had k and n filter cat convertor and pte 93 chip i called up joe at pte and got a emissions chip for the injectors i was using and it stayed on the dyno for 10 seconds and it passed call up joe lubrant

whats joes number what does the chip run:eek:

the ph no. is 219-996-7832 what it does it makes the car run lean to pass emissions works really good you just need to tell him what injectors you have in your car thats it

Sorry I'm jumping into this thread so late, but maybe this will help soemone in the future. Illinois does not enforce NOx. They monitor it, but it's advisory.

EGR is designed to help NOx. There are no failures for NOx. I'll let everybody else add 2+2.