How to lose a Kimber gold match II slide

Texas gn

You all aren’t going to believe this. But it is so crazy that I just have to post it because I would hate to see anyone go through what I have been going through the last 3 days. My neighbor down the street has a beautiful 1911 Kimber gold match II 45 pistol. Well, he was showing it off to me several weeks ago while we were playing poker. Anyways it had a tiny little scratch on the SS slide and I told him I would be more than happy to buff it out for him. Several weeks go by and I see him again and he has the 45 upper slide wrap up in a small cloth with a string tying up. I told him I will take care of it and have it back to him tomorrow afternoon. Last Sunday I got up and changed the alky pump on the GN and then decided I would polish the 45 slide. It was missing! We, my wife and I tore the damn house apart, I found myself looking in places that I would never put part of a gun..

By now I am sick, upset and wonder about my mental faculties. I broke down and called the owner and asked if he really gave it to me and he said “I handed it to you and you placed it on the counter in the garage” I dumped the trash out on the floor and went through everything again. I even wrap up another towel and carried it as if it was the missing slide to see where I would of set it. Well I went in the house for a short while…made a stiff drink and came back out to the garage and noticed towel #2 was gone. “ That freakin DOG” I have a two year old Husky (my avatar picture)…might not have him long. Last night I was searching our 3 acres try to find where he buried it. SOB. Kimber said they will have to make a new slide after I send them the rest of the un devoured pistol…3 to 4 weeks,350 bucks, semi-pissed neighbor. Lesson learned. :mad:

The guy at Kimber said that was a first.

Rent or barrow a metal detector. That will find it can't be to deep. No telling what you will find. Lol

Hey. Can't blame the dog. He knew quality when he saw it. ;)
No, seriously, this is one of those situations you have to laugh about or else you'll end up being so angry you can't see straight.

Hey. Can't blame the dog. He knew quality when he saw it. ;)
No, seriously, this is one of those situations you have to laugh about or else you'll end up being so angry you can't see straight.
Can't wait until i am to the laughing stage. Now i have got to tell the owner that he needs to give me the rest of the pistol so i can send it off to Kimber...I would not want to give me the rest of the pistol after losing part of it. But i will do what ever makes it right...i gave him my word.

Is the mutt restricted to the yard? If so, I'm also thinking the metal detector is a good idea, B4 putting plan 2 into operation. [3 ac may not be too much to sweep]
How about a "bait gun"?? Set the mutt up w/ something wrapped like the last 2 items he stole. I'm betting he takes the stuff to his "stash house". U may find other items when you trail him to it...:D

Is the mutt restricted to the yard? If so, I'm also thinking the metal detector is a good idea, B4 putting plan 2 into operation. [3 ac may not be too much to sweep]
How about a "bait gun"?? Set the mutt up w/ something wrapped like the last 2 items he stole. I'm betting he takes the stuff to his "stash house". U may find other items when you trail him to it...:D

He is semi restriced to about an acre. I have tried to bait the SOB twice and he just takes it out to the front yard. I need to give him more time with the bait. I guess the little turd thought it would soften up after he buired it for a while. I bought a metal detector at lunch so i will try it after work. (last year i had some lug nuts come up missing when i upgrade the springs in the 67...now i know what happen to them)

This is the most intresting story. Sorry about your loss, and I think the guys here steered you in the right path! I wish you the best, and def keep us posted! I'm sending this ling to a friend who is a Military K-9 MP. Bet he will have ideas . LOL

Last night I started with the metal detector in his (stupid dog) favorite areas and found nothing but nails….lots of nails. The jerk that built my house should be taken out and flogged for spreading that many nails around the house. It is also difficult to operate it properly it the thick brush in the woods. Not looking good. I even check the dog…good thing it wasn’t in there because I would have….. Never mind. My neighbor is dropping the frame off to night so I can send it to Kimber. When it arrives I will be placing it into a .50cal ammo can.

Still has to be close by. Dont give up on the metal detector.could save you some head ache.
Well more head ache anyway.

New idea! :D
U know any LEO's that have a tracking/dope dog?? If so, use the Kimber as a scent item, turn the dog loose. He should be able to find the missing "bone"!! :cool:

Husky must be pretty dam smart thou for you not find anything. I feel your pain but still in shock with a funny lookin jaw dropping face!

Husky's are a handful!!! Got a kitty litter box? That's where mine used to bury everything!

This is not only unfortunate, but hilarious. I would love to have seen the look on this guy's face when you told him "my dog ate it!!"

Hope you find it.

Thanks for the input everyone but no luck finding the slide. I sent the remaining part of the pistol off today to Kimber. I hope ups does not lose it! …..I insured it good though!

I wish you the best of luck! Kimber should give you a new hand gun! Roll up another towel, and place it, and see where his ass is going!

Do you have any other dogs? If not is your dog, dog friendly (ie: won't attack another dog?) If he is amenable to another dog in his yard you might want to try something I learned:

I had never seen a dog bury anything as most of my dogs always devoured whatever I gave them... A few years ago I was getting these big rib bones and giving them to the dogs and they were eating them, or so I assumed... One day I go out and the Rottweiler and the chow follow me out to see what I'm doing... I notice that the rott keeps going to a certain spot kinda under a bush where I've never really seen her go to. She lays nearby and basically keeps the chow away. I take them inside and go back out to see what she's guarding... It was her rib bones.. I let her back out again and she runs back to the spot to check her stash.

I suppose if your dog has a stash, another dog in his yard might remind him that he has to go guard it and then you'll probably find some or all the stuff you're missing. (side note: i think your dog is a little odd :eek: -LOL - mine only ever hid food and treats--- Only ever seen a ferret steal other stuff and hide it...)

Good luck with your search