How to adjust timing

Robert Dean

I recently rebuilt the engine in my 87 GN.
I have already fired it up and done the initial 20 minute break in procedure. Everything seems to work perfect.....no problems in terms of running nicely. But I want some advice on how to adjust and set the timing if I want to after I am able to get it out on the road and run it hard and get things tuned the way I want. Any advice is appreciated. :)

Check out TurboTweakStore.Com Eric can make you a custom chip for your exact setup,,,chip is adjustable thru a ScanMaster device for fuel and timing ,,many here use them and they work great.

I have a turbo tweak chip installed that Eric made for me a couple years ago along with a set of 42 lb injectors to match.
I also have the scanmaster installed and operating. I actually installed the scan master at the same time as the chip.
I have a pretty good set up going...….High pressure/flow fuel pump with hotwire kit.........adjustable fuel pressure regulator that I have set at 50psi...…..tin man cold air intake......manual boost controller that I have set for 15 psi......i just put an RCJ power plate on when I put the engine back together. Theres probably some other things i've done but can't remember right now. haha. So I think I should be set up to adjust the timing but I need some tips on how to do it properly.

I would say to get a full understanding of the possibilities of adjusting timing would be on a dyno. Make small changes and monitor all the essential vitals for knock, air fuel, fuel pressure, etc. But there's always a caution in making these changes. For your setup the gains imo isn't worth the risk of a couple hp either way. Those chips are usually pretty damn good for the curve Eric uses on his timing maps. Air fuel would be the main thing you should be looking at adjusting to optimize your setup.

Assuming (dangerous word) your current chip is correct for your new engine I would leave the timing alone for now. Based on your post it sounds like you got your new motor up and running but haven't dialed in your tune yet?

Leave Erics chip on the default low and high gear timing. Start adjusting if you don't know what you're doing and you'll be watching my RJC head gasket video. Here's my video on how to adjust fuel/timing with Erics 5.7 chip. The low gear timing I ran would scare most. High gear timing I left on default.

If your running fuel pressure at 50 psi,vacuum line off ,your going to be fat on the fuel. Was your BLMs below 128?If not You need to dial it back to 43.
After it comes up to temp what is your BLMs ? At idle ? Then at nice cruise speed ? 128 + - just like Eric says in his instructions.
You started out saying I just rebuilt my engine. Was it tired or broken?
Did you make many changes to the engine? Turbo and cam the same ? Eric reburned my chip after a got a set of Champion heads all else stayed the same. This is just to reinforce the need for the combination and chip match.