How much to fix a motor with a spun bearing?

BUICKGNX

Hello everyone......I am curious in the cost $$ in repairing a LC2 motor with a spun bearing? How much to fix and what other things to consider. The motor has 133,000 km. Does the motor have to come out or can it be fixed from the bottom. What is involved. Stupid question.....How do you screw up a thing like that.

Thanks

When you spin a bearing many bad things can happen. You may have damaged the crank and/or the cradle/block. Bearing pieces can travel in your oil and contaminate the entire motor. Open up your oil filter and take peek, see if the oil sparkles or has flakes.

No idea what cost would be involved. I'm not an expert, but if my motor spun a bearing, I would tear it down and rebuild the bottom end at the very least and dip/inspect the block, oil pump, and radiator oil cooler to remove contaminants.

Others that have been down this road may have another opinion.

It will have to come out of the car. The engine will have to be completely disassembled and cleaned. I just did the same thing in my 87 Limited. I'll let you know over the course of the next 2-3 weeks how much it will cost.
Good Luck.
Kevin

For what i head it costs as much as a engine rebiult plus if parts are damaged even the block might be damaged.
But it could be your chance to bore .30 since its already down..ha

im not even sure its gonna be worth it man, 133km is just shy of 4 million miles..... thats alot

5 years ago it cost me $4k USD when it was over. Was just a spun bearing @ 90k miles (same as yours). You have to assume that dangerous metal particles have contaminated your oiling system....Radiator & turbo need to be inspected, cleaned and replaced, depending on what you find. Block should be cleaned and machined as needed. You'll want to freshen the bore at least 0.020 and you will probably need a crank, maybe some rods and some pistons too. Should put timing gears in there....Since you are in there, you probably should do the heads.

You could replace the crank and bearings from underneath, but that would leave you open to damage from those metal particles floating in your oiling system....You'd most surely have another failure soon.

You need an engine rebuilder familiar with these engines for an estimate. No excuses, he needs to be well versed with the LC2 engine or he is not qualified. :)

Hello everyone......I am curious in the cost $$ in repairing a LC2 motor with a spun bearing? How much to fix and what other things to consider. The motor has 133,000 km. Does the motor have to come out or can it be fixed from the bottom. What is involved. Stupid question.....How do you screw up a thing like that.

Thanks

Yes, it has to come out. Your crank will need to be cut or replaced. You can get away cheap or spend a lot of money. It just depends how anal you are. :biggrin:

It depends on the extent of the damage....

If it spun a main bearing.... big $$ because it will need a crank and at least a line bore... if the block can be saved. I am about to put mine back together from a spun main and rod....

I can fix my block with a line bore... but I chose to find a N/A 109 engine in the junkyard as the basis for my build....

Like Red Regal T said.... your cost will depend on how well you can/want to scavenge for used parts and how much of it can you do yourself.

I could have just built it back relatively stock for probably $1000.... maybe a little less.... but I would have done alot of it myself.. or with a friends help...

My costs are considerably higher due to all the extras I bought...because I went from a 12 sec combo... to a 10 sec combo...

Paying someone to do it all for you....if you choose to do it......is going to be considerably more expensive...but a great choice if you don't have the experience to do alot of it yourself.... or blackmail a knowledgable turbo Buick friend....;)

Thanks guys......not sure if i should purchase this car. I may go look at it tomorrow. I have pictures of this car but may go tomorrow with my wife. I will keep everyone posted.

Thanks once again. You guys are just like family!

Michael

FWIW... you can often find stock complete ready-to-run engines here for around $1500... and nice long blocks for $1000 or less.... that will get you back up the cheapest and fastest....

The stock longblocks are no slouch... many have pushed them into the 10's with the stock unopened longblocks... with just bolt-ons....

If the $$ are right.... don't be too scared... if everything else is in good working order....

I Decided To Not Purchase this Particular Car. The Car Was A Total Loss After Checking Some Info On It......back In 97 It Was Written Off By Theinsurance And States That It Was A Total Loss.

Thank You All For The Great Help. I Am Still Searching For Theright One.

Michael