How much in & out play on the shaft is acceptable?

GSTOY

Been noticing more and more blue smoke from the tailpipe so I took a look at the turbo this evening. I've got a TE-61 and I'm noticing alot of in and out play on the shaft and I'm wondering it this could be a cause of oil getting past the seals and causing the smoke.

BTW, the engine was rebuilt and has about 2k miles on her and plugs look clean.

Who's rebuilding these that's reputable?

Thanks
Steve

I assume thats a journal turbo number? Isn't it true that BB turbos have play in them already even when there brand new? Bc mine has some small in/out and up/dwn play and if I remember right Otto opened up a brand new BB over the phone and it had play. Something about once the oil is going through it tightens up?

This TE61 has alot more in & out play than the .0015 that Bison mentioned. I honestly don't know if it's a journal turbo or not, I bought this from someone a couple of years ago, but if I compare the amount of play this 61 has vs my old stock turbo, it's considerable.

Spin the comp wheel by hand, if it spins for 2 seconds its a journal bearing, if it spins like the Incredible Hulk playing the Wheel Of Fortune than it's a BB. ;)

Hopefully it's a journal since the rebuilds are cheaper. Btw, PTE does rebuilds.

And if you're thinking of stepping up the turbo talk to them about wheel swaps while they're in there.

Got the turbo off tonight and it definitely has way to much play side to side. Luckly I think I caught it in time before it did any damage. It's a journal bearing for sure. In a way it kinda ticks me off since I bought this rebuilt, and has very little run time on it. I guess live and learn.