how much hp does a 200-4r use to operate

monte379

just curious if anyone knows how much hp a 200-4r eats up. the hp lost to turn/operate transmission compared to other gm tranny's such as 700-4r ,4l60e , t400 , t350 , powerglide. i know a t350 robs more power than a powerglide and a t400 robs more than a t350 but just curious how the overdrive tranny's compare to the older tans. any body have any figures or info ? thanks

just curious if anyone knows how much hp a 200-4r eats up. the hp lost to turn/operate transmission compared to other gm tranny's such as 700-4r ,4l60e , t400 , t350 , powerglide. i know a t350 robs more power than a powerglide and a t400 robs more than a t350 but just curious how the overdrive tranny's compare to the older tans. any body have any figures or info ? thanks

The truth is none of them rob a lot. Maybe 6-7% at most. Most racers crappy converters eat up more than that and cause the engine to spend more time out of the engines peak power range. Not much can be done to drop the trans loss but a lot can be done about the converter. Most weight reduction and other things done to minimize frictional losses in a trans will net little more than hundredths of a sec decrease in e.t. Unless you're racing in a really restricted class and trying to set records your $ are better spent on the converter and other things that will net you big improvements. It's like chasing after cents when you should be going after dollars.

i agree with you and i'm not trying to do anything to change that i am just curious how efficient these od tranns are compared to each other. i love the 200-4r and as i said i'm trying to do anything here just curious

as i said i agree. i am not trying to change anything. i am happy with my 2004r ! i was just curious. i have heard people say that they dont run the od trannies because they eat more power than the turbo's or power glides. as i said i am happy with my 2004r and like having the od for the street. just curious if there is much of a difference. you know the old saying about the turbo 350's take less power than a turbo 400. thus a t350 will be quicker than a t400 just not as strong. just curious how the 2004r compares. as to say 2 exact same cars with the exact same combination , only difference being one with a 2004r the other with a different tranny. witch one wins in a 1/4 mile drag race ?
as i said i am just curious what you all think ? i am not going to change anything. i am happy with what i got. i think the 2004r can hold its own against any other tranny ! thats my opinion , just curious if anyone knows the facts. it would be nice to know some facts so that i can argue with some of the people that razz me for running the 2004r. but not a big deal. just some good old bench racing. just curious of your guys opinions. have a nice day !