TH200-4R Intermittent 2nd Gear starts

jthomas

Hi Guys...came over here from Nastyz28 forum because you all are the experts on the 200-4R.

Two issues I need input on:

1. Sometimes I get an intermittent 2nd gear start. I suspected a pressure issue so I reinstalled the pressure gauge I used when I first set the TV cable up. The O and D pressures at idle are 80 psi with immediate increase when throttle is depressed. TV cable is setup correctly...has geometry correction Tru-Shift system from Bowler Transmissions and TV valve travel confirmed correct when pan was off. So...normally when I stop at a light, the pressure drops to 80 psi, but when I get the second gear starts, I noticed the pressure gets "stuck" between 100-110 psi and when that happens it wont drop till I shift either to neutral and back to overdrive, or I shift to low gear and back to overdrive. Once I do that, pressure goes back to 80 and I can go days or weeks without a second gear start. Its pretty infrequent. It has been there since day one and frequency has not gotten worse. What typically causes this?

2. The transmission downshifts semi-harsh from 3rd to 2nd. Its not really a clunk, but you can certainly tell when it changes gears. Ujoints and rear diff are all solid so no issues there. Its been doing that since I installed it 2 years ago. A few guys have told me that is normal with a performance built transmission, but I wondered if they left the cushion spring out of the servo when it was built. From what I have read though, if that was the case it would be much harsher than it is. It has the heavy duty servo...looks to be a billet one. I don't know the brand. I was going to pull the servo and look, but I don't have enough room due to the tunnel and really don't feel its enough of an issue to warrant dropping the tranny. Plus, I'm no transmission expert so I am going to leave it alone. Is it actually the servo that causes the downshift or some other component? Is a semi-harsh downshift common on these?

Thanks for taking the time to read and reply.

Background in case you need more information; I bought the transmission form another NastyZ member who had it in a 73 Camaro behind a 595 HP 383 stroker. It had 3000 miles on the build. He sold it to switch to a Tremec. It now lives behind my 360 hp SBC. I am using a Precision Industries lockup converter. I had the converter rebuilt, reflashed to 2500-2600 and lock up clutch replaced. I have put over 5000 miles on the system since I bought it and it works great with minor exceptions noted above. The parts list shows the same parts you would see from a stage 3 build from Extreme Transmissions. Upshifts are firm and tight, no slippage, fluid and filter changes have revealed all is well, nice and red, no burnt smells. I run Amsoil ATF as did the previous owner.

In my case with intermittent 2nd gears starts it was related to minimum psi threshold not being met. Look at your TV stack up, I believe there was a revision that added an additional return spring to push the tv back to the resting position. I forgot to put the larger spring in. Once I had the larger spring and the "pen" spring in place, I was able to get consistent first gear starts.

Thanks VIN7...that is a nice write up on Throttle Valve positioning with part numbers and everything! I thought I set the throttle valve correctly by checking the travel while the pan was off , making sure the distance between idle position to WOT was right, but I see that does not guarantee the valve is centered in the correct position. Good stuff. I'm still a bit puzzled though that this is intermittent and infrequent..maybe an existing spring is weak. I've tried tweaking the TV cable length by pulling the plunger in and out 1 click to see if it changes, but no change...still an intermittent 2nd gear start. Didn't want to go any further than a click or two since that isn't the right way to resolve this. Looks like it may be time to pull pan off again and take another look.

Am I correct that the 3-2 downshift is probably caused by another issue, or could that be related too?

3-2 could be related to the cushion spring in the servo, or perhaps they used a spacer instead of a spring in the accumulator. I have CK's servo, cushion spring is in place and the spring is in the accumulator. You can feel the 3-2 downshift but I wouldn't describe it as harsh.

3-2 could be related to the cushion spring in the servo, or perhaps they used a spacer instead of a spring in the accumulator. I have CK's servo, cushion spring is in place and the spring is in the accumulator. You can feel the 3-2 downshift but I wouldn't describe it as harsh.

Thanks Mike!