How many WE4 with T tops from factory made

I have always read WE4 didnt come with T Tops ,but
Guy selling says this T TOPS WAS DONE FROM FACTORY
Buick : Grand National | eBay

I beleive you could request it to be done!! Noone really knows if it was done factory or not.. Unless you can provide a build sheet! Alotta people slapp em in after the fact... Never did know why!!

EDIT- Oh yeah Great avatar pic there.. I hope its someone you know

I have a WE4 with t tops. I believe the option for it on the trunk sticker is CC1 for Roof hatch, removable glass panels. There are some out there that are dealer installs though but wouldnt have the code on the trunk.

Couldnt put my finger on it at first, but does that car have 84/85 rims?

The we4 is just a turbo regal, with a paint option, there would be no reason not to offer the t-roof,manufacturers usually only did that on higher hp versions, or special factory cars set up for handling.Stranger things have happened tho.
But that window sticker shows the cc1 hatch roof option,from the factory,its the 4th option down on the sticker,kind of hard to read.
This one is easier to read + also shows it as a factory option.
Buick : Grand National | eBay

I have a WE4 with t tops. I believe the option for it on the trunk sticker is CC1 for Roof hatch, removable glass panels. There are some out there that are dealer installs though but wouldnt have the code on the trunk.
Sweet!!
Couldnt put my finger on it at first, but does that car have 84/85 rims?
yes it has 84/85 Rims
I beleive you could request it to be done!! Noone really knows if it was done factory or not.. Unless you can provide a build sheet! Alotta people slapp em in after the fact... Never did know why!!

EDIT- Oh yeah Great avatar pic there.. I hope its someone you know
It's alot more here in MD !! lol It's the crab cakes :D

I agree where do people come up with the idea a WE4 could not be had with T Tops....as it has been pointed out virtually any option was available on a WE4..member the game plan at Buick was to make more money more options more money....however....

In the initial advertisements from Buick concerning the WE4 model....the game plan was to have it light weight so more production could be accomplished with the Grand National.

On other other side of the other side of the coin GM did stick to a pretty strict policy when they built the 1999 and 2000 fixed roof C5 Corvettes. They kept choices pretty limited and indeed produced the lightest Corvette model in 1999 and 2000 which became the for runner for the 2001 ZO6.

So, if you want the best of both worlds seek out a low optioned solid roof WE4. That would be a desireable and recognized Turbo Regal to own. Less wight translates into quicker acceleration all other ingredients being equal.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

yes I have owned a number of WE4s.....

I agree where do people come up with the idea a WE4 could not be had with T Tops....as it has been pointed out virtually any option was available on a WE4..member the game plan at Buick was to make more money more options more money....however....

In the initial advertisements from Buick concerning the WE4 model....the game plan was to have it light weight so more production could be accomplished with the Grand National.

On other other side of the other side of the coin GM did stick to a pretty strict policy when they built the 1999 and 2000 fixed roof C5 Corvettes. They kept choices pretty limited and indeed produced the lightest Corvette model in 1999 and 2000 which became the for runner for the 2001 ZO6.

So, if you want the best of both worlds seek out a low optioned solid roof WE4. That would be a desireable and recognized Turbo Regal to own. Less wight translates into quicker acceleration all other ingredients being equal.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

yes I have owned a number of WE4s.....

Weightwise was it any lighter then an equally optioned t-type ?
They said the we4 was lighter then the gn,because of the wheels,+ aluminum bumper supports ,which all t-types have, or is there something else that the we4 has that would make them lighter then any other t-type ?

Weightwise was it any lighter then an equally optioned t-type ?
They said the we4 was lighter then the gn,because of the wheels,+ aluminum bumper supports ,which all t-types have, or is there something else that the we4 has that would make them lighter then any other t-type ?

The WE4 didn't have the header ornament or the "REGAL" quarter panel emblems.
That would make it a few ounces lighter..................

You couldn't get floor mats, and I don't think you could get power seats.

"Believe It or Not"
I had always assumed power seats added a lot of weight to a car.
However I remember a board member weighed a power seat
& a standard seat and they were nearly equal in weight!

"Believe It or Not"
I had always assumed power seats added a lot of weight to a car.
However I remember a board member weighed a power seat
& a standard seat and they were nearly equal in weight!

seats are the same.. Its just the power tracks weigh a little more. Some people look to take weight out.. 10/15#s is a lot to some.

anyone know how many 87 gn's were built without t-tops , and without power seats , or power windows , and no cruise control . the only luxury this one has is air conditioning . i didn't know they even made a stripped down version of this car , until i found this car .i was just curious , to find out . i had a 70camaroSSRS L78 and there were only 400 of those built , according to the camaro books available . i havn't been able to find the production figures on the buicks . does anyone know?

In looking over this thread here are some answers.....

On how many where made with what options no records exist that I am aware of concerning how many got T-tops or no T-Tops same about seats and windows. Whether it be Grand National T-Types or Turbo-Ts.

Basically all options available n any of the other Turbo regal was available on the limited production WE4 models...however the game plan as far as Buick was concerned was to meet the fuel requirements pushing the fact they were lighter than the more profitable GNs so based on that assumption you do find many WE4s that do not have many options.

As far as the car shown on ebay the WE4 quick observations wheels are 1984-1985 style the pinstriping if its tape buyer needs to look hard and long at it to make sure it is not hiding paint lines.

Body side molding appears to be the riveted style which would be dealer installed not factory. End result is you have holes down the sides of the car assuming it is the riveted style which it appears to be. May not be a re al concern unless buyer plans on repainting the car for whatever reason.

Their will always be those owners that seek well optioned examples and owners who seek lwo optioned cars...end result is both versions would be rare as finding one with every option is darn near impossible.

What is rare is a low optioned GN meaning no power windows or locks and no tilt column no cruise, no tint windows no rear defogger and being a radio delete car.

Many buyers back when thee cars were new lacked the knowledge to order something that in years to come would be rare.....(no internet back then). Today knowledge comes fast making it easier for potential buyers.

The WE4 is a very desireable model since it is fairly well recognized among collectors....I have owned a few...only down side besides poor GM paint is unless the interiors are taken care of they fade quickly and wear quickly.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

We4's

I love we4's...bought mine in '97 not even knowing about it!!! it has 4,960 orginal miles, all car shows and mostly stock except.... items from QE from '88 gauges,gnx emblem,shift kit,chip,rear susp. and chromed t rims(thanks tim from south bend). :biggrin: