How many are left?.

3-5.0

As most know,around 30k were made for the 86-87 and the others I don't know...but I was wondering if there is a formula for how many cars (any given car) that get taken off the road after a certain time frame in service-you know completely lost. Burned,rotted,crashed etc.

Some get rebuilt,some get pieced back together out of Franken cars,and of course because the car was a limited edition they would have been taken care of a little more,but then again who knows.

Any guesses?. 25% gone? 50%?

I keep seeing that youtube video of one that is sinking into the ground and rotting but apparently the people refuse to sell.

That would be really tough to guess. Of course, a standard formula wouldn't apply since these cars are treated a little differently than other cars from the same era. More of them are held in the hands of people that genuinely care about keeping them nice and collectible. A lot of them have been lost to chop shops for desirable parts, but I believe a much smaller quantity have bitten the dust due to neglect and "wearing out" when compared to other cars in the 80's.

If I had to guess I would think that after 25 years, more than half are gone. I wonder how many clones are out there too?

Peter

Hmmm wow,2 votes for 50%. I wouldn't have guessed that high but I have no friggin idea thats why I was wondering if there was some sort of ins. stat formula or something,then kinda apply that with different variables in mind. Obviously as a collector they are sought after,stored,restored and kept in garages...but! alot have been beaten,crashed,and more than a few suffered rust big time.

They weren't as babied 20yrs ago as now. I looked at one in the mid 90's and the 1/4's were already going,was that car ever saved? I don't know but I've seen a few drive trains for sale over the years. Just thinkin out loud here. I also used to see them driven in every day situations and even parked on the street. Not anymore,the only time I see one is at a cruise night.

As most know,around 30k were made for the 86-87 and the others I don't know...but I was wondering if there is a formula for how many cars (any given car) that get taken off the road after a certain time frame in service-you know completely lost. Burned,rotted,crashed etc.

Some get rebuilt,some get pieced back together out of Franken cars,and of course because the car was a limited edition they would have been taken care of a little more,but then again who knows.

Any guesses?. 25% gone? 50%?

I keep seeing that youtube video of one that is sinking into the ground and rotting but apparently the people refuse to sell.

I think 50% is kind of high. According to Steven Dove's book 'The Buick Power Pac - Performance and Restoration Tips,' there were 27,592 total Regal Turbos for the 1987 model year. Of that number, 20,193 were Grand Nationals (WE2), so considering those numbers, coupled with the fact that these cars have really only come to be truly appreciated within say, the last 10 years, then yes, my guess would be that there are less than 50% remaining.

The good thing is that for those of us that have one, the value and collectibility will only continue to grow. Add in pop culture movies like the Fast and Furious that feature these cars, and a whole new generation starts to ask what car is that and where can I get one.

So, even when I replace parts as needed I keep the originals as many OEM GM parts have been discontinued. I have mine and plan to hang on to it as long as possible. People that know muscle cars KNOW about the GN.

I am fairly certain insurance companeis have some sort of formula to compute numbers of cars for any particular style model etc that are still left after a given number of years.

Having probably sold more 1986-1987 Turbo regals than anyone else during the 1990s (just over 315) the numbers are dwindling]
old age is not kind to cars and people....

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Astro Roof too. What a shame. Someone should just go take it.

*I do not condone theft.;)

*I do not condone theft.

I was watching a car movie called "love the beast" and Dr Phil(yeah I know) had some interesting things to say about people and their cars that are basically hoarded. Sentimental value,memories of a lost one,comfort of it being there etc.

Hopefully someone who works for an insurance company will see this thread and look it up.

25 years is a long time. I think 40-50% gone is reasonable.

I know there is a registry already but I wish there/it was one where every car left was in it. No exceptions-every VIN accounted for. So if somebody was buying a car it would be "hey thats jims car etc" or sorry pieced together base Regal. Anybody stealing these cars for parts-make it a real gamble for them.Car f*x etc are a guideline. Iknow it probably can't be done but it would be nice and make the cars even more valuable...maybe.

I figure at least 10 % loss can be accounted for the vultures who piece out good cars. I tried to buy a solid roller from a place in Maryland back in 06 and the guys response was "I make more money parting them out". But in reality these guys might make more money then, but the more of these cars on the road the more money they have coming in over the years....
This trend has slowed down but it was bad for a while....but when its gone its gone.

*I do not condone theft.;)

That would be a parts car for sure. The floors are probably gone along with the frame. Thats to bad. The best part is the guy probably thinks hes going to get big money for it.LOL. I will give $2500 and not a dime more for it. As for how many are left. I say 30 to 40 % There is guys on here that have parted 10% of them combined. It sucks but they are worth more in parts.

... It sucks but they are worth more in parts.

It's true of a lot of cars. My buddy parted out a totally solid 95 Impala SS, kept the frame and drivetrain, and still got way more out of it then he would have selling it as a whole car. It's the same with TR's, unfortunately.

heres a way to get a close estimate how many people on turbobuick and turbobuicks have gns that should give you a aprox of how many are left im gonna put money on 50 % max left and maybe 35 % running perfect with no issues thats a good 15 maybe even 20% either bieng restored or just with blow engines and them how many of the left over gns actualy have a 3.8 109 block and how many have say stage motors or v8 swaps