How freely should the turbo spin by hand?

tlap

I have searched but can't seem to find this answer.
I have an '86 GN with only 43,000 miles.
With the inlet tube off of the the turbo how hard should it be to spin the turbo's impellers?
Is there a speck for the allowable amount of prevailing torque?
I ask this because it seems to me that the feel is just a bit tight. I can only reach the nut with my pointer and middle finger, but it seems like the impeller just does not turn very easily.
There is no end or side play in the shaft and no grinding feeling when Its rotated either.

It should spin very freely, I would almost say you should be able to spin it by blowing on it.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I don't know if I can blow on it and move it but he's right it should move very easy with your finger with no drag.

KS

Stock uses a carbon seal and has more drag than a dynamic thrust setup when the turbo is fresh. I can tell the difference between a carbon seal setup and dynamic setup by feeling it. Most probably wouldnt be able to tell though. Once they have miles on them they get pretty loose. You cant easily clean the turbo without taking it apart and i dont rec that unless you are familiar with what you are doing and have access to a bead blast cabinet.