Turbo Impeller Nut Fell Off????

mrbuyit

Tonight on the way home from a car show, I got into the boost a little bit. The car backfired massively and the turbo started to sound like a siren. Not like the usual whistle, but more of a whhhooooooo. I got home, in the garage I opened the hood and reved the engine a bit. Heard a strange noise from the turbo, like a rattle. I removed the large hose between the turbo inlet and the MAF sensor. A little weird looking brass nut fell out. Looks like it goes on the end of the impeller. Grabbed pliars, impeller moved in and out and bck and forth. What happened? How did the nut fall off? Do I need a new turbo? Their are some fins on the wheel damaged. The car is an 87 GN, with 40k on it. If i do need a turbo, where should I get it?

Yep. You need a turbo my friend.

And on a side note, look at all the fins in there and try to account for any missing pieces. The last thing you want to spend the change for a turbo just to have a small piece make it through the intercooler and into the engine.

The stock turbine uses a right thread and is very prone to loosening during a backfire even if the nut is properly torqued. The turbo will need to be replaced. Let me know if you're interested. I offer some nice stock turbos (or upgrades) with billet backplates and 360* dynamic thrust. Thread locker is commonly used on the shaft nut to prevent this type of failure.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I have had 2 loosen up on me as well. 1 was on a freshly rebuilt turbo from g pop and it killed the turbo. the other was a stock 1 with 64,000 miles that fell off when I turned up the boost shortly after getting the car.

flush the intercooler to get the metal out too, lots of good upgrades out there give us a call if you need some help picking one out
Mike

Yep. You need a turbo my friend.

And on a side note, look at all the fins in there and try to account for any missing pieces. The last thing you want to spend the change for a turbo just to have a small piece make it through the intercooler and into the engine.

Thanks for the tip. i will make sure that I check it. A few people mentioned this.

The stock turbine uses a right thread and is very prone to loosening during a backfire even if the nut is properly torqued. The turbo will need to be replaced. Let me know if you're interested. I offer some nice stock turbos (or upgrades) with billet backplates and 360* dynamic thrust. Thread locker is commonly used on the shaft nut to prevent this type of failure.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

A real tragedy. It only has 40K on it. I iwll contact you. Thanks

I have had 2 loosen up on me as well. 1 was on a freshly rebuilt turbo from g pop and it killed the turbo. the other was a stock 1 with 64,000 miles that fell off when I turned up the boost shortly after getting the car.

I just cranked the boost up recently to 25#. Added alchohol kit, 42# injectors, walboro, hot wire, MAF, adjustable boost and wasegate, 3" down-pipe, tin man, and alchy chip about 2 months ago. The ignition module under the coil pack went out last week. Caused the car to back fire several times. Maybe all that contributed.