Taking a Stock Engine with Stock Turbo to the limit....

Just tried to put the sensor as high as possible so it can't sit in a pool of alky. They won't last as long if you sit them at a low point and even now might only get a couple years or so use before it goes.

Only thing he posted was a 26" tall slick. With growth could be close to 27". I'm on 28" drag radials with minimal growth.

As far as my current gearing, the guess was maybe since my car was lighter I can still get it out of the hole good on the 28"s and 3.23s and the tall gearing would help the whole run keeping the rpms way below 5000. I think it worked out pretty good. So would different gearing help me get out the hole better and give me a better ET even if the mph drops some? Or would a tighter converter work better? The only drawback with a tight converter or lockup converter could be that the load in 3rd with the 28"s and 3.23s could start to get too much and bog it down. I could switch to 27" tall tires and see what happens. Even 26" tires. Might have to try some different things.....

With the 200 trans, D5 locked, 275/60/15 MT ET Streets, I cross the 1/4 mile around 4950-4980 RPM's. Mph is around 111-113. That's at 3750 lbs. Passes were on Stock Turbo and Intercooler.
Hope it's cooler than 95 degrees this year in Bowling Green.

My guess is the pre-turbo nozzle will help, but the alky will start to erode the compressor. Looking forward to result.
Are you looking for a TE-44 to test after you get done with the stock turbo? I have one I will provide for the test. I would eventually want it back just for the garret housing. Will provide and ship for no charge.

Thanks for the offer! No idea what I want to do next, but my guess is that after a turbo upgrade things like plenum, throttle body, cam, heads, etc will make a difference. Some more than others. So maybe a turbo upgrade and then maybe try some different things.

Should be getting back to the track soon. Its been hot and I just don't like going in the heat too much. This week would be good since its cooling down but I'll be on vacation until after Labor Day.

PS Someone else may be joining the stock turbo party soon too.... I'm expecting 11.5-11.6 range should be within reason for him this year.

Thanks for the offer! No idea what I want to do next, but my guess is that after a turbo upgrade things like plenum, throttle body, cam, heads, etc will make a difference. Some more than others. So maybe a turbo upgrade and then maybe try some different things.

Should be getting back to the track soon. Its been hot and I just don't like going in the heat too much. This week would be good since its cooling down but I'll be on vacation until after Labor Day.

PS Someone else may be joining the stock turbo party soon too.... I'm expecting 11.5-11.6 range should be within reason for him this year.
Seems like a good time to try Bison's alky plate ?

At Etown tonight, right lane....

IMG_8250.JPG

IMG_8251.JPG

after doing murphs motor and getting it into the car i did one for my 86 so we could play around at the track
last night was first time in a while we have been able to get to the track and was pretty much what i expected
broke into 11s on fist pass (11.9 112.5 @19psi) ..murph took pic of my second slip ( right lane)
single nozzle meth inj and 93
109 block and 8445 heads from an 86Granprix 2bbl, old turbo pistons rods crank std /std , new rings
no mods to stock heads except for cleaning crud from valves and 980 springs , stock turbo and inlet bell no porting ,
rest of combo is similar to what i did to murphster car as the 86 was running mid 9s
th400rmvb ptc9.5 18, xfi2.05 tr6, msbc-1, 3.23 8.5 spool , mt275pro trz rear sway, dbl adjust strange rear shock ,wolfe dbbl adjust lca, baseline adjustable upper ic relocate , fuel cell walbro 255lph external, v1 fmic," maf tube , roll bar , kirkeys

Attachments

• IMG_8258.JPG
    IMG_8258.JPG
    950 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
Thanks guys! I was very surprised when I saw the first slip. I was thinking no way, I actually spun on the launch and its hard to tell how good of a pass it was. Its so quiet and the rpms are so low lol. This was something that was the ultimate goal though and its nice to see the results. We had thought it could all work out but thinking and doing are two different things....

I had been waiting for some decent weather as its been hot and/or muggy until recently. Weather was high 60s I'd say when I ran last night. Only thing I changed from last time out was a new alternator, the 3rd alky injector pre-turbo and I removed the headlight to see about getting some fresh air to my air filter. The temps coming out of the turbo are so hot I wanted to do anything I could to lower the temps coming in to the turbo. Since it was a little cooler out then when I ran last time its hard to say if any of it made any difference compared to that. Backpressure remained the same but the air coming out of the turbo measured 40 degrees cooler. Was it from the better weather, cold air setup, pre-turbo nozzle? My guess is most of the gains are from the better weather and the gains from cold air and pre-turbo nozzle s are minimal... but every little bit counts.

What is left to do? Well, colder weather should definitely help. I've added a little timing since I first ran and leaned it out a little... maybe more tweaking there can help. If I can get the 60ft down more that will obviously help the ET. I need a really good prepped track to hit it harder.... I would love a 1.4 60ft.

One thing I noticed looking at my latest timeslip compared to my second pass back in May in similar weather when I went 11.46 is that the 1/8 mph is only a little better. I'm less than a mph faster now than in May in the 1/8th but almost 4mph faster at the end of the 1/4. So my main gains have been at the top of the track. Is that from the A/f or timing adjustments? So there might be more left in the tune if I can figure that out.

And I can't believe this 9.5" converter works as well as it does. Same PTC nonlock I ran low 9s on I'm running on completely stock stuff. Its all purpose lol. I'm getting only 6-7% slip. I'm sure there are some gains to be had from a converter designed for this combo but mine is doing pretty good. I'm now dropping to 4400 on the shifts, a tighter converter dropping to 4000 on the shifts should give me more torque. I don't have any data on the difference to know how much I'm giving up though. I'm sure a locked D5 drops down pretty low....

Murph, I was bracket racing 2 weeks ago. Between rounds 4 and 5 the humidity dropped 15 percent. The car picked up 1.7 tenths. Air is everything. Once again...congrats!

Here is the log from the 11.29 run. RPMs blue, boost is green:

IMG_8260.JPG

I was running a little over 22psi boost up top. Backpressure ratio is 2.2:1 usong Turbo psi as ref (pre intercooler). Intercooler and piping only drops only 1psi to the plenum.

The next pic shows the launch for that run. Orange is the transbrake flag, goes from 1 to 0 when I let off. You can see by the numbers how hard I had to leave just for a 1.53 60ft.

IMG_8261.JPG

Please forgive what may be a dumb question.

What is EGT #7 & EGT #8 showing?

Is that actually the ex temp on cyl #7 & #8?

Thanks.

thats inlet and outlet of the cotton FMIC 1-6 are in the headers the fast egt module has 8 ports so the last two went for ic temps