How fast is your Hot Air...with what mods??

Well only got out once this year stock engine ta 33 homade front mount 42.5 inj and a chip . 13.64 @ 97.5 .had no traction couldn't get my 60ft's better than 2.0 . Developed a good manifold leak and couldn't hold more than 16 psi and timing in 3rd showed 14.9 on the powerlogger .
Pretty sure with the leak fixed and some more timing in 3rd I could pull a 12.9 around 101 but I'll never know until next year .

I ran a 13.72 with a 2.2 60'. Stock turbo and injectors, 86/87 ECM, 86/87 Coil Pack and Module, TT chip, 2.5" up-pipe, 3" exhaust, , LT1 MAF and Translator, running 19# of boost.

How fast is my Hot air

Here is a question that has been posed over and over and over countless times on this board. And just like everytime before you will get replys all around the answer but never the answer you inquired about. To date and to the best of my knowledge there have only been 2 true hot airs make it into the 10's one with a stage motor (Lee Thompson) and one on a stock block (Jamie aka turbo6x2). There are or have been quite a few that have made it into the 11's and even more into the 12's. Again I'm talking about true hot air trim no intercooler. The only person that still frequents this board that is in the 11's is Brent (boost231).

Some have spent big dollars and some have spent hardly anything. There is one cardinal rule in racing and that is that more speed, more money, at least theoretically. But it's not exactly how much money you spend, its where you put the money you spend. Many on this board like throwing signatures around, doing tons of research and talking about the capabilty of whatever a combo should do. But very few can tell you what you need and desire to know. And the reason is because of another rule in racing.......dyno's don't run the quarter. Combo's don't run the quarter and data logs damn sure don't run the quarter.

So with all that said the only ones that can answer your questions are the people who do the real R&D. The ones that actually run their combo's. So without further ado here are my answers. In terms of cost with the exception of any machine work all labor was done by myself.

Question (1). The fastest time I have run to date is 12.10@115 I didn't have good rubber and my car makes tremendous torque so my 60ft times suck. But I assure you that trap speed is 11.6-11.8 capable. I run 12.2xx's all day long on 20psi.

Question (2) Fast for me really depends on your combo. If you have a bone stock hot air and run low 13's all day I'll say that's quick. But at the same time if you got 4-5 g's worth of speed parts on your car and only running 13's your slow as crap because your not maximizing what you've got.
So speed is relative to what you've gotten invested in your combo.

Question (3) Is a matter of opinion expensive to me is not expensive to someone else. I personally like to make horsepower on the cheap so i buy used parts when I can to cut the cost and learn how to do alot of work on my own to save labor costs.

Ok enough rambling here is my combo and expenses.

TA62 turbo- 750.00 bought new from a member on this board and paid 25.00 to modify the outlet.
ATR header passenger side- 175.00 used
Crane cam 218-224 - 40.00 ebay new
Lifters- 40.00 new
Venolia forged pistons- 280.00 new
Ported Iron heads- 500.00 used
Ported throttle body- 125.00 new
57 lb injectors- 150.00 used
Corvette Maf sensor- 50.00 ebay
Maf translator Gen II- 260.00 (I think) full throttle
Do it yourself alky kit- 150.00
Pro Torque 3000 stall converter- 300.00 used and got checked out for free
Lee Thompson 3" downpipe- 300.00 ebay new
38mm Deltagate 150.00- ebay new

There is probably another 5-600.00 dollars in there on other stuff like elect fans, 87 ecm and chip, oil / trans coolers and etc. But as you can see not much in terms of dollars at all.

Hope I answered some of your questions and cleared up the misconception that it takes alot to make a hot air run. Yeah it does take alot, alot of time at the track to max out your combo. I think I am capable of running at least 11.20's and I'm not going to add another part to my combo until I get to 11.50's consistantly.
I really wished I had talked to you before running into these other GN guys(including the person I purchased my car from) to get some sound information regarding my HA car.If my car ran 13's I'd be one happy person and I'm trying to get back on my '85 now that I got another job.

Got out yesterday and ran 13.20@99.1 , 17 psi still unopened engine . With a better launch and a bit more boost I know I could see 12's on pump and a stock heads and intake .Running meth injection next week so hope I can post some respectable numbers then .

1.72 only left at 4 psi. I've launched the car at 7psi and cut a 1.61 with a diff engine. 18-19 psi would get me a 12.99 with a better 60.

Was this on slicks or Drag radials? If you are running meth next week, I might not change anything but work on better launches/60ft. You might find .2 with meth and launching at 7lbs.

.2 tents ? I'm planning on running 23-24 psi on meth hope it's faster than 13.0 . Mt drag radials at 20 pounds .

You should be able to crack 12's without meth. 13.20's @17lbs is on target. 20lbs should get you in 12's. On race gas, 22-24lbs should get you lower. If you can get 12's on gas, meth will take you lower into 12's. I would add 1lbs of boost at a time and improve my launching. If you set your fuel pressure at 42-43lbs, 20lbs of boost would require 63lbs at boost. Monitor fuel and knock. Take notes and highlight things that work to getting your car faster.

BTW, GREAT work!

I've got my powerlogger hooked up to my wideband 02 and a map sensor so I can see what the car us doing.
Thanks for the compliment.

Last edited:
I've got my powerlogger hooked up to my wideband 02 and a map sensor so I can see what the car us doing.
Thanks for the compliment.
I received your email and sent an answer but they said turbo buick would not accept it. Anyway here goes 109 block bored to 3.845, c/p pistons, forged rods, 212/218 roller cam, 1.65 t/d roller rockers, T63 turbo mounted on a Intake with the dividers removed and flowed, 62 mm throttle body, ported irons, custom 3" d/p, custom made headers and up pipe, z06 maf, 60 lb. inj, t/a frt cover, tt alky chip, alky inj from Razor, Lee Thompson trans, Art Carr n/l/u conv, 9.17 to 1 compression (block decked .020), wide band, p/l, scanmaster, gauges, umi rear upper & lower rr control arms (adjustable), HR Parts rr bar, 275x60 M/T drag radials, Original owner, Turbo currently being rebuilt by prec turbo. The car has run 11.19 @120+ 7.08 @ 97+. Havent run since I got the intake gutted. I'll let you know after I get the turbo back what it does. This car is a hoot to drive and runs better than any muscle car I owned back in the 60's. Click on the motor in my signature that what it looks like. John

Hey John, did you figure out your problem? Was it the turbo? Is Precision rebuilding or modding the turbo? Hopefully this will get you that long awaited 10 sec time slip. Keep at it Buddy ;)

Hey John, did you figure out your problem? Was it the turbo? Is Precision rebuilding or modding the turbo? Hopefully this will get you that long awaited 10 sec time slip. Keep at it Buddy ;)
Hi Chuck I had a couple of spark plug tips go through my turbo & tear up the exaust fins I am currently waiting for Prec Turbo to tell me what they can do to get me a few more ponies (different wheel etc) My turbo had been on the car for probably 8 years. Nice to hear from you. John

Too much money... street raced it 98% of the time

Hot-air was running 14's to 16's in Colorado's thin air... could never get it to go beyond the gremlins that would creep up every time I took it to the track. Consistently beat strong 13 second cars on the street at the local street races.

I ran the bottle... on a TA-33 it works exceptionally well.

The car is no longer "Hot-air" and runs a Jack cotton front mount intercooler. I am very easy on it now and no longer boost it up beyond 23lbs... :) It surely has a low in it if I was willing to beat on it at the line. I leave the lights at "idle" and consistently run high 13's and trap 108 to 110 mph (off the bottle). This is Colorado... and the thin air has an impact on the timeslip ET.

I have way too much money in the car... and will never part with it... unless you are offering me what it is worth :) (Factory moonroof... the rarest of group... and surely the most optioned "Hot-Air" car on the board)
Did you change the intake in order for the intercooler to work?

Did you change the intake in order for the intercooler to work?
I believe Louie is in 86-87 configuration now. Louie has had the V2 setup, the modded Hot Air intake and Spearco.
Louie has been around since the beginning. Louis has lived in Colorado and his heavily optioned GN has seen it all: NOS, gutted intake, intercoolers, downpipes and etc.

I believe Louie is in 86-87 configuration now. Louie has had the V2 setup, the modded Hot Air intake and Spearco.
Louie has been around since the beginning. Louis has lived in Colorado and his heavily optioned GN has seen it all: NOS, gutted intake, intercoolers, downpipes and etc.

12.6 AT 106 IN THE QUARTER.