How do you fix turbo lag?

kels87gn

I've got mostly stock 87 GN and love it. The only thing that drives me crazy is the turbo lag and the fact that so many people talk about burning the tires off when it hits second. In the past my dad had a couple gn's that would do just that. What needs to be done to get faster spool up and fix that slight delay on takeoff. I might not be too clear in this but I hope someone has an idea about what I'm referring to.

Has the trans had the torque converter replaced? Do you have a larger turbo?

Check for vacuum leaks exhaust leaks,fuel in first gear, do all that also you could add a rjc manual boost controller to help spoolup. Its like $55 cheap. How much boost do you get when you boost brake it? Maybe the converter might have been changed before you got it and is not the right stall for the stock turbo.. It should stall around 2000/2200 if it stock

That's a real nice clean close to stock Gn.. and if it has 14k miles like in your sig I wouldn't mess with it, its gonna be worth far more money some day if you leave it as is.. just my 2 cents.

That's a real nice clean close to stock Gn.. and if it has 14k miles like in your sig I wouldn't mess with it, its gonna be worth far more money some day if you leave it as is.. just my 2 cents.
That right there is some good advise^^^^^^^

Possible clogged/broken catalytic converter, and pre turbo exhaust leaks. Be sure the factory wastegate hoses are properly connected. Do not use any aftermarket type boost controllers to attempt to increase spoolup. The factory setup works very well for a stock car and is much safer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got mostly stock 87 GN and love it. The only thing that drives me crazy is the turbo lag and the fact that so many people talk about burning the tires off when it hits second. In the past my dad had a couple gn's that would do just that. What needs to be done to get faster spool up and fix that slight delay on takeoff. I might not be too clear in this but I hope someone has an idea about what I'm referring to.

With what you have and if everything is working correctly in stock configuration .. it should have NO LAG and practically burn the tires at will....

just like what was mentioned above .. check all the vacuum lines.. check preturbo leaks.. check for proper orientation on the wastegate lines .. I also suggest the stock wastegate lines ( with the restrictor still in place .. the CORRECT ONE ! ) and a proper tune the car should be very responsive.

I'll check for leaks and lean conditions. I'd like to find someone trustworthy in Atlanta Ga area to help with some of the work. Maybe a little more knowledgeable. I've added TT chip,Hotwire kit,adj fpr,test pipe,tin man cai,suspension upgrades and an RJC boost controller. Oh yeah a scan master,boost and temp gauge. Long term goal is injectors and Alky kit possibly and then leave it alone but I've got to have something adjusted for sure. I'm handy but not as knowledgeable as most guys with these cars. Im cautious with it since no one local to work on it if I break it.

Wastegate opening too soon, sticking?

Scanmaster...Post the readings.
What part of Atlanta?

I agree....too low of miles for me to mess with it. That thing looks clean and I agree with the other couple members that posted, don't mess with it. It will be worth far more. Good looking car though.

Are you just flooring it from idle? Is it a positive traction rear? Basically when stock, even if everything else is right, boost will not start to build until around 2,000 rpm. If leaving from an idle the car is already moving before boost can build enough to break traction. If the car has an open rear then it only has to make enough power to overcome traction on the one wheel. If a posi then it has to overcome traction on both wheels making it harder to spin.
Loading the converter will make a world of difference. Hold the brake with your left foot, give it a little gas with the right, it doesn't take much, just enough that the car tries to pull good against the brake. Release the brake and floor the gas at the same time and enjoy the smoke. If the car does not hit second as hard as it should the TV cable could need adjusting but you need to take it to someone who knows what he is doing. A click or two tighter and it may break 'em loose on the shift but too tight and you won't get WOT and it may cause trans damage..

If the car has an open rear then it only has to make enough power to overcome traction on the one wheel. If a posi then it has to overcome traction on both wheels making it harder to spin.
Sorry for going off topic, but to clarify even with an open rear both tires will bite if both have equal traction. If you can maintain equal traction to both tires an open rear will hook like a posi.

Last edited:

No doubt about, these cars are really cool, freak of nature. However just speaking for me, I don't give a rats ass about what it's worth. My car is coming up on 13k miles. Three years ago took a bone stock car and spent 25k on it. Now it's cooler. Do what you want to your car, the future will take care of itself

No doubt about, these cars are really cool, freak of nature. However just speaking for me, I don't give a rats ass about what it's worth. My car is coming up on 13k miles. Three years ago took a bone stock car and spent 25k on it. Now it's cooler. Do what you want to your car, the future will take care of itself
Just trying to give a little future insight....years ago I took a $20k car put 25k into it and whats it worth=20k....so I agree to each his own but I didn't have anyone to tell me back then..;)