How do you do a THOROUGH tranny fluid flush?

d0n_3d

Boost is good.
I want to get ALL the tranny fluid out of my trans and converter...is that even possible? I know dropping the pan only drains about 4-5 quarts...but how do I get the rest out? I have tranny lines going to my front mount tranny cooler if that helps. What is the maximum fluid capacity of a stock tranny anyways?

Impossible

But you can get most of the fluid out.

Drain oil, remove pan, install new filter, replace pan, pour in 7 quarts, remove trannie line from the cooler that is connected to the bottom trannie line--the return--and put a something that will hold approximately 2 quarts, start car when container is near full cut engine off, re-attach line, start car, check trannie oil level.

That will get most of the oil out.

Also, search the board several other "tecniques" have been posted--some I would not do so use common sense.

Not to complicate things.........

Are you wanting to remove and not replace the fluid, or are you trying to get the old out/new in, 100%?

If you're just trying to do a 100% flush, maybe a local shop has a "TransTech" machine. We have one and use it a lot, does a great job. It tees into the cooler supply/return lines, and pumps new fluid in and drains the old. Might be worth a few local phone calls.

HTH,
Scott

TEN THUMBS-UP!

Originally posted by Carman83ss454

If you're just trying to do a 100% flush, maybe a local shop has a "TransTech" machine. We have one and use it a lot, does a great job. It tees into the cooler supply/return lines, and pumps new fluid in and drains the old. Might be worth a few local phone calls.

HTH,
Scott

Absolutely the best way!

Will never do it any other way again! :)

Flushing machines

My 2cents (when it may not be needed). I personally do not care for the cooler feed line flush units, while they do work they are better off for the quick lube industry besides (any one that has one try to flush dodges and new gm quick disconnects)better sell them fittings too. I know they do save labor allowing tech to do other tasks. I just happen to like our machine. It allows for the pan drop and connect to the pump inlet where the filter goes and flushes the converter and cooler just as in normal opperation we can run the vehicles on the rack. It's 98-99% effective. Just my 2c's.

Excuse my ignorance, but, when you use one of those TransTech machines how does it know how much fluid to put back in?
I've seen a local quick lube place use one and the guy operating it had no idea how much fluid he was putting back in or how much he was pulling out. He just knew that when the machine was done, so was he.

They just flush it till it's clean and red again. It's supposed to take @32-36 qts, but usually it's less.

ok my question now is this...

i am using b+m trick shift tranny fluid (the blue stuff) and i want to continue using it...do i just tell them to put the same stuff in when they flush it or are they going to force me to go back to dexron III

The T Tech machine i use puts the same amount of fluid in as it takes out using the exact same pressure, since your trans pump is supplying the pushing power. So you never run low and never damage any seals. Why would you try anything else. It takes 15 minutes and your hands never drip with trans fluid. But this doesnt mean i dont change my filter, just only after a few flushes.

Scott

flushing

I tend to agree with you Irv. We used it all the time at the GM dealership, but then, us advisors loved add on sales. LOL. I do have my own personal tale though. My '97 Expedition was starting to act funny going into second gear with only 43k on it. I flushed it for sh#@ and giggles, and much to my suprise, it was a fix.
I can't say its all that for most, and some,(including my boss) seem to not like the heavy deteregent effect it has on the internals. As a way to clean and protect a trans that is in good condition with ALL new fluid, it's hard to beat, and very clean and quick. That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.

We are friends with the family that designed and built the T Tech model. So we get to use it whenever we want to. Everyone of their family has a vehicle with over 100,000 miles. The dads Chevy pickup has 220,000, the son who did most of the design for it had one truck with 160,000 and his current has 145,000. My Tahoe has 155,000 and we are using it to pull my GN to WI next week. I'd stand by all those stories.

Scott

All fluids

No matter how you get it done, changing all fluids--engine, trannie, and brake--in your car periodically is the cheapest maintence investment you can make.

Just remember that no "reasonable" method gets out 100% of the oil. The difference in benefit between 90%--mechanically-forced methods--and 75%--do-it-yourself methods--oil removal is so marginal as to not be of concern. Changing the filter and cleaning the stuff off the bottom of the pan is way more important.

I would like to know if anyone/who sells the fiber-media type 2004R oil filters--versus the fine-screen type filters.

CORRECT

You are right on the money there Clay. Like the old commercial used to say, "You can pay me now, or you can pay me later" like when I am in Hawaii spending your money. LOL

Re: All fluids

Originally posted by Clay Thompson

I would like to know if anyone/who sells the fiber-media type 2004R oil filters--versus the fine-screen type filters.

Anyone? :confused:

Filters

If I remember correctly most all the spx filtran filters are screens for the 200-4r. You can contact a local transmission part supply house to see if they have one (transtar, atc, what ever it takes, and Dacco are a few). I personally just use the screen. I've heard you can use the 700-r4 (4L60) filter too, ( which will give you suction from the bottom) and it is a dacron filter. My $.02