Home Audio.....Analog tube amp....turntables....Step inside!

I have a old stereo system it is a Pioneer SX1980 with liquid cooled Sansui 500lb speakers Well they feel that heavy when I have to move them. It was part of the dowry from my wife's father in the 1980's. He just wanted it gone and gave it to us for our first apartment. That thing rocks. It almost got us evicted. I have it in my shop now because she says it is too bulky.

I think what you have is so over the top that most of us can't relate. There are plenty of us who consider ourselves audiophiles, but not after seeing what you have. I like good home speakers and old school car audio stuff. My main speakers in my home theater are ESS AMT1's. The originals. They have newer woofers from ESS from when they were still around in 2001. I have a set of Wharddale Modus one six's in the bedroom. Bose 901's (gen 4) in the office. JBL 4410's in the garage. I collect odds and ends from the good 'ol days of car audio. Hifonics VIII Europa, a couple old school Lanzar Opti Drive amps, Some older Focals, Oz Audio 250L's, 1st gen RF Audiophile subs, JBL 1000GTi, and other stuff.

Years ago I had some entry level audiophile stuff. Dynaco Stereo 70, Magnepan SMGa, Dynaco preamp (PAM 3 I think), AR turntable with ModSquad chassis, Premier MMT arm, Grado cartridge. Nice setup for a small room.

That hobby got taken over by cars. I still have some bits and pieces stashed here somewhere.

Bob

whenever I go to a Auction or a sale I'm always on the look out for Tubed Amps . You never Know

Could be trouble? (old tube amps)

Many older capacitors are trash. Tubes have been changed to garbage from Russia or China.

Tubes from Germany and England are usually considered nice.

You would want to gently apply voltage with Variac and bring up Volts slowly if amp has not been powered for years.

I'd guess over 50% of all old tube amps are garbage now for any number of reason.

Not too many people left on the planet to diagnose and repair these things.

Tube testing machines are required and a large stock of quality tubes to properly match-up the sets.

It's easier to build a Stage II Buick maybe? LOL

A new McIntosh tube amp will be around $6000 and up. Some are close to $30k!

Try to avoid used stuff from ebay and China.

www.Audiogon.com is the place to look for used.

Last edited:
All I can say is that is one nice set-up. On the Klipsch side note I've had a pair of Heresy's since the early 70's that still rock. ( in my opinion you can't beat a horned speaker. there in the basement. Up stairs I've got Klipsch S-7's Floor, S-7 Center & S-7's Rear with two 15" Velodyne Subs. one for the front and one for the rear. Sounds pretty good too.

The Jubilees are the very last speaker Mr. Paul Klipsch designed before he died in the 2000s.

Company was sold, but many family and original employees are still there.

New Klipsch company decided not to sell the Jubilees to the mass public.

Only for professional use in Cinemas. Took me months to convince them to build them for me.

I think I am One of 13 people on planet who owns a set.

Bass bin is complex interior with Two Woofers out of sight behind a series of folded horns.

No corner or walls needed to produce the big-boom! (Unlike the Klipsch Corner-Horns)

Million Dollar system with Five Jubilee Bass Bins......

Red things on walls are $100k crossovers....

You should see the rest of this guy's set-up!

My systems stinks compared to most Audiophiles.

1.JPG

That's crazy money right there. (Wish I could take a listen) I can understand dropping a few grand on more mainstream B&W, Martin Logan, B&K, Linn and McIntosh but some guys go a little crazy. That turntable is nuts!
I always liked the tube stuff but it's more expensive than my already expensive car hobby...:eek:

You don't even need a turntable to play Slayer. :p

You should look into Altec professional speakers they were in a lot more theaters than Klipsch and their home stuff was well made based on the theater components.

If you like horn speakers. :cool:

I still have a pair of A7 cabinets in my basement from the college years. :oops:

I sold my Mac 275 $$$$$ years ago to pay for some transistor Mac, 2205's. :D

I like Mac's second to third gen. transistor stuff it works great and goes up in value while you use it. :)

I still use my Thorens, as well as my 1968 Sony direct drive turntable with my ADC carbon fiber arm a lot.

I like the Shure V15 series moving magnet with the carbon fiber arm it tracks great, and the Moving coils with Ortofon amp. in the Thorens.

The Germans probably made that $$$ table for playing Bach. :eek:

At work...I need efficiency to blast through my CNC equipment running in the background. (Referring to horns) Altec is not as efficient at all! OK with you?

Altec A7 are great for human voice dialog in movies. (100hz - 10,000hz) That is what they are made for. They kinda suck for just 2-channel music IMO. You go buy them and enjoy them if you want? Not me.
First, They are rated at only 97dB at 1 watt. (10x less efficient as my Klipsch! LOL) and can only handle 125watts continuous. Also 10x less than my Klipsch, which can handle 1000watts+ all day long.
I have around 1000watts per channel. Impossible to put that to a set of A7 Altec!
I would need Seven sets of them to handle that power, and still end up with a systems 1/2 the volume of the Jubilees! Not even a close comparison. Totally different Universe of speakers.

??

If you are the type of person who enjoys this thing, and have some $$......I would think that One would go through many phases and buy/sell all sorts of Audio equipment.

Sure, I plan on trying some older JBL, Altec, and many others...

Each room and each ambient background deserves consideration before planning an audio system.

I am happy for what I have, and where I have it.

I have 1000 different genera of music. From Pipe Organ to Heavy Metal and everything in between.

If you don't like Slayer and Bach, then I take no offense at all. To each his own. Both are widely accepted as some of the best of that style of music. Maybe you like some weird crap that I hate? So what?

There are certain times of the day I cannot listen to it either. But, then there are times when it is appropriate.

Same with anything. Rap, Pop, Classic, etc...

You need to have a wide variety and mix it up.

Last edited:
Crazy awesome stuff. And I thought re-foaming the cones on my late 80s JBLs a couple months back so my son could enjoy them was a big deal. Lol.
Seriously, I have always appreciated audio equipment like that. Beautiful.

My dad used to have a McIntosh MX112 preamp and tuner, a MC2505 amp an two ML2C speakers and tho other Altec speakers, also a McIntosh equalizer MQ101, along with another amp Crown DC300A, a Pioneer CT-F1000 cassette deck.. They were great!

Right now, I have a Marantz Model 2500 Preamp/amp unit,a Thorens TD126 MKII turntable, a Philips CD 304 cd player, two KEF model 105 series II speakers, a Pioneer CT-F1000 cassette deck, an Aiwa AD 6500 cassette deck, a Pioneer SR 202 reverb amplifier,and a Genexxa CD 8001 5-cd player…

Claude.

Those Mac speakers might be in the 80db decade with one watt. :p

It's not a question of liking Slayer or anyone you don't need a $200K turntable to play it as recorded. ;)

Those Mac speakers might be in the 80db decade with one watt. :p

It's not a question of liking Slayer or anyone you don't need a $200K turntable to play it as recorded. ;)

Then don't buy One. ??

What else can I say?

The Slayer in the pic.... on Vinyl sounds not very good. The mixing for all of those and the pressing is pretty poor.

Actually, those in the pic are all pressed/sold in Brazil and very rare to Slayer fans and command quite a price. (Last time I buy any Vinyl from Brazil! LOL) I'll make a few $$ when/if I ever sell them.

I bet my life you have never seen or heard any of those, so keep your opinion to thing that you know about, eh? LOL

(This time, you are correct on both assumptions though.)

I bet the US version of those albums sound much better. I have tons of Vinyl.
Some blows, some sounds amazing.

My Mac Speakers are power hogs! Terrible efficiency.
Just awful! Around 84-86dB 1 watt @ 1 meter.
Heavy bastards as well!

I bought for $400 for the pair and they sell for around $1000. They just happen to be made the year I was born, and I like them, but not for the sound. They do sound very accurate, but just poor efficiency. Decent Bass and well balanced. Wider range than any Altec Cinimas for sure!

They serve a purpose. They look pretty to me and that is where I put my Albums when in use. Like a pair of coffee tables.

5-way speakers with Seven drivers. Old School for sure.

Would be better to have in a very small room, like a bedroom.

I do not recommend these speakers.

OK with you?? o_O

The Klipsch on the other hand......Two Thumbs up! :)

Last edited:
My dad used to have a McIntosh MX112 preamp and tuner, a MC2505 amp an two ML2C speakers and tho other Altec speakers, also a McIntosh equalizer MQ101, along with another amp Crown DC300A, a Pioneer CT-F1000 cassette deck.. They were great!

Right now, I have a Marantz Model 2500 Preamp/amp unit,a Thorens TD126 MKII turntable, a Philips CD 304 cd player, two KEF model 105 series II speakers, a Pioneer CT-F1000 cassette deck, an Aiwa AD 6500 cassette deck, a Pioneer SR 202 reverb amplifier,and a Genexxa CD 8001 5-cd player…

Claude.

I have some weird early 70s Sansui Reverberator Pre-amp thing that I have never tried.

I think it was used to simulate Two Reel-to-reel tape decks that were both played in/out of phase with each other.

Playing the same things, but operator dragged his finger on One spool, then the other machine to create a cool sound effect as the two tracks go in/out of phase with each other.

Old School mixing trick.

Last edited: