High stall converter and daily driving

1of1547

Village Idiot!!!
Last summer I put a 4000 rpm stall converter in my car, but did not drive it any. Last Monday night I finally took it out for the first time in a year. But when I was cruising through the gears it did not feel right when it shifted into high gear. It almost felt like the transmission was low in fluid or the shifter cable was not adjusted properly. Almost like it didn’t fully go into high gear. I am going to check the cable soon just to make sure everything is right. It was very lazy going into gear. My question is does the RPMs play a factor in the way the transmission will shift? I was shifting it into high at approx. 2500 RPM. So theoretically the converter is not “locking up” since it is not in the neighborhood of 4000. Will this make the transmission shift into high slower because the converter is not in its efficiency range?

A flashy stall will make the trans shift what appears to be softer. And seem a little lazy on the take off.
How is WOT shifts?

Non l/u i presume?

A flashy stall will make the trans shift what appears to be softer. And seem a little lazy on the take off.
How is WOT shifts?

Non l/u i presume?

Yea it's a Turbo 350, so there is no lock up. I've never owned a car with a converter bigger than a 3000. Just wanted to make sure everything is OK. I haven't done any wide open shifts yet. It's skating around way to much. :D If it doesn't rain this weekend I am going to put the Mickeys on and see how it does.