high 8 low 9 sec intercooler?

mob1202

Professional
I'm not sure which intercooler to go with.
I want to buy one and get it right the 1st time.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I ASSume you're looking for an air-air front mount unit? If so I think the front mount Jack Cotton www.cottonsperformance.com sells would be your best bet considering Jack and some other guys have run in the low 9's to high 8's with it or call Precision Turbo www.precisionturbo.net and ask about the baddest FMs they sell for the Turbo Regals (I've been told they have a core and half as well as a 2 core FM that can support an 8 second car)....

Another option (if you could find one) is the CAS V1 or V3 FM that Tony DeQuick used to sell (he's not in business any longer as far as I know).....

HTH

Get ahold of Kip Asplund...His Nick on this board is Kip.

He can probably get you a CAS intercooler...I bought a CAS radiator from him about a year ago and he keeps them in stock.

PM me if you want his # or email.

Thanks for the info,But I guess what I'm looking for is something that someone on the board is using to make these kinds of passes with GREAT results,that they would highly recomend to me. (Thanks in advance for any help):confused:

Originally posted by mob1202
Thanks for the info,But I guess what I'm looking for is something that someone on the board is using to make these kinds of passes with GREAT results,that they would highly recomend to me. (Thanks in advance for any help):confused:

Check out Jack Cottons 8 second GN-1 valve covers. This is all the proof you need that his FM will get the job done. I can vouch for the ease and precision fit this piece offers. I will update times after this weekend. The intercooler takes up all the room in front of the radiator possible.

Thanks again for all the responses.
I bought Cottons large front mount for my street car.
Its the one that totally fills up the whole area behind the grill.
It is big like my radiator and the install was a breeze.
I get compliments on it every where I go.
I was thinking about getting the double stacked Precision but I thought that it was a little bit too much fabrication (too much money)I'll call Jack tomorrow and see what he says.;)

Still taking ideas!

Go with Jacks Fm, that is the one that I have and am very pleased with it, also I won't have to upgrade when I go stage 2.

I have a perfect V1 for sale if you are interested, less then a thousand street miles. I only used it to low 10's but it is a mid 8 second capable piece and the fit is perfect.

Originally posted by Dave Levey
I have a perfect V1 for sale if you are interested, less then a thousand street miles. I only used it to low 10's but it is a mid 8 second capable piece and the fit is perfect.

I'm still not sure what intercooler to use,I'm not in that big of a hurry because my project is pretty big and I don't want to rush.
I'm shooting for BG 2005;) Thanks Though

Originally posted by mob1202
I'm still not sure what intercooler to use,I'm not in that big of a hurry because my project is pretty big and I don't want to rush.
I'm shooting for BG 2005;) Thanks Though

I have one of DeQuick's old V3s. If you put it in the way he set it up, with the piping under the core support, you have to use a 4" rubber elbow and the piping's still too low to the ground for a car that might do wheel stands. The couple of cars I've seen with the bigger PT&E unit looked pretty low as well.

If Jack and Cal can go 8s at 154-159 with the smaller FMs, they are working OK and they are MUCH easier to fit. I would run one and not look back.

In my case, I flipped the thing over, which meant a lot of fab work as I had to lose the core support, do new inlet/outlets, yada yada. I am happy with how it came out but probably wouldn't want to go through that again.

Kendall

Cal runs a deqwick v3 same as I do I have gone 164 mph on it. It is to bad these are not readly avaliable It don't get any bigger.

Tony Gomes
TSO Outlaw
8.49@164

Originally posted by NEARING
How much difference between a V1 and a V3?

I have a V1.

Thanks.

Kendall's website has a few good pics of the V3 and a good little description of it....

"It's basically two of his normal V1 cores sandwiched together with custom end tanks (two 3" inlets, one 4" outlet)."

http://www.secondhandsix.com/ttype/ic.htm

FWIW, I saw the V3 that Cal has on his car (he showed it to us before he put it on his car at the one event) and I must say that pics don't do that IC any justice!!! It's a very thick piece:eek:

Originally posted by 86brick
Kendall's website has a few good pics of the V3 and a good little description of it....

"It's basically two of his normal V1 cores sandwiched together with custom end tanks (two 3" inlets, one 4" outlet)."

http://www.secondhandsix.com/ttype/ic.htm

FWIW, I saw the V3 that Cal has on his car (he showed it to us before he put it on his car at the one event) and I must say that pics don't do that IC any justice!!! It's a very thick piece:eek:

:eek: GOOD GOD Magnum that's a big intercooler!

Definitely not a drop in.

Originally posted by NEARING
:eek: GOOD GOD Magnum that's a big intercooler!

Definitely not a drop in.

Here's how the IC looks now..

tuned_on_07.jpg

tuned_on_04.jpg