Help! Red Cat

drew666

Old Hot Rodder
Car was running fine with a slight popping noise like a bad exhaust valve. Ran a compression test and got 150 on all 6. When I ran the test I disconnected the Cal Pak. Would cranking the engine over with the Pak disconnected get it out of time?Changed plugs twice. Tonight I was working with the hood lamp only. Covering the lamp with my hand and looking for spark leaks. None. Car running like plug wires crossed but they aren't. I just happened to see an orange glow between the firewall and engine. When I bent down to look, the cat was bright orange. Can catalytic convertors stop up and act like a collapsed exhaust pipe? :confused:

Sounds like your convertor is plugged. Now is a good time gut it:) Had this problem on my 5.0 on one of the cats. Replaced it and everything was fine.

Red Cat

Thanks for the post xtremexnyc. Have almost convinced myself that is what is going on. Problem is that everytime I get one thing fixed - another starts. Gonna try your suggestion tomorrow Thanks:(

Originally posted by xtremexnyc
Sounds like your convertor is plugged. Now is a good time gut it:) Had this problem on my 5.0 on one of the cats. Replaced it and everything was fine.

You're not 'gutting' the cat... you're dropping a screwdriver in it! :)

Not the CaT

Not the cat. Pulled it off and it was clean not stopped up.
Has to be some kind of timing problem. Don't get it. Was running fine until I unplugged the Coil Pac and did a compression check. Exhaust pipe tips are rich almost wet. ????????:(