Help-Going to do a budget rebuild the target is 11.99 at least once.

It does happen, but not when a proper cam breakin is accomplished.

i agree with you. But my best friend's name is Murphy. And like i said if this rebuild fails it WILL be at least a year before another one gets done.

If i had more experience building engines and brake-in procedures i would follow you with the Flat tappet cam.

If your goals are easy 11.5s and a stock flat tappet cam can make into the 10's all you need is a smaller roller cam. Don't forget as the cam gets bigger the rpm range goes higher and you lose some low end. Something in the 206 range will suit your needs just fine.

I am running either a hot air or an n/a block in my 87 right now, because I have so far managed to window my 4.1 and spin the mains/break the crank on my 109 that came in it. I ran mine really easy the other day and on the lowest boost I could run it trapped 114, which is enough mph to push a gn into the high 11s with a good launch. Unfortunately for me, it was so laggy off the line I didn't run an 11 and I somehow tossed the driveshaft out of the car, so I didn't get a chance to push it any harder.

6776 turbo, gn1 heads, pte fmic

forgot to mention it's a 212 comp cam, but a 206 is a good cam for a weekend warrior as well. I used the 212 because I was running the bigger motor.

It does happen, but not when a proper cam breakin is accomplished.

Dave I had a lot of cars here that ate a lobe 5k later. Out of the blue. Also run across a lot of cars that sit for a while eat them also. Back in the day flat tappets were fine. Now I wouldn't waste my time or $$$$ with em. :cool: I have NEVER had a new cam fail at the break in .

What do you guys think about this cam from FTS.
"Revolution XR1" Roller cam

Our latest design roller profile for use with newer high flow turbos. Specs:
Intake 206 @ .050 .516 lift
Exhaust 210 @ .050 .516 lift
110 L/S (installs at 110)
(lift with stock rockers)
Best stock replacment cam with 2800+ converter perfect idle and great drivability. Best street roller for driver that wants good manners

solid flat tappet

no problems here.

A.j.

Solid flat tappet??? Our valve covers are a big enough pain in the arse to remove as it is. Let alone having to remove them periodically to adjust the rockers because of the solids.

I use the RJC slavers and stock valve covers. It is pretty easy to get them off when needed. The big champion style was more difficult, but the big tall black ones with no gasket groove seen on the older builds that touch the heater box and have recessed Allen screws are a real pain in the butt.

What do you guys think about this cam from FTS.

Sounds good. I still don't understand why you feel like you have to have a roller on a budget build...If I was on an unlimited budget I would spring for an extra 900 bucks in a heartbeat, but I got to use that money on a set of GN1 heads instead, which will make a lot more hp over the stockers.

Sounds good. I still don't understand why you feel like you have to have a roller on a budget build...If I was on an unlimited budget I would spring for an extra 900 bucks in a heartbeat, but I got to use that money on a set of GN1 heads instead, which will make a lot more hp over the stockers.

I agree with you
but i guess my stubbornness is getting t he best of me.

Solid flat tappet??? Our valve covers are a big enough pain in the arse to remove as it is. Let alone having to remove them periodically to adjust the rockers because of the solids.

He's running a blower not a turbo Dave.:biggrin:

You sound like you are related to me :biggrin:

Same way with me. I didn't need the gn1 heads, but thought what the heck :eek:

Even if my car is slower then it should be (most likely) i could still join the "Cool guy parts" club.

i am going to start the pictures soon.

Front cover ?
Do you guys reuse it?
Do you guys modify it?

You sound like you are related to me :biggrin:

Same way with me. I didn't need the gn1 heads, but thought what the heck :eek:

Even if my car is slower then it should be (most likely) i could still join the "Cool guy parts" club.

Front cover ?
Do you guys reuse it?
Do you guys modify it?

Front cover ?
Do you guys reuse it?
Do you guys modify it?

I'd reuse the stocker an just clean it up.. Make sure there is no "flash" chunks :cool:

stop drinking then read the next line.

i NEED to reuse as much as possible and still have a reliable 11.50s car.:eek:
At least i warned you:biggrin:

good to know that i can reuse the front cover

84 Block
84 Crank
84 Rods
86-87 Balancer
Roller Cam
84 Front cover
86-87 accessories.

there are still two BIG things that i am still fighting my self on, one is weather to go with the Steel Caps + line bore and line hone = $700.00
and the second things is Forged pistons = $$$$
i already have a use set of ????(material) pistons that i bought back in 06 from Cotton id hate to not use them and have to buy and add to the cost.