help....again......timed fan relay

josh watson

A few questions about the timed fan relay. It's bolted to the driver side fender behind two normal relay's. GP-Sorenson pt# 41-5427

!. Is there any way to bypass this relay
2. Who would carry this relay (all the stores in my area can't get it..."vendor doesn't have it in stock")
3. can anyone explain...exactly...where the wires for the two plug ins (3 prongs each) go....so I can figure out how to bypass it if I need two.
4. Has anyone else....in the world....ever....had the same dumb problems with their cars that I do?

what exactly does this things do? Mine is pretty well fried so I can't even figure out what the circuitry is supposed to look like inside. Even the coil inside is oxidized and broken.

PS..... can someone go to their car and unplug this relay and tell me if your car starts without it?
thanks
JW

i was told you don't need,the only thing is your fan would not run after you car the car off. should have nothing to do with the car starting.

want to know for sure

It shorted out pretty bad and might have taken out something else along the way. Anyone else?

spending money on replacing it is just a waste

unplug the fan delay relay and toss it in the trunk (in your case the trash) , then it can have no effect on the car

its function is to turn the coolant fans on when ignition is off and if the high speed fan sensor on manifold (overheat sensor) is closed (above 220*) and then it will run the fans for a preset time of about 10 minutes

if you have moved to a 160 thermostat it should never come on and most fail and then end up running the fans forever and killing the battery

once unplugged it can no longer cause any issues and youll never miss it

thanks

very helpful.....now to find out what the real problem is :)

where did you get the diagram? If there is a book specifically for our cars I want one. Chiltons on this car is f'in useless.

thanks again
JW

The factory service manual has all those diagrams and more in it.

About $140 or so from Helm Inc., covers all 1987 Buick models.

There was someone selling a CD Rom version a while back also but I don't remember who it was.

Search feature might find more on that and the delay relay.

And you really don't need that relay in the car it causes more trouble than it's worth, however, if you want to keep it there for looks, disconnect BOTH connectors to it and leave them under it so it looks like it's still hooked up but make sure it isn't. :cool: