Headliner - factory astro vs. dealer sky top

Don Smith

I'm ready to replace my headline and wonder if anyone with the dealer installed ASC sky top sun roof tried to use the ABS headliner product being sold by numerous vendors made for the "factory" sun roofs? Would this headliner fit the sky top? Is the dimensions of the factory astro different and the only option is the cardboard option and cut to fit? Any input would be appreciated , thanks.

I'm ready to replace my headline and wonder if anyone with the dealer installed ASC sky top sun roof tried to use the ABS headliner product being sold by numerous vendors made for the "factory" sun roofs? Would this headliner fit the sky top? Is the dimensions of the factory astro different and the only option is the cardboard option and cut to fit? Any input would be appreciated , thanks.
No, they won't work. There was a thread a few years back about this. Do a search for more info. I'm in the same boat as you and as far as I know, it can be done buy a competent upholstery shop.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Also, do you have and ASC stickers on your car, maybe in the door jamb or in the glove box. And do you have a manual for it?

I checked the doors and glove box, no stickers. The drivers door had 2stickers that are long gone. Assuming ASC sun roof because of the "skytop" handle on the sun shade. So the sun roof versions wouldn't fit as they are made for the Astros which I assume now are different opening measurements. So it's the card board no sun roof version and I will have to cut out the opening. Looks like the only way way to remove the sunshade for recovering is to drop the main unit. No manual found.

Can you get one for a hardtop and use your old one for a template and cut the hole for your aftermarket sunroof?

Yep, Don. Same here. It looks like they took a razor knife and cut the backing board at the outer perimeter. Do you have any pics? I bought a back-up glass from another GN and it was from a different manufacturer, but ASC and I think he gave me a booklet. Need to check that.

TLIMITED-I other threads, people said that wont work. Cant remember why....

I am in the same boat......body guy cut out my headliner with a razor knife in 2" strips so he could get to the moonroof seal........before he figured out if you open the roof the seal is there. My roof was dealer installed and is branded Holandia. I found out that they were bought by Webasto and there is a dealer 15 miles from me. He gave me a sample piece of seal and it fit perfect. Got the new seal for $40.00. I took my car to them to see about getting the headliner done, I showed him the options available for ABS headliners. He said to get the hardtop style, uncovered and bring it in to him and for $250.00 they would cut it, install the foam on the board and the slider, let me pick from 17 shades of grey fabric they have in stock on enormous rolls.
I talked to them for awhile and told him I needed to dissassemble my roof to get all of the primer, dust and crap out of the tracks. He showed me the screws to take out for the glass and the track, the slider came out after the track was removed. I spent most of a Saturday cleaning the junk out of the tracks and reassembling and testing before I installed the new seal. Roof moves much faster now and actually seals now. HTH

Bryan

I measured an factory roof tonight 9.5 from front, 8.5 from the side. Different then my ASC. Looks like I will go with the summit PUI headliner, remove the fabric, make it fit and recover.

I measured an factory roof tonight 9.5 from front, 8.5 from the side. Different then my ASC. Looks like I will go with the summit PUI headliner, remove the fabric, make it fit and recover.
yeah, it's different than a factory CF5 moon-roof. It would be awesome to talk to someone who did the installs back in the day. Seems like there were a few different installers and manufacturers

I'm dropping the sun roof to get at the sun shade for re-covering. I'm sure this is going to be a pain in the neck.

I'm dropping the sun roof to get at the sun shade for re-covering. I'm sure this is going to be a pain in the neck.
Should be able to get to the slider from the top after removing the glass

Bryan

I have rust around my glass was wondering the best way too attack it.

I have both astroroof and ASC roof cars. My astroroof has never had any issues with the headliner so I cannot speak to that (I did pull the glass and replace the seal though).

The ASC roof car is a different animal. This is a hardtop car that has had a hole cut in the roof. The headliner may or may not be removed when the cutting is done. Then the sunroof assembly is installed.
There is NO headliner backer board! The installers merely took material and stretched it taut. Once the headliner starts to sag the removal is a messy affair as the foam back of the material will have dried out and crumbled and will rain upon you and make a huge mess.

The ASC sunroof assembly is a few inches deep and this must be taken into account when trying to install a new headliner.

I tried an ABS headliner for a hardtop car. -This did NOT work. It will NOT work. Don't waste your time or money. (It doesn't account for the extra inches of depth added by the assembly)
I did not try an astroroof liner. I suspect that the holes may not line up but, I am not sure. I suppose it could work but I have not tested it. (If you do try it I would recommend a mock up without the material affixed to it as you may need to cut)

Eventually, I was lucky enough to find a headliner backer board that was intact at a local salvage yard. It came from a slightly larger Regal or Pontiac (I cannot recall).
It was very carefully removed, professionally cleaned and re-covered.
The hole in the board was larger than I needed but it still worked out pretty well.

Hope this might help some of you with the ASC roof.
Good Luck!

Thanks for the info. I was thinking about getting the hard top abs headliner, glad I didn't . I ended up dropping the sun roof and pulled the sunshade, recovered it and reinstalled the sun shade then the sun roof. It was all very easy but you need a second set of hands to get the roof back in. I removed both front seats to have some wiggle room. I am covering the roof with strips of backer board that I bought at hobby lobby then will cover it with the sp1810 which is almost a perfect match to my sun visors.

That sounds like it will be a challenge. I tried a few different things (such as strips) but nothing really worked right. I wanted a solid (feeling/looking headliner). Remember that you need to cover it all before you install it. Trying to put the material on the board once it's in the car will be near impossible and VERY messy.

Good luck and post some pics...