Headers??

That sounds like a great idea, does anyone need stage 2 heads and a victor jr intake? also is BGC still around? Cals car looks great that is the way i would like my car to look like and hell run to. What oiling system does he use? :confused:

If you go to cals web site, he is not running a off-center he is running an on center.:confused: :confused:

Well..... I just put my Stage 2 - headed engine in the car this past weekend. Yup... I had to do the heater box mod. No big deal. Yup...had to buy headers. Probably woulda' done that anyway. Yup...had to modify 4-V manifold. Would rather have one of Tony DeQuick's sheetmetal numbers, but again, no big deal. Accessory bracket bolts right up, except for the support brackets from the header to the back of the alternator and a/c. So I ditched the a/c. (We've got nice weather here in San Diego. :D

The only thing I didn't have to do was spend $2,000-$2,500 on GN1's and peripherals, only to (1) send valve guides through my turbo, (2) wait months for them to be weld-repaired for cracks, (3) break rocker arm studs, (4) spend a grand or so on a porting job. (The T/A's will probably be a lot better, though GN1's were the only option when I was at my decision point.)

I think 9.90's should be doable. Keep your cam down, size your turbo right, and your converter, and it ought to do just fine on the street. From the few guy's I've talked to with S2-headed street cars, I'm pretty sure I'll be a happy fella'.:D :D

Mac,

Who's headers did you buy?
Can I email you about your combo?

njturbo, I just went on Cal's website and it does say on-center.... I know for a fact that you can use GN1R heads and a stock ported or BGC intake with an off-center and now from seeing Cal's motor is on-center I'm guessing the on-center is no different??? Either way, it seems like there will be pros and cons to using you Stage 2 heads and victor jr intake or using the Champion GN1R heads and ported stock/BGC intake.... Some have had problems with the Champion GN1R heads and they aren't cheap, but it seems like they are the only option until the TA aluminum heads come out if you want to keep your A/C and have a nice clean stock looking engine like Cal and Cotton. I think it might be a good idea to call and speak with Cal or Jack cause I'm sure they could give you the best advice regarding your combo and what will work the best!

Good luck!:)

Later.

Thanks for the reply, the BGC intake is that sheetmetal or cast iron? also how is Tony dequicks sheet metal intake a bit pricy however if everything will bolt to that intake with gn1 heads i will go that road. Alot of guys are telling me that S2 Heads flow to much for street and i will have problems and alot of modifications are needed to run these heads with ac and p/s. I have to say cals car is a awesome ride. That is the way i would like engine area to look. Anyone need state 2 heads and brand new intake???? back to the drawing board.:eek: :eek:

I know for a fact the BGC intake is not sheetmetal so yes chances are it is cast iron. I haven't seen anybody with a CAS (Tony DeQuick) sheetmetal intake yet, but I know Patrick Rubio @ PTE www.precisionte.com is using a fully ported production intake and Pat has a Stage II off-center motor like you and he is running high 9's with the PT74-1 3-bolt turbo. BTW, Terry Houston ran 8.60 @160mph with Champion GN1R heads and a 3-bolt 88 turbo so I'm sure they'll be plenty for what you want to run;)

Originally posted by 86brick
I know for a fact the BGC intake is not sheetmetal so yes chances are it is cast iron.

It's cast...but not cast iron. It's aluminum, was available for both on and off-center motors (rough casting can be machined for either) but BGC's out of business. The only reason I'd ever use a BGC intake was if I had an on-center with production style heads and was forced to. Off-center motors w/GN1s or M&As can use a stock ported intake. That makes you eligible for more classes at BG also. :)

Originally posted by John Wilde
Mac,

Who's headers did you buy?
Can I email you about your combo?

Sure, John. I emailed you with my address. I bought the ATR headers. I understand that they're not optimum, according to those in the know (like Kenny D.), but they're reasonably priced.

I also used ATR's heater box mod, and the engine with the headers fits swell. :D

Mac,

Thanks for the email. I will shoot you one back in a minute =)
I know that PTE was working aon a stage 2 header set up.
Does anyone know where that is? Also Charged Air was working on some. Maybe Bill Anderson can fill us in.

CAS Sheetmetal Intake

I have CAS's sheetmetal intake on my car. It's not a stage 2, but basically the same. It's a work of art as far as the intake goes. The customer service and stuff, well, we are talking about CAS here..... But the intake bolted up perfectly and it is MASSIVE to say the least as far as runner size. I also have the ported/polished GN1R heads. The felpro intake gaskets are now the "restriction" in the intake runner paths. :) The only thing I kind of wish the intake had was the stock hole for a PCV setup. I'm re-routing mine into a valve cover, but would be cleaner to have the stock arrangement. If you have ANY inclination of wanting one of these intakes, AND want the car on the road before winter, order the intake NOW!!! Once again, all the posts about timeliness with CAS on this board are there for a reason. :) And it took 3 tries for Tony to finally send me all the parts to the intake....

Derrick

P.S. I can send pics of the intake if you want.

I beleive with everyones feed back, i am going to go with the GN1R heads and Champion race ported intake. My main goal is low 10's with stock appearing look. If you look here http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1846516068 i am blowing this stuff out. I think the S2 Heads will just be to much for street use with the intake set-up. It really is a good thing for this board, i could imagine how many thousands of dollars people spent in old days by trial and error. :eek: :eek:

Well i listened to you guys and got myself i real nice set of 4 bolt headers, roller rockers and put a deposit on some real sweet GN1R heads. Pictures below, go to second page of pictures. :D http://photos.yahoo.com/rob_crisafulli I cannot wait to get Stage motor done. Need more money:eek: :eek:

Nice pics!

What size roller cam will you be using and what size 4-bolt turbo? Also, will you be using a FAST/Fel-Pro system or the stock modified ECM? Keep us posted on the build-up. BTW, you're making me jealous:) ;) :D

Cam i selected is going to be 210/206 Billet webber roller HYD. Yes i am reseaching Fast as we speak. However that will probally be the last piece i buy:eek: :eek: I want to learn about it first as there is no one in NJ that really knows how to set these up. I do not want to have to depend on someone tuning it with the money i have into to it. Turbo i think i am going with a 76 and a Cas V1 for the intercooler. I need to take a second Mortgage:eek: :eek:

The 76 turbo and V1 FMIC sound good for your goals (low 10's with A/C, PS, and stock appearing), but I think the 210/206 Billet roller is a bit on the small side for your combo.... Neal Steward (aka 750H.P.V6 on this forum) of Brutal 6 Racing http://members.aol.com/skooby66/index.htm runs a 250ci S2 motor in his 3700lb w/driver '86 T-type with a T-76 BB Q-trim turbo, V1 FMIC, GN1R heads, etc. and he has a Comp. 220/220 roller cam and runs low 10's @134+mph.... You really don't need a big roller cam to run low 10's (Ricardo LaCosta ran 9.50's @139mph with an ATR 214/210 Hyd. Billet roller cam with his 3400lb S2 TR), but I think a roller cam that is in the 220+ range makes it a bit easier! JMO:)

I am being told that the heads are set-up for this cam:confused: if i can go a little bigger i will. I would like to be able to drive on street with AC go to track, turn up boost, do a low 10 and come home. My main concern is 10's and reliabilty. Question block is 3.98 Bore and steel crank is 3.580 rods are 6.5. Does this make this a 272CI:confused:

Going to be running a off-center 274 soon with the ATR 4 bolt headers PT-76 turbo. I'm running a 235/235 solid roller in it that Dan set up for me at PTE. I am running the GN-1R's fully ported. It's going to be something else. It will be interesting to see exactly what gain the engine has to offer as all my bolt ons will be the same.