Header Wrap on Stainless Headers?

joe_schindler

Living better with carbon
Has anyone tried using header wrap on stainless headers? I was planning to do the headers and downpipe.

I have used it on carbon steel with good results; but never on stainless; and never with a turbocharged engine.

Thanks in advance,

Joe

I've used it on the down pipe. Works good to keep the heat away from the AC box. I have a set of wrapped ATR's, but I haven't run them yet.

I wrapped my ATR headers and crossover pipe I also wrapped my down pipe and it makes a huge difference in under hood temps. It is also nice when working on the car mainly checking spark plugs when it is hot....no burned fingers:D

Hi,
I would say that it should not matter if the metal is stainless or regular steel. These wraps really work; my Cherokee has a wrapped downpipe,which is stainless, and it really reduces the underhood temperature. I understand that the thermodynamics are better, too. Heat equals turbine efficiency, so wrapped headers should equal an improvement in spool up of the turbo,also.

I will be taking my downpipe off soon to have a WBo2 welded in.

What does wrapping it do other than reducing the underhood temps?
Is it worthwhile?
And where do you buy the wrapping material, and is there a special method of wrapping?

Thanks, and I hope to not hijack your thread.

Mike

Wrapping a mild steel pipe is not recommended on the turbo car. They will tend to rust internally REAL fast. Stainless should be fine. I do NOT wrap stainless headers, especially the cross over due to the chance of the rear main, valve cover, or other oil leak prone spots to create a HUGE fire under the car. The thermal wrap acts like a wick, and once it lights off, you will REALLY hate the thermal wrap.:eek:

I wrapped a stainless down pipe on my LC2 equipped GTA, I used teh aluminumized stuff it looked good and when I removed it the pipe wasnt as tarnished as the unwrapped sections near the top and bottom.

Do ceramic coating if you can find someone to do it for you. As already mentioned, sometimes the wrap can trap moisture and cause rust and also the risk of fire if they get oil soaked.

Ceramic coatings can protect up to 2000degrees and guys have reported being able to put their bare hand on a coated downpipe at full engine temperature and not get burned.

I will be taking my downpipe off soon to have a WBo2 welded in.

What does wrapping it do other than reducing the underhood temps?
Is it worthwhile?
And where do you buy the wrapping material, and is there a special method of wrapping?

Thanks, and I hope to not hijack your thread.

Mike

Mike:
Wrapping insulates the heat in the pipe from the rest of the under-hood stuff. It also keeps the heat (energy) in the pipe to be used in the turbo. Worthwhile; It was on my truck. Stopped the vapor lock. I've done it on motorcycles and other cars; just never anything with a turbo. The manufactures claim it will help with turbo spool time.

I've always used Moroso or Thermo Tech Cool It. I don't like the stuff with copper or any other metal in it. I talked to one of their engineers about it; and he said "it's a more dense material; and it insulates better." I told him that it just takes a while to heat up; then it's almost as hot as the non-insulated parts. He didn't seem to care.

Wrapping is not too hard; just time consuming. Best if you have everything off the car.

Do ceramic coating if you can find someone to do it for you. As already mentioned, sometimes the wrap can trap moisture and cause rust and also the risk of fire if they get oil soaked.

Ceramic coatings can protect up to 2000degrees and guys have reported being able to put their bare hand on a coated downpipe at full engine temperature and not get burned.

I may try this on the next car.

Thanks for the info,

Joe

As Gene said, no wrap on m/s pipes. Most mfgrs won't warranty headers that have been wrapped.
Do the ceramic coating, and be done w/ it.