Head Gasket Questions??

86 TR

Work In Progress
Its probably been asked,but I will ask again. What is the best headgasket on the market today for running 25+psi? I just blew 2 on my car they were the stock graphite gaskets. I was pushing the boost to about 25 when they let loose.

I see SCE makes copper gaskets with bead sealing around the water passages. Is anyone out there running these Sce's without problems with water leakage?? Im looking to build a 10-second car this winter.

I know the stock graphite gasket can take alot but was just looking for opinions on the others available. I do plan on installing ported heads, intake, and a roller cam this winter. I also am going to use head studs this time instead of head bolts. Maybe after I put the heads, intake on I could run less boost and make good power???

Any input is appreciated!

Ive had good luck with the factory HG on the buick knock on wood. I went with cometics for the TTA ive heard alot of good results. RJC supose to be good too.

How fast are you going to go? Boost pressure is meaningless when picking something like head gaskets. The amount of cylinder pressure, AKA power, on the other hand is very important. If you're going to stay in the 11's I would run 9441's. If you're going to go faster than that I'd look into some other options. Not for nothing but how quick was your combo when the two gaskets let go?

What I've been told, and it makes sense, is choose your head gasket by the type of engine you are running. If you have stock cast pistons, crank, and stock caps, why use a super strong combo of studs and cometics? If you get even slight detonation at 25+ psi, and the HG's aren't the safety valve any more, guess what will be? Your pistons or crank going through the pan. If you have forged pistons, steel crank, steel caps or a girdle, then it is a different story. Still though, I don't think the boost you are running is the reason for blowing the gaskets. It's our arch enemy detonation. By eliminating detonation, I think any gasket/head bolt combo would hold up. I am doing HG's myself and have a stock engine, so I am going with GM composite gaskets and GM TTY bolts. My $.02

Steve

how about wireloc/o-ringed heads? what is the advantage there? i have them on my car with victor HG's, i was told before when i bought them but now i have completely forgot! what exactly do they do is what im asking?

The 1007 wire-locks work good, IF and only IF you have the grooves cut by a dang good machinist. Most machine shops use the BHJ tool and I feel that that tool is very inadaquate to hold a .001" tolerance over a 4.100" diameter. The groove is VERY critical. Done perfect, they work REAL good. Now, with that said, just have the block decked and the heads milled to the proper RHR finish and the Cometics work flawless. Nothing special here, just a good quality milling machine. The decks (both of them) MUST be very smooth, almost mirror like. You can also re-use the Cometics a few times.

How fast are you going to go? Boost pressure is meaningless when picking something like head gaskets. The amount of cylinder pressure, AKA power, on the other hand is very important. If you're going to stay in the 11's I would run 9441's. If you're going to go faster than that I'd look into some other options. Not for nothing but how quick was your combo when the two gaskets let go?

The car has ran the best of a 11.20 @ 119mph at 25psi boost. With stock heads, and intake, and the 9441 felpro gaskets.

Im looking to run in the mid-upper 10's. Not all the time because I don't have a cage anyway, just when I want to turn the boost up once and a while.