Has anyone here used an auto transport service?

wildcard

Gbody Finatic
Moving from the east coast towards the west coast. I've decided to use an auto transport service to move my 86 T-type out there. What I'd like to know is if anyone here has a higher opinion of one particular company over another. Also what did you do to your car before handing it over? My car is a daily driver w/ over 200k miles and needs paint so I'm not worried about how it looks when I get it as long as I actually get it. Any stories good or bad would be helpful. I was thinking of driving it out there, but it already needs new tires, turbo, and who knows what else. I was quoted 895.00 by Goldstar Transport out of Raligh NC. Thats the only one I've looked at so far.

That's a pretty decent price. I just had a car moved from socal to chicago last year and it was about $800 or so. I was not impressed with the company I used. I don't remember the name but it wasn't goldstar. Just make sure you know all the details before you go forward and try to get them in writing. The transport company most likely uses independant truckers so make sure you know what's required of them and get the phone number of the truck that will be taking your car. They should call you a day in advance to set up a time but don't take it to much to heart and make sure you make yourself available for a while after the agreed time in case the truck gets hung up somewhere. My car was supposed to be picked up at 4pm and the truck didn't come until 9pm. Same goes for the dropoff time. Since the trucker will have a whole bunch of cars to pick up and drop off along the way he has no way of knowing who is going to meet him on time and who is going to make him wait for 12 hours So don't count on your car showing up on the exact day/time they tell you. One other thing. They'll let you keep a certain amount of extra weight in the car so you might as well ship whatever they'll let you with the car if you're moving. It'll probably be about 50 lbs but it's something. Good luck. james

Yes I have....

My advise to you is, dont go for the "best deal". Most "agents" are just that. They are booking agents that have nothing to do with the actual move other than arranging it thru one of their many different contacts in the trucking industry. Most of them use individual contractors (owner/drivers) that are just looking to fill their trucks and their routes usually take them all over the US, zigzagging their way from one coast to the other, dropping off and picking up cars along the way. This will normally causes delays to the delivery of your vehicle. Also, do not pay a deposit. The deposit is the "fee" that these agents charge for their involvement in the transaction and normally when they collect the deposit, you end up waiting and waiting for a truck to come get your vehicle while they try to find one that has an open spot for it.

I recommend going thru a major moving/trucking company that hires drivers to drive company trucks. This normally costs a bit more, but they will have more accurate delivery dates and probably better liability coverage.

I am paying $1300 for my move from SC to WA. This is thru City Movers (west coast) contracting United Van Lines.

Hope this helps and good luck with your move.... :cool:

Bill

ive shipped two cars with tp global auto transport. from houston to minnesota on one and from houston to new york on another.

both were shipped for less than $750, with no problems. both were "inop's" as well. ask for trung.

if anything, make sure whoever you use, not to put a leaky car above yours.

Good advice from all the above posters. I used The Car Shipping Company . They transported my GN from Florida to Cali then shipped it to Hawaii...not a single problem, I always knew where my car was at any given time and it arrived on schedule. The only advice I would offer is to stay away from the guys who offers you the cheapest price.

a couple of things to watch out for if you've got multiple company quotes;
you get what you pay for
tell them you will not be paying anymore than the quote
don't let them tell you the car won't start or the battery is dead as they likley killed your battery on purpose to add an extra charge.
track the car or they may tell you they don't know where it is
it may not be delivered the day promised and no one may return your calls for 3 days straight and for some reason every person you spoke with had a Russian accent??? before the car dissapears for a while
ask how many times the car gets transferred on to a different truck...they might say 2 but will likely be 6 by the time you get it.
when you get will it be on a car trailer:mad: driven by a Russian who can't speak english:eek: and you have to help him push the car off
...lol...jus my experience...i mean nightmare:mad:

We use RAT (ready auto transport) at the dealership and have had no issues yet, but as stated, they are just a broker service for owner/operators and every one so far has been a different truck/owner. some have some pretty nice cars loaded up when they come through, one had a lambo murcialago (sp?). We get ordinary cars but some of them are worth $20k+ and the truckers are all very careful to note preexisting daage when loading to cover their @sses. Based on what you describe your biggest possible issue would be someone screwing with it while its parked at a truck stop or something.

your biggest possible issue would be someone screwing with it while its parked at a truck stop or something.

This is the reason I was thinking about pulling the centercaps, radio, and some other miscellaneous items off the car so as to not attract the wrong kind of attention to it.

If you are really concerned about the car, just call Horseless Carriage. I use them 3 times a week average. They have jump boxes, they know their way around a car, they cover it in plastic at your request, they haul enclosed, they huddle together at truck stops (I have huddled with them)

Call them and ask for Frank. Frank is "to the point" so if your panties wrinkle easily, call someone else.

Also Gran Turismo are very good.

When you drop the car, make a detailed list of the exterior and interior condition. Right down to the gnat crap specs. Get mileage, Ask for the car to forward on the transport - this way they aren't moving it out every time they need to get another car out.

If you do end up calling Horseless, let me know. I know the drivers and can put in a good word.

I bought my car in Pennsylvania on Nov. 30, 03 found a transporter that was from Florida (found out he was a broker) and quoted approx. $800... after waiting 2 months- holidays,etc., blah, blah, I cancelled contract with him and the other transport I hired had the car in Washington state in a week!! Car finally arrived on February 13, 2004!! So just beware- sometimes its better to pay a little more to a reputable company...

Moving from the east coast towards the west coast. I've decided to use an auto transport service to move my 86 T-type out there. What I'd like to know is if anyone here has a higher opinion of one particular company over another. Also what did you do to your car before handing it over? My car is a daily driver w/ over 200k miles and needs paint so I'm not worried about how it looks when I get it as long as I actually get it. Any stories good or bad would be helpful. I was thinking of driving it out there, but it already needs new tires, turbo, and who knows what else. I was quoted 895.00 by Goldstar Transport out of Raligh NC. Thats the only one I've looked at so far.

You could probably rent a trailer and tow it out there yourself cheaper. Daily driver with over 200K that needs paint, throw it on a u-haul trailer.

Try these guys, ask for Ryan. I've used them on 3 different occasions. They shipped my 87 GN and my 86 Mustang GT. 2 weeks ago they shipped my 2003 Cobra from Manchester New Hampshire to Jacksonville Florida for $600 bucks. They have excellent service.

A Across USA Auto Transport
800-243-0066

You could probably rent a trailer and tow it out there yourself cheaper. Daily driver with over 200K that needs paint, throw it on a u-haul trailer.

I wanted to drive it out originally from SC to NV, but need new tires, turbo, and who knows what else. With what it would cost in gas to get it out there, I think it will even out if I just have it transported out there. I am already towing my 84 Grand Prix on a car hauler. This is why the Buick is not getting towed out there behind the Uhaul. The Grand Prix is a much nicer car and is currently getting some mods that I would not choose to test out from SC to NV. :biggrin:

Check out www.reliable-carriers.com I had a car shipped in an enclosed trailer and cost me 1300 dollars and took ABOUT 2 weeks from Chicago Illinois to Mesa Arizona in 2007. I have no complaints about them .( not a Grand National )