Grand National and GNX are returning!!

I will, obviously the clue bus passed you by. Who do you think they built them for soccer moms :rolleyes:

Our cars have just as many if not more seats than these new 4-doors will. G Bodies...not all of them were 2-door cars.

It amazes me how someone can complain about the "threat" of a newer, more refined, safer, better handling, faster version of a legend. This will be no "threat" to our beloved 80's Turbo Buicks. If anything, the new ones will increase people's interest in the older Turbo cars.

Hope they are 2 door, has twin turbo v6, AWD w/strong trans, good brakes, great handling and comfortable seats and can bust a stock vettes ass....LOL

ross87t said:
Our cars have just as many if not more seats than these new 4-doors will. G Bodies...not all of them were 2-door cars.

It amazes me how someone can complain about the "threat" of a newer, more refined, safer, better handling, faster version of a legend. This will be no "threat" to our beloved 80's Turbo Buicks. If anything, the new ones will increase people's interest in the older Turbo cars.

A lot of discussion over a car they may not build... I don't think its a threat, but why call it a Grand National or T-type if the only thing that is going to be similar is the badging? Just call it something else...

A lot of discussion over a car they may not build... I don't think its a threat, but why call it a Grand National or T-type if the only thing that is going to be similar is the badging? Just call it something else...

Because people like to buy names. Look at the GTO. It looked like a cavalier, but people bought the name.

Agreed. I mean look at the new Dodge Dart Turbo, it shares absolutely nothing with the original Dart...quote]

Certainly doesn't.... it's an even BIGGER turd. :eek:

..........or perhaps it will just perpetuate the "grandpa car" image for both genre.........:rolleyes:

FAIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If they plan to make it a freakin four door car that looks like a Caddy, put a Caddy emblem on it. If your going to make a Grand National, make a Grand National. Pontiac failed with the newer GTO's, why on Earth would Buick make the same fail? Make it two door, rear wheel drive V6 not the V8 and make all of them black! And make that V6 FAST!

If I wanted to buy a CTS, I'd buy a CTS. GM wonders why Ford is so successful right now. Why, becuase they made their Mustangs look like Mustangs and made them rip. then GM brings the Camaro out 7 years late in the game and in my opinion, they are ugly as sin. Although they do look similar to the old Camaros, which is cool, they need to make them look wider in the rear and have a killer stance, one thing Ford NAILED! I'm so tired of seeing CTS looking cars all over the place, getting really old.

Make the Grand National unique, thats the reason people bought them in the first place.

Pontiac failed with the newer GTO's, why on Earth would Buick make the same fail?

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you............ The Rendezvous!

aka The Pontiac Aztec..... ugliest car EVER.

And Buick ate it right up...........

2003_buick_rendezvous_cxl_auburn_ca_96635151168807335.jpg

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you............ The Rendezvous!

aka The Pontiac Aztec..... ugliest car EVER.

And Buick ate it right up...........

View attachment 176212

My wife drives that exact same car, same color and all!! LOL!!!! It is ugly as hell but she loves it!:D

Yes, if Buick follows Pontiacs shoes, they are wasting their time on this Grand National and will ultimately ruin the GN name, just like the fail of the GTO.

I agree that the GN should come back as more of a retro style like the challenger and mustang... The GTO was, in my eyes, an over powered grand am. The charger, well, it's ugly. I love the GN. I always have. If GM wants a hit, they'll lurk around here and get out input... 4 doors? I'm not so keen on it. My GN simply looks bad ass and goes really fast in a straight line.. The seats suck, the handling sucks, the braking sucks... But it's a GN, there are many like it but this one is mine... The legendary status follows it where ever I go. I rarely ever get challenged. Whether I'm a 12 second car or a 9 second car... No one knows. If GM makes this car true to the spirit of the original, it will sell.

I don't need another car but, I would be very interested in buying the new GN if it was a "real" GN and not some universal chassis with some gn badging.

It will be two door or I wont own it. Cruising in my mom's car isn't what I am after. It doesn't have to be a sports car. It was a family car when first introduced and can be a hopped up version again.

It MUST be a Two door coupe for me to consider it. It must have rwd, it must have a decent back seat and trunk. And It MUST have pah!

Are you listening GM?

Just a point of reference, to throw a little gasoline on the 2-door vs. 4-door debate... Here is a complete list of 2011 global sales for Fiat/Chrysler. Check out Number 17 (Dodge Charger, the 4-door) and Number 27 (Dodge Challenger, the 2-door). I'm sure the powers-that-be at GM see this data, too.

Model Breakdown
  1. Ram 1500-5500 - 310,368
  2. Fiat UNO - 297,234
  3. Fiat Punto - 283,248
  4. Fiat Palio/ Siena/ Albea - 260,068
  5. Fiat 500 - 190,875
  6. Fiat Panda - 190,419
  7. Dodge Grand Caravan - 164,291
  8. Jeep Wrangler - 162,550
  9. Jeep Grand Cherokee - 156,257
  10. Fiat Strada - 126,535
  11. Dodge Journey - 107,260
  12. Chrysler Town & Country/ Grand Voyager - 103,383
  13. Chrysler 200/ Sebring/ Cirrus - 96,972
  14. Jeep Liberty/ Cherokee - 78,624
  15. Fiat Doblo - 78,168
  16. Fiat Ducato - 77,746
  17. Dodge Charger - 77,309
  18. Jeep Patriot - 74,717
  19. Alfa Giulietta - 74,519
  20. Dodge Avenger - 68,724
  21. Jeep Compass - 61,382
  22. Lancia Ypsilon - 60,266
  23. Dodge Durango - 55,444
  24. Fiat Linea - 53,643
  25. Fiat Fiorino(Euro)/ Qubo - 49,288
  26. Dodge Caliber - 45,889
  27. Dodge Challenger - 42,627
  28. Fiat Bravo - 41,817
  29. Chrysler 300 - 40,558
  30. Alfa MiTo - 38,010
  31. Fiat Idea - 36,526
  32. Dodge Nitro 26,972
  33. Fiat Fiorino(S.Am) - 26,338
  34. Lancia Delta - 17,639
  35. Lancia Musa - 16,130
  36. Fiat Freemont - 15,785
  37. Ram Dakota - 13,754
  38. Fiat Scudo - 12,909
  39. Fiat Sedici - 12,537
  40. Alfa 159/ Brera/ Spider - 8,916
  41. Chrysler PT Cruiser - 2,390
  42. Maserati GranCabrio/ GranTurismo - 2,105
  43. Ferrari 458 - 1,368
  44. Lancia Voyager - 1,149
  45. Ferrari California - 866
  46. Ram C/V - 840
  47. Lancia Thema - 666
  48. Fiat 600 - 511
  49. Fiat Croma - 419
  50. Chrysler Ypsilon - 342
  51. Maserati Quattroporte - 310
  52. Fiat Multipla - 300
  53. Alfa 147/ GT - 295
  54. Fiat Stilo - 251
  55. Chrysler Delta - 234
  56. Dodge Viper - 232
  57. Ferrari 599 - 215
  58. Ferrari FF - 198
  59. Lancia Phedra - 167
  60. Fiat Ulysse - 142
  61. Jeep Commander - 105
  62. Ferrari F430 - 26
  63. Alfa 8C - 21
  64. Ferrari 612 Scaglietti - 5
Time will tell if GM even does a GN, and how many doors it will have. It's all rumor and speculation until GM releases official information.

Honestly, from my personal perspective, I'm torn. The 2-door would undoubtedly look better and be more true to the original. However, in my current job, I often need to travel with co-workers or customers. Asking a customer who buys millions of dollars worth of product from my company to squeeze into the back seat of my 2-door muscle car could be a problem. So, I usually shop for 4-doors, at least for my daily driver.

Hmmm...

Sorry, but anything Government Motors touches looks like crap. Dont bring back the GN . Let it live in the hearts of Americans that still own them. Why ruin such a great legacy.....
I can see it now... when they do decide to do this(which they will...because its another GM deathroll) you'll hear kids saying" I have a GN too." Websites and forums will be produced and a little section for the OLD gn's will be in the bottom corner.

You guys are too funny. Everyone expects General Motors to hit a home run right out of the gate. Lest we forget that the original 1982 Grand National was a naturally aspirated Regal with a 4.1 V6 and 125 horsepower? Considering that is how the legacy of the infamous GNX was started and founded upon, I would think that an all Black 4-door Grand National sporting twin turbo's making 400-450 horsepower would be an excellent start for its' reintroduction.

You guys are too funny. Everyone expects General Motors to hit a home run right out of the gate. Lest we forget that the original 1982 Grand National was a naturally aspirated Regal with a 4.1 V6 and 125 horsepower? Considering that is how the legacy of the infamous GNX was started and founded upon, I would think that an all Black 4-door Grand National sporting twin turbo's making 400-450 horsepower would be an excellent start for its' reintroduction.

Way to go and ruin this thread with a positive outlook, common sense and reasonable thinking.

FAIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pontiac failed with the newer GTO's, why on Earth would Buick make the same fail?

I didn't like the new GTO's but what is considered a fail?
They did sell thousands of them.

D

Agreed. Just don't put it in a cookie cutter body that looks like everything else out there. Once again, I think the retro look would be a real selling point. After all it was the last real muscle car.

Just a point of reference, to throw a little gasoline on the 2-door vs. 4-door debate... Here is a complete list of 2011 global sales for Fiat/Chrysler.

I'm sure the Neon and PT cruiser sold a lot... if they slapped a roadrunner nameplate on it, I wouldn't be buying one :D

Bringing back a car and have it look completely different is a big FAIL.
If they could do it right with the Mustang and Challenger, GM could at least try and get it right.. otherwise maybe Buick should be the next nameplate to expire !

If GM has a clue at all, they would be looking at this and other TR sites and seeing the feedback current owners have, otherwise who are they marketing it to ? Current Cadi owners, which the car is based on, aren't gonna want a Buick nameplate.

How's about they just call it a GS or Gran Sport? IMO, unless they're returning to NASCAR with this thing, the Grand National name isn't real appropriate but T-Type works.