Got pulled over today....

"Turbo-T"

V6 on steroids
Was out on a back country road about to turn onto another road when I saw a state trooper pass by. I turned in the opposite direction he was going and drove away doing the speed limit. A few minutes roll by and I see a Crown Vic getting closer and closer in the rear view until ol boy turns the lights on.

I pull over and roll down the windows. He comes up with his hand on his holster.
Says he pulls me b/c my windows were too darkly tinted. Then he asks me to step out of the car and go back to his. :eek: So I complied, but instead of climbing in the rear I was told to climb up in the passenger side. :confused:

Never had this happen to me but anyways he runs my tags, license, insurance. I came back good to go but since I had out of state tags (Indiana tags in Missouri; here due to military) he lets me off with a warning.

And yet I had just been doing speeds in excess of 100 mph just 10 minutes earlier. :eek: Really has changed my mind about going fast out here in the country where I didn't think cops would hang out at.

But why would the cop have me sit in his car in the front seat while running my info????

Did you make eye contact when you passed him? I learned years ago that they don't like that. Kind of like driving through the hood or getting near dogs. Not cop bashing here, just an observation.

Did you make eye contact when you passed him?

No, but when I stopped at the intersection and watched him pass by, I didn't immediatley go....because I pulled out my new cell phone and wanted to see if it got any type of reception out in the boonies.

The cop was pretty cool. He was a state trooper, and I had always heard bad stories about state troopers. We talked a few minutes in the car about our jobs, how long I had been in, etc. He didn't bother asking me about the car though. Though he did notice my license plate frame that mentioned "when the turbo spins the bull**** ends"....he just mentioned how it obscured the license plate some to where you had to look close to see what state the tags were for since they weren't Missouri tags.

Here in Oklahoma you get to sit in the front seat of the troopers car..don't ask LOL but her was nice and let me off with a warning. :)

Steve

Happened to me when I was in MO as well. I was pulled "because I was riding the left lane on the interstate". I was actually passing someone but that moron sped up about the time I was beside them. Regardless, I know he pulled me over because my windows were painted to match the car. :D The lack of a front tag was also obvious (which should indicate out of state totally negating a stop for window tint since the vehicle isn't registered in that state, but...). I will say, the guy was really cool. Asked about the car. He had no idea what to call in since it's not really badged. He told me he called the tag in and gave the vehicle description as "it's a car from the 80s and it's ALLLLL black... Maybe a Monte Carlo or somethin'??" He and I laughed about that and shot the sh!t while we sat in his car waiting on my info to come back. I will admit, that was a first sitting in the front seat of the cruiser. The LA troopers definitely don't do that. Seems kinda dangerous to the officer IMO.

I'm not really sure what is going thru some Cops minds when they direct someone out of their car into theirs if they are NOT in handcuffs. That's just plain stupid imo.

Did he even pat you down for weapons? Based on what you said he would have no legal justification to pat you down for weapons so if he is gonna put you anywhere I would think he would put you in the back seat as long as there was a cage.

I can see placing you in his back seat for officers safety but keeping you in your own car is a much safer way of doing business unless he is gonna toss ur car and I don't see what justification he would have for that either unless you gave him consent to search your car.

If you gave him verbal or written consent you have the right to stop that search at any time which would be kinda hard to do while locked in the back seat of his car and could raise a 4th ammendment issue in court which is why he should wait for cover before doing that.

I see it all the time down south. Especially in Texas where they take multible passengers out to search a car then get jumped and killed as a result.

There is no possible way for him to search ur car and watch you at the same time.

It's called "This guy looks safe, he aint gonna shoot me":rolleyes: That type of complaciancy is what gets the majority of cops killed.

I agree Brett... I think it's very unsafe to put someone up front with the officer.

A buddy of mine is a MO State guy. I will ask him if this is their policy or something they do by choice when I talk to him later.

I know in my case, he did not pat me down. Didn't ask if I had a weapon in the car (which I did). Didn't ask if I had one on me (which I usually do). Very dangerous had I been a bad guy.

I agree Brett... I think it's very unsafe to put someone up front with the officer.

A buddy of mine is a MO State guy. I will ask him if this is their policy or something they do by choice when I talk to him later.

I know in my case, he did not pat me down. Didn't ask if I had a weapon in the car (which I did). Didn't ask if I had one on me (which I usually do). Very dangerous had I been a bad guy.
Well, the Connecticut State police have take home cars that are unmarked and they transport ALL prisioners to jail in the front seat which I think is terribly stupid but to transport in the rear would require a cage and most Troopers do not want one cause they take they family in their car when off duty. Not sure why they would so that either but hey that's their chioce I guess.

But a Trooper would never just place someone in their front seat while they ran them on a routine motor vehicle stop (If there is such a thing as routine:rolleyes:). If someone was in their front seat they are gonna be in hand cuffs and seatbelted.

As far as the weapon thing goes I would never suggest telling a cop that you are armed unless he asked. Your not required to tell him that you are armed and if you have no intention of using that weapon on him then its better off left that way.

No the cop did not pat me down for a weapons check. It might have had something to do with when I opened up my wallet he probably noticed my military ID card. But even then I would think as a cop you should never take anyone at face value.

Of course I did not have any weapons on me and there was no illegal contraband in my car. The officer did not ask to search my car either.

This is the first time in all the times I have ever been pulled over that a cop directed me to sit shot gun in his car while he runs my info. That's why I made this post....I cannot understand why he did what he did but then again I didn't bother to ask. I don't know if it's a Missouri thing or what...I've been pulled over in North Carolina and Indiana and none of those times did the cop have me sit in the passenger side seat.

When all this happened it was on a country road that is frequently traveled but it's a lot of open cornfields and such. I know I have heard when a cop pulls someone over they have to be in control at all times. Which in a way I thought maybe he was thinking that by placing me in the passenger seat of his car he was in control. But even then I would think if you were going to go that far you'd at least want to detain me.

driving my sons CA registered GTA conv thru South Dakota I got a no front plate warning ticket.
He took my license and registration and went back to his car. The later made me get out and stand with him while he wrote the ticket. Weird. He asked how I liked SD and since we were surrounded by corn fields and had been for 200 miles I just looked around and he laughed.

I've always been placed in the front seat when ever I was pulled over if I wasn't left in my own car. I've never had to sit in the back seat. The reason they put you in the front is that they are evaluating your condition. Easier to smell alcohol, watch your actions, and see your eyes while you are in the front. Did you notice him taking any deep breaths or did he ask if you had been drinking??

Seems most of the Troopers here do the front seat thing. Very stupid in my eyes. Most of my buddies are local cops and some of them do it too. I think it is laziness so they don't have to get out and walk back to your car again. You wouldn't catch me doing that, seems like a death wish.

Bryan

As far as the weapon thing goes I would never suggest telling a cop that you are armed unless he asked. Your not required to tell him that you are armed and if you have no intention of using that weapon on him then its better off left that way.

That is a excellent subject to discuss... I have seen cops act both ways about this one... Since I have recieved my CC permit I always tell them I have the weapon, some look like I am nuts for telling;) Before I had that I didn't say chit:biggrin:

Agreed with Brett, with all the gun toting individuals in AZ and Nevada esp here in Sin City, we are always pulling over people with CCW. Some shouldnt have it b/c of their priors even though no convictions and I have had to revoke a few based on their negative interaction with myself as well as other officers (i.e. crimes they commit against us or "citizens." I pull people out of the car and everyone gets patted down, more or less searched b/c with all the gang violence and ex felons in my area very few people have clean records. Or it "somehow escapes my memory" of that armed robbery/stolen vehicle or possession of dangerous drugs you had 10 years ago, "it was so long ago" type bs i deal with day in and day out. Complacency kills and you have to be on the A game. I invite any member on here if they visit Vegas to do a ridealong with me and show you what we do. The average citizen thinks by watching cops they know everything. Definitely not the case. Two things i said after taking this job i would always do: 1. Pat down everyone. 2. work out every day so i dont get fat. so far so good. as brett said the deep south and plain states and even minnesota they have you come to there car. people are always checked for weapons in front of my car and only if they are going to jail or they are getting tickets and their vehicle towed are they going to front of my car to sign w/e paperwork needs to be signed.

I've always been placed in the front seat when ever I was pulled over if I wasn't left in my own car. I've never had to sit in the back seat. The reason they put you in the front is that they are evaluating your condition. Easier to smell alcohol, watch your actions, and see your eyes while you are in the front. Did you notice him taking any deep breaths or did he ask if you had been drinking??

I didn't notice him taking any deep breaths and no he never asked if I had been drinking.

If you are guilty , you are guilty .... I got pulled over 3 times in 6 months over LEGAL tint on my 96' z28 ... never pulled over EVER in my other tinted (legal) cars.

I guess the bright red paint and loud exhaust adds to it huh? ---

I agree 100%

I'm not really sure what is going thru some Cops minds when they direct someone out of their car into theirs if they are NOT in handcuffs. That's just plain stupid imo.

Did he even pat you down for weapons? Based on what you said he would have no legal justification to pat you down for weapons so if he is gonna put you anywhere I would think he would put you in the back seat as long as there was a cage.

I can see placing you in his back seat for officers safety but keeping you in your own car is a much safer way of doing business unless he is gonna toss ur car and I don't see what justification he would have for that either unless you gave him consent to search your car.

If you gave him verbal or written consent you have the right to stop that search at any time which would be kinda hard to do while locked in the back seat of his car and could raise a 4th ammendment issue in court which is why he should wait for cover before doing that.

I see it all the time down south. Especially in Texas where they take multible passengers out to search a car then get jumped and killed as a result.

There is no possible way for him to search ur car and watch you at the same time.

It's called "This guy looks safe, he aint gonna shoot me":rolleyes: That type of complaciancy is what gets the majority of cops killed.

Unsafe tactics like that drive me right up the wall and back down the other side. Nobody has the ability to know whats going thru someones head by just looking at them. The last guy in the news drove across country and was reported to walk up nice and cool before shooting up the place. Troopers placing motorists in the front seat is just plain stupid and if I were his supervisor, he would have my foot right up in his @ss. Rather do that then attend another Police funeral. By the way, interesting side note, here in Chicago, 2 weeks ago a Sgt. lost control on Lake Shore Drive and crashed the car. He died from his injuries but the hard part to take is the cars outside number was 7424. I drove that car from the day it was new to about 45k miles when it was the car assigned to my beat on days. I had one accident with the car when a stolen car offender drove right into the right front fender/wheel trying to escape after he was kinda "boxed in". I noticed the car was really taking a beating around 25k miles or so. It would rattle real bad over bumps, the front wheels would hop over bumpy streets at higher than normal speeds. The GM original brake pads lasted to almost 20k miles, but the replacement pads were done 2 times both under 10k miles. The car reportedly had 110k miles at the time of the accident so I can just imagine how bad the car was knowing how bad it was when I had it.