Got my BB CPT -65 today, or did I?

As the sig says, so far. I was planning on rebuilding as there tooo much shaft play to safely run it any more without worrying about the T350 wheel coming apart. 23#'s was as far as I got before I found this out. This was with 1.7 60's (track prep here is dragging a tractor tire down the track once a week). I know my combo hasn't been maxxed. I do think I'll pick up some MPH at the same boost levels though. What I'm mainly trying to achieve here is more response, but a little more turbo is coming with. I don't need something as big as a TE54A to accomplish my goals. I probably don't need anything bigger than a 52. But if I can go a little bigger WHILE increasing driveability it's worth it to me.

Go with the BB turbo. Then you can post and let these guys know what they are misssing out on. I will never have a none bb, spend the cash and make your car faster and gain streetability
Otto

points well taken.....I very much disagree with the spool up issue......I doubt you will find many cars that seriously race that worry about spool up....these cars have properly matched converters and power trains.....they run whatever turbo suits the combo

if you want to play somewhere beyond a race track, I hope your insurance is paid up........

BTW, if power made at 28 psi is the same as power made at 24 psi there is very little difference on the stress applied on the driveline.....hp is hp......better tuning required, maybe a little less stress because of pumping losses with lower boost (but I don't think anybody has ever tried to quantify this)

Woody. I think he's talking about a street car. While not everyone races on the street, we all like to hammer it on the street whether there is a car next to us or not. IMHO having owned 3 bb turbos, the quicker the spool, the funner it is to drive. At the track its all about heat, How many rpm's do you need at the line to spool your turbo up. The less convertor you need, the less rpm's you need to spool,the less heat you will produce, the more hp you will make, the less heat on the driveline, the easier it is on the driveline...not to mention going from 5#'s to 25#'s in a flash.

how do you keep the tires from frying with all that fast spool?

I generally leave at 4000 rpm at the track, but I doubt much excessive heat is built in 1.5 sec.......this with a 3600 stall converter

I just haven't found any tires that will handle any spool up on the street (that are legal) and I run ET Streets on the street (28X11.5X15)

I had Nitto DR's on. If I didn't heat em up 1st they would go up in smoke before the 1-2 shift from a dead stop, no torquing. I could only leave on 2psi with heated tires on the street (it would leave like a 3' burnout and then hook).

There is no way I could get my car up to launching boost in 1.5 seconds, especially now having a PT-88 I imagine it'll tak me forever and a day. I see alot of guys spool up to desired boost, usually about 4 seconds, then slowly bump through through and trip the second light, problably taking 10 seconds of spooling before they launch.

well, something ain't right because what I do is start spooling when all stage lites are lit (mine and the opponent)........I can hit 4,000 before the tree comes down (thats about 20 psi)

if you are running a pro lite, you have to build some before turning on the second bulb.....

Originally posted by azgn
how do you keep the tires from frying with all that fast spool?

(28X11.5X15)

UMMMM, by modulating the throttle if need be...... Driving.
I just don't see the need to have a car that drives like crap because it turns decent times. My car sppools great, IE drives great. Just because I like spool, that doesn't mean only at WOT. I like some response at half throttle. Just because it IS a street car and I want some response this doesn't mean i want it to bake a set of tires off every day. Having self control is possible while driving a turbo buick. But when I press the accelerator, I don't like waiting for the power to come up. It's no different than driving a NA car with nuts. You press the gas aaaaaaaand it goes? No, controlling wheelspin with my foot is prefferable to controlling it with spool.

EDIT: I know it's different with turbo cars, but the way these cars behave sometimes, some guys act like it's idle or WOT, no in between.:D

ok....whatever...I am a dragstrip guy...

BTW, my car does not "drive like crap".............it drives just fine...my converter is invisible on the street until you push the loud pedal..... (and my converter locks up at cruise.....)

Yes some guys light both lights before starting to spool, and some like to light 1 than spool. Guess its just driver preference. I've only been to 1 pro tree Buick event, but I would say most guys are spooling for at least 5 seconds before launch.

well, on a .5 tree, you have another 1-2 before the tree comes down....so 3 sec is prolly average

Originally posted by azgn
ok....whatever...I am a dragstrip guy...

:D

I'm a drive my car to work guy. And then I like to take my street car to the track, swap tires and gas, and roast guys that trailored to the track. Swap tires and gas back over and drive home.

uuummm...that is exactly what I do

I drive 100 miles roundtrip to the track....my car weighs 3700 plus pounds, all accessories work (believe me we need the a/c in AZ), and my converter locks at cruise

I put on the slicks and go...take em off and go home........

I don't drive it to work every day....it has 50K miles on it and I don't want to wear it out..........

on a pro tree, most start spooling after lighting the 1st bulb and slowly bump the second light, and not to mention that is if your not waiting for the guy next to you. I've never seen anyone on a pro tree wait to spool after lighting the 2nd bulb if the other guy is staged. I'm sure some can do it (get their car from 800rpm's 0 boost to their desired launching boost in 3 seconds) but most can't.

AV68U

U know Ryan I'm very offended by the comment you made earlier. :mad: :mad: "Cheater turbo" U got alot of you know what to even imply something like that on this forum. Precision has modified the turbo to make it legal in the class. I would explain it more but I'm now allowed to. Maybe you should investigate the situation further before you start to imply that people are trying to cheat their way into the class. Those who know me personally know I would NEVER cheat my way into any kind of sancioned event. I hate to start any flaming on the forum but I'm offended by that comment.

U know Ryan I'm very offended by the comment you made earlier. "Cheater turbo" U got alot of you know what to even imply something like that on this forum. Precision has modified the turbo to make it legal in the class. I would explain it more but I'm now allowed to. Maybe you should investigate the situation further before you start to imply that people are trying to cheat their way into the class. Those who know me personally know I would NEVER cheat my way into any kind of sancioned event. I hate to start any flaming on the forum but I'm offended by that comment.

I'm not sure , but I think he was talking about the turbo being a cheater turbo, not the person using it being a cheater. I thought some people were just expressing their thoughts on bb turbos,but it looks like some non bb guys took it as us saying a non bb turbo sucks, which no one said, in fact it was non bb turbo users who came into the thread (a thread where someone bought a bb turbo) and basically told him its not worth the money, or will not help him on the track etc. I know writing something on a board doesn't always express the way we want to say something, and in such an impersonal enviroment like this we tend to take what someone says the worst way we can.

GNSCOTT

You your probabally right. The thread did get a little off topic. Things got a little misinterpreted. I would expect racers to act professionally with each other... espcially on a public forum.

Any turbo bigger than a t25 is cheating. lol ;)
I can just see people going to 6 x t25's in a crazy limited turbo class haha.

Yea, I think he just meant that the way at least this turbo was first built, it was illegal for the class it was intended for. Alot of times, turbo manufacturers will try to bend or get around the rules and then offer that turbo to a select few to give them an advantage. I know there are a few guys who get what I call "cheater" turbos. I'd love to see some tech guys crack some of those turbos op[en and do real measurements rather than just using a plug or template.;)