Got my BB CPT -65 today, or did I?

GNSCOTT

The turbo is completely legal. The reason it is not being allowed into the class because it was not readily available by Dec. 1 2002. (for this year's racing) The turbo will be legal for next season. I cant comment any further than that.

John,

Why the certainty, yet schrouded in secrecy......... from what is being discussed on the GNT board, the 71 plug did not fit...... period.

By Lonnie Diers on Wednesday, June 04, 2003 - 07:27 am:

The 71.5mm gauge does not fit the compresser housing. The
housing does not have a tapered inlet there for the ported
shroud is the largest air inlet area to measure from. That
area is around 74mm or maybe a little more. The other issue
not even posted is the availabilty issue. These are all
issues for 2003. If you do not consider the ported shroud
the turbo inlet at the compresser inlet fit the turbo plug
like a glove.

Jack,
What I'll do for you is take a picture of the compressor housing and you can judge for yourself. Its difficult for me to explain in words what precision has done to make it legal. You will just have to see the pics. I'll will post them very soon. Happy motoring!

-John

I'm gonna bring it a little further off topic here. So in the rules, what the hell constitutes the size of the turbo? I thought you measure the wheel with a dial caliper, and thats gospel. I thoiught the maximum wheel size allowed is a 70mm???

Supposidly there is a puck that is exactly 71.5mm is diameter that tech uses to inspect the compressor housing inlet. Here are the rules from the TSM website.

Turbo
· Single 3-bolt turbo only.

· Maximum size compressor wheel is 70mm. Inlet bore should not exceed 71.5mm to allow for machining tolerances on a 70mm compressor wheel.

· *No sleeves, welding or cold weld epoxy on any exterior surface of the turbo compressor housing to allow a larger than 70mm compressor wheel to be installed is allowed.

· *Note: One of the following turbine exhaust housings is allowed. A Garrett 3-bolt .63 or .82, a PTE 3-bolt .63 or .85 or a Turbonetics #20240-63 or #20240-82 that was available prior to December 1, 2002.

· Any air intake to turbo allowed.

· Any wastegate configuration acceptable, external wastegate(s) must be plumbed back into the exhaust system, no external dumps allowed.

-John

Originally posted by AV68U
I didnt think wishing someone goodluck was a bad thing.

well looks like it is Ryan. there you go again always wishing people good luck you good luck wishing, 10 sec GN driving, ass!

hahahahahahahahahaha! j/k:mad: :rolleyes: :confused: :eek: :cool: :D :) ;)

so if the compressor wheel is only 70mm,but the inlet bore is bigger than 71.5mm is that still legal????? because the overall inlet bore area is greater than 71.5mm on the turbo that wht87t has!Its more like 76 or 78 mm !!!! PLEASE NOTE i SAID OVERALL INLET BORE AREA!!!!!

wow..now i'm really lost. On your new turbo, can you clearly see that the wheel does not open up and get any bigger after it has cleared the inlet. I ask this because my PT88 still grows after the inlet.

The turbo has an inlet bore area of 71mm, but the turbe also has a extra bored out area around the normal inlet bore area! therefore making the overall inlet bore areagreater than 71.5 mm and the compressor wheel has fins on the back side behind the extra bored out area.Allowing the turbo to pull more air via the extra bored out area.

So it is safe to say that if the wheel is sticking out in the nrmal bore area, and that is 71mm, the wheel gets bigger than 70mm in the extra bored out area???

Maybe someone should move this thread over to the new turbo section. We can discuss this more there.

I agree...anyway you can take the compressor housing off and snap a pic of the wheel with a dial caliper on it?

The housing is being polished. I'll take some pics when I get it back.

-John

Disco Stu, hope you do not mind your thread being here?

Very good post, and hope it helps direct attention to our new "Turbo" forum.:)

U kno ryan it seems to me that I have to prove to you that the turbo is legal to run in TSM. Well last time I checked you dont deserve any explination. I'm glad you seem to know about the turbo more than I do even though you dont have your hands on one. When I make reyonlds and they tell me it aint legal I'll worry about it then. Its one hell of a turbo and I plan on bustin out some big numbers with it.

But I will take some pics of the housing to clear up some confusion about the turbo for the others.

-John

P.S. By the way ryan... when did you go 10s?

Originally posted by Nick Micale
Disco Stu, hope you do not mind your thread being here?

.:)

That's cool, I'm glad to see the new forum. Kinda funny how a thread about a comparably small turbo can spark debates about how far the rules of TSM can be interpretted. Not that I mind at all.

Ryan I called you the other day to talk to you about something , did you get my message and forget to call ? or did you change your #er? Give me a call tomarrow when you get a chance.

Jesse

Hey wht87t your right,it is one hell of a turbo, I saw it,But I doubt seriously if they are going to let you run in tsm with that turbo someone at bg got caught with that same "type" of turbo and they couldn't run it either! So maybe you know more of the rules than everyone else, and masybe your right,they might let you run it. but it is still a " cheater" turbo, so we know its bigger than a 71mm butif you don't bust out some big #s or low #s should I say we're going to busting your b :rolleyes: lls about it!!!!So good luck!!!!!

Ryan,
Last time I checked I have half the motor you have. I still have the stock rotating assembly from 87. I went a .34 with 20psi and got out at the 1000' mark. But I will gladly go back to the track and turn the boost up if you'd like. I'm sure I'll go better than a 11.20.

Alan,
I didnt know I was building a motor to impress you. Sorry to dissapoint you. :(