Got my BB CPT -65 today, or did I?

disco stu

Got my turbo in after 2 months, BB CPT-65. I't big, it's bad, and it's pretty, but is it ball bearing? Give it a good spin and it will make at around a full rotation maybe 1.5. The last time I saw one and the only time, it spun very freely. When it was on the car it would spool down for almost 5 sec after the car was shut down.
I think I know what I have in front of me but I don"t want to admit it.

The question I would like answered is, is there any definitive way to identify a BB center section, or are they the same housing as conventional turbos?

On the invoice it says: CPT 65 BB p-trim 63 housing $995.00.

Now that price does not reflect the price of a BB. I really hate to do this all again. I just want to GO. And my turbo has so much play I think it is going to wobble itself out of the housing. I know I will get this straightened out when I call Jack tomorrow, but what do you guys think?

I think you will like the thing right after you install it and get some oil up there. Bet it spins like a mother after that. :)

That's a good price too!!! I want one. :)

Yes, maybe so, but is it what I ordered? It is a good price...too good? Being willing to spend the cheddar on a BB, is a good indication that I REALLY want one. So, you can see my hesitance. After the anticipation, I just want to get on with it. But I also want to make sure an oversight hasn't taken place. I'm not sure what a new BB spins like, just one with miles on it. Could it be assembly lube?From what I hear, they spin like a top. And the price deal again. Invoice says BB, but the price doesn't, from a realistic viewpoint.:confused:

Stu,
I have a newly rebuilt T66 BB sitting next to me and it wil only make a couple of revolutions when spun. I also have a well worn 60-1 HiFi BB on the car and it spins several revs easily. I would also question it because of the price alone. I payed slightly more for my 66 but it was not new from a vendor it was used but freshly rebuilt by Turbonetics so I think that price is very good. I would'nt be supprised if Jack gets a bunch of calls for BB65 turbo's after people see this post.

HTH

this may help, If it a turbonetics turbo, look up the oil RETURN with a flashlight on the compressor side(intake side) you should see a hole drilled were the bearing is in the case, inside the hole you should see silver (bb) outer race. If it is not a BB it will be a brass color.
Hope this helps
Otto

For that price , you have a non bb turbo. I'd call Jack right away if you ordered a BB. He'll get it straightened out ASAP. Do not install it on the car! I'd be patient and wait for the bb. Its a world of difference.

BB turbos are better but it depends on the application. They can be better on the street. But at the track they do nothing for you. If you get to the line first and stage should give you plenty of time to get that thing spooled up. I know I'm certantly not running a BB in my TSM motor, I cant justify the price.

BB turbos are better but it depends on the application. They can be better on the street. But at the track they do nothing for you. If you get to the line first and stage should give you plenty of time to get that thing spooled up. I know I'm certantly not running a BB in my TSM motor.

Not always. Some turbos take longer to get up to the desired boost than others. The bb turbos "flash" up to desired boost. Why not run a bb in a TSM motor. Jack Cotton ran my T-80bb all last year with 0 problems. Its not just spool at the line, its also going from a 10psi launch to 30#'s.

The car is a street car, as a matter of fact my daily transportation. If it was just a strip toy I'd strap on what I got. But I want to upgrade, but I'd like it to still spool as good or better than it does now, which is really good. And I'd like it to crack a high ten when in a good race tune.

:rolleyes:

Talked to Jack. A snag in the line of communication. He's got a solution that might get me the turbo next weekend POSSIBLY sounds like. And is doing his best to make right. And knocked some bucks off somewhere. :cool: More time in hiatus, best to be used to get some more tires I guess. SO if someboby needs a 65 he'll have one on the shelf by next Monday. He's never done a BB cpt65 so we'll see how it does, and I'll post results. Just don't want to go too big and have a turbo that I'll never touch the efficiency range of. My part throttle surge is bad enough.

Damn, those are some pretty strong statements there Whitey. Guess you must have all the testing to support those claims. Hope you got 12,000 for a short block and the rest of the money for the rest of the car. :cool:

i got a 72 bb from Cotton and it would spool with a Pro Torque 10.5 lockup only flashing to 2200! but i opteed for a slightly looser convertor non lockup to lose the weight on the flywheel.
Otto

I can't comment on the GTQ turbos because I know nothing about them, but I do know you can spool up a CPT70bb with a 3500stall as well as I did my cpt66 w/ a 3k stall.:D

23 lbs with a 52?

you haven't even come close to what that turbo will do!

many folks have run faster with TA-49/TE-44.....

I don't think spending money on a turbo will gain you much until you max what you got.......with your combo, that should be bottom 11's

of course, that would be boost north of 25

AZ, I agree. The advantage to a bb though is the spool on the street and using a smaller stall (less heat).

"I don't think spending money on a turbo will gain you much until you max what you got.......with your combo, that should be bottom 11's

of course, that would be boost north of 25 "

Why would ya want to push a turbo beyond it or to it's limits? My rule of thumb is to build a car to run about 1\2 second faster than ya want it to run. running 25lbs plus of boost does not do a lot other than create a lot of heat. I prefer to run them around 24lbs max, to achieve the goal, higher if ya want to wrk on the car. most of us that drive our cars daily, don't want to push the envelope, can't afford to repair it, should it break.
Scott, good points, but benefits at the track are also worth it. Less where and tear on the drive line, quicker and easier spool up, less load and heat on the trans and convertor, larger .AR turbine housing, better topend when matched with the correct turbine wheel. BBturbos are just a win situation all around. But then, like we Harley owners often say, " If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand" ............